Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC/HCC/Conference Indiana realignment

So with lots of threads lately about new conferences and realignment, I figured I would do one that could help make the MIC/HCC more fun and bring in a couple of Conference Indiana teams. It would help incorporate all the larger central Indiana schools into conferences that would provide less travel and provide good matchups. Here we go:

The teams that will be placed in these will be all 16 schools that are in the MIC and HCC right now. Along with Southport and Columbus North (I know DT will be happy that I add them). All 18 schools will be placed into 3 conferences with 6 teams in each. They will be placed by location to allow less travel. Now each school will play 5 conference games by playing each of the conference opponents. And then they will be able to play 4 non conference games to still get the big time matchups that we all know and love. I did not create names of the conferences yet, I have simply just named them off of their geographical locations.

North Metro:

Carmel, Westfield, North central, Noblesville, HSE, Fishers

West:

Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Avon, Pike, Zionsville, Southport

East:

Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North

Again, each of those are their own conferences. But with only 5 conference games, it gives teams plenty of opportunities to still play other matchups. Especially like the ones we all know and love (CG vs Carmel, WC vs BD, etc.)

Example schedule:

Center Grove (EAST)- 

vs Cathedral

vs Pike

vs Carmel

vs Ben Davis

vs Franklin central (conference)

vs  LN (conference)

vs LC (conference)

vs Columbus North (conference)

vs Warren (conference)

Something fun to think about for sure. I think it helps keep the big schools together but allowing multiple conferences that are better on travel. Plus it still gives the matchups we all want every year with having 4 non conference games. And this gives Southport and Columbus North places to go as Conference Indiana could be down a path of extinction. 

Thoughts? 

7 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

So with lots of threads lately about new conferences and realignment, I figured I would do one that could help make the MIC/HCC more fun and bring in a couple of Conference Indiana teams. It would help incorporate all the larger central Indiana schools into conferences that would provide less travel and provide good matchups. Here we go:

The teams that will be placed in these will be all 16 schools that are in the MIC and HCC right now. Along with Southport and Columbus North (I know DT will be happy that I add them). All 18 schools will be placed into 3 conferences with 6 teams in each. They will be placed by location to allow less travel. Now each school will play 5 conference games by playing each of the conference opponents. And then they will be able to play 4 non conference games to still get the big time matchups that we all know and love. I did not create names of the conferences yet, I have simply just named them off of their geographical locations.

North Metro:

Carmel, Westfield, North central, Noblesville, HSE, Fishers

West:

Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Avon, Pike, Zionsville, Southport

East:

Warren Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North

Again, each of those are their own conferences. But with only 5 conference games, it gives teams plenty of opportunities to still play other matchups. Especially like the ones we all know and love (CG vs Carmel, WC vs BD, etc.)

Example schedule:

Center Grove (EAST)- 

vs Cathedral

vs Pike

vs Carmel

vs Ben Davis

vs Franklin central (conference)

vs  LN (conference)

vs LC (conference)

vs Columbus North (conference)

vs Warren (conference)

Something fun to think about for sure. I think it helps keep the big schools together but allowing multiple conferences that are better on travel. Plus it still gives the matchups we all want every year with having 4 non conference games. And this gives Southport and Columbus North places to go as Conference Indiana could be down a path of extinction. 

Thoughts? 

I like it.

11 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Another “DT” style thread. MIC schools are satisfied. HCC schools are satisfied. CI is on their own. Nothing to see here.

Looks to me like The MIC reestablished its long term dominance over The HCC this season.  Kirschner's return to the conference reinforces this narrative.  

Lawrence Central is the one school that might be considering its options.  With stagnant / declining enrollment and a very uncompetitive athletic department, LC should look at other options including the HCC, Circle City or even Conference Indiana.  My personal favorite would be for LC to hook up with Southport and for both to approach the Circle City about membership.  

Another option might be for LC to possibly approach Fishers about switching conference positions.  Lonmg term, I think it might be better for Fishers and HSE to play in separate conferences.  They tend to dilute each other in the HCC.  I think Fishers with its enrollment approaching 3500 would be a very good long term fit in The MIC.

11 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Another “DT” style thread. MIC schools are satisfied. HCC schools are satisfied. CI is on their own. Nothing to see here.

You've spoken with all 16 athletic departments in determining their "satisfaction" I assume?

Or is this just your opinion?

Do tell.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, temptation said:

Can you honestly name ONE IHSAA sport in which Lawrence Central is clearly in the top half of the MIC?

Why does that matter? Franklin Central isn't in the top half of the HCC and you have them jumping to the MIC. I'm saying that LC left Conference Indiana and joined the MIC. The MIC is centrally located for travel and scheduling. The longest trip for them is probably BD or Center Grove. I have heard zero rumblings from anyone at LC that they are thinking of ditching the MIC. LN isn't leaving, and they're in the same district. This isn't a Perry/Southport situation.

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Why does that matter? Franklin Central isn't in the top half of the HCC and you have them jumping to the MIC. I'm saying that LC left Conference Indiana and joined the MIC. The MIC is centrally located for travel and scheduling. The longest trip for them is probably BD or Center Grove. I have heard zero rumblings from anyone at LC that they are thinking of ditching the MIC. LN isn't leaving, and they're in the same district. This isn't a Perry/Southport situation.

It DOES matter and while DT does like to throw things with little to no substance at the wall to see if they stick, taking the opposite approach and speaking in absolutes from the other side of town is no better.  Outside of travel, isn't a main cornerstone of conference affiliation competitive balance?  LC is is a non-factor for the conference title in all 20 IHSAA sports.

I do not have Franklin Central "jumping to the MIC" if you have read closely.  I have cited that Franklin Central's profile in terms of enrollment and SES will fit in more so with the MIC schools in the years to come as things continue to change and evolve.  Its common sense.

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

"They might pursue him, but I can't imagine Mike coming back into the MIC. Not at this stage of his career. Been there, done that, has the t-shirt."

You also couldn't "imagine" Kirschner going to Warren a few weeks back and that happened in your own backyard.

Maybe you aren't as plugged in to "the rumblings" as you think?

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, temptation said:

It DOES matter and while DT does like to throw things with little to no substance at the wall to see if they stick, taking the opposite approach and speaking in absolutes from the other side of town is no better.  Outside of travel, isn't a main cornerstone of conference affiliation competitive balance?  LC is is a non-factor for the conference title in all 20 IHSAA sports.

I do not have Franklin Central "jumping to the MIC" if you have read closely.  I have cited that Franklin Central's profile in terms of enrollment and SES will fit in more so with the MIC schools in the years to come as things continue to change and evolve.  Its common sense.

Keep me out of this!!!   😃

12 hours ago, temptation said:

IMHO, it would also look nicer on a map. The MIC with Franklin Central would be contiguous.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:04 PM, temptation said:

"They might pursue him, but I can't imagine Mike coming back into the MIC. Not at this stage of his career. Been there, done that, has the t-shirt."

You also couldn't "imagine" Kirschner going to Warren a few weeks back and that happened in your own backyard.

Yeah, I was wrong about that. I own it.

Just now, temptation said:

Yes you did.  THIS time.

Pretty definitive statement citing your “rumblings.”

DT and I go way back on this site. I would hope by now that my digs at him are taken by him for what they are worth. He digs back at me too. We've been doing this for...gosh...years. Back when he was Driven T before he was DT. I respect him for the stirring spoon he brings to the board. He knows how to get discussion going. When I agree with him, I say so. When I don't I say so. 

As far as the Kirschner deal at Warren, it came completely as a surprise to me. I haven't talked to Mike since he left BD at great length. It sounds like from his publicly available statements that his zeal for leading a major program came back at some point while at Mount Vernon and he saw an opportunity to lead his alma mater. It's a no brainer for WC if he wanted the job.

Similarly, I'd be shocked if Lawrence Central (or any of the current MIC teams) left the MIC. The original six of the MIC seem committed to continuing it, and Pike and LC joined up within the last 10 years. I just don't see LC leaving for any of the surrounding conferences when the MIC is the MIC. I think it would be foolish for any of the current teams to leave the MIC for another conference. 

I'll firmly state all of this is my opinion. Reasonably informed, but it's my opinion. I could be completely wrong, but I'd say that the MIC losing LC would be highly unlikely. If I am wrong, I'm very happy to be called out, roasted, served crow straight up with feathers, etc. I always have been since I started on the OLD GID back in the day.

• Like 3