Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Why not a Live Ball Foul SPEARING, vs Buzz down Targeting ?

Coach Nowlin

Question

4 answers to this question

What you know as spearing is targeting in NCAA. That was an easy call on video but tougher to get in person as quickly as it happened and how it happened. The back judge is probably the only one would see the helmet contact and he's more focused on blocks in front of the runner at that point. The wings wouldn't have an angle and the umpire is straight lined from the other side and don't see the proximity of the defender's helmet. If the defender keeps his head up there is no foul there. The NCAA keeps that foul and keeps it punitive with the ejection because they still want to see that behavior change. Overall I believe the data has shown it has improved. This kind of hit is much more dangerous for the player initiating the hit than the one receiving the hit. Neck injuries and concussions are very common when using the crown of your helmet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JustRules said:

What you know as spearing is targeting in NCAA. That was an easy call on video but tougher to get in person as quickly as it happened and how it happened. The back judge is probably the only one would see the helmet contact and he's more focused on blocks in front of the runner at that point. The wings wouldn't have an angle and the umpire is straight lined from the other side and don't see the proximity of the defender's helmet. If the defender keeps his head up there is no foul there. The NCAA keeps that foul and keeps it punitive with the ejection because they still want to see that behavior change. Overall I believe the data has shown it has improved. This kind of hit is much more dangerous for the player initiating the hit than the one receiving the hit. Neck injuries and concussions are very common when using the crown of your helmet.

Thanks for the clarification.  I watched the game last night and didn’t think it was targeting.  But ESPN’s announcers covered it well which swayed me otherwise.  As it turns out, the guilty player, Swalski, has a history of this.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, JustRules said:

Reminded me of the Marc Buoniconi hit....glad he was ok.  

When I was in college, there was a video (Dick Vermeil narrated it) about neck injuries that included game film from "head down" tackles that led to paralysis or death (Chucky Mullins may have been one?).  Had to watch it each year before contact practices.  Not sure if it was an NCAA thing, or something we did.  Was one of the most miserable things I've ever had to watch.