Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Northern Indiana Questions to Ponder

The NIC is made up of 4 distinct groups:  The Big Boys (Elkhart and Penn) The Northern Star Group (New Prairie, Glenn, Jimtown, Bremen), The Catholics (St. Joe and Marian, and South Bend.

1. How happy are the non South Bend Schools with the conference in terms of competitiveness.

2. How financially feasible is it to schedule South Bend Schools.

3. Any ideas for realignment?  It seems that everyone can have a destination but the South Bend Schools.

Thoughts?

That's an interesting way to look at it.  The only thing I see as certain here is that the "Big Boys" and the "Northern Star Group" really have no business being in the same conference. I think the best way to fix the conference would be for Penn and Elkhart to either leave for another conference or go independent.  The remaining 10 schools would span from 2A to 4A.

I'm not sure what alternatives these schools would have in realignment.  8 is a pretty good number for a conference.  A few of the schools might fit in the NLC but I would think the NLC looks pretty set where they are at.  Bremen might fit in the Hoosier North but again they are at 8 and I would think Bremen prefers where they are at to that.  What really would work best is forming an 8 or 9 team conference out of those 10 schools.  I've heard people talk about consolidating Clay with the other South Bend high schools and that seems to make sense to me.  

So, I guess long-term I'd like to see Penn and Elkhart seek alternatives, South Bend to eliminate Clay, and the remaining schools to form a new NIC of Adams, Bremen, Glenn, Jimtown, Marian, New Prairie, Riley, St. Joe, and Washington.  Maybe if Jimtown would go to the NLC and Bremen to the Hoosier North, the new conference could be called the St. Joe County Conference.  

The NIC is more than a football conference. Adams, Riley, and Washington have each won a conference title since reorganization.  Riley and Adams are each rated in the top 10 in basketball this year.  It's been a while since Penn and Elkhart have won a conference title. Also Washington girls is one of the top teams in the state.  South Bend schools more than hold their own in two of the big 3 sports.    I also think LaSalle Lion is living in the past if he thinks Penn has a following of fans like they used to in the 80's and 90's.  

I agree with you Johnny, but football is the main moneymaker for most schools.  South Bend does not travel well.  That hurts for all sports.  Penn still travels better than any South Bend school does.  I think that is a problem for most multi high school corporations, especially in the North.

X...I agree that the Northern Stars school aren't a good fit.  I was thinking more Jimtown and New Prairie to the NLC and Glenn and Bremen to the Hoosier North.  

With South Bend...there are 4287 in the 4 high schools    Adams 1913, Clay 988, Riley 1148, and Washington 778.  If you combine Washington and Clay and move them to LaSalle...that school would have 1766.  Move 400 from Adams to Riley and you have two 1500 schools...all three would be in 5A for football.

As for the Catholics...they can stay put or possible go to the NLC as well...but that may make the conference too big/

49 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I agree with you Johnny, but football is the main moneymaker for most schools.  South Bend does not travel well.  That hurts for all sports.  Penn still travels better than any South Bend school does.  I think that is a problem for most multi high school corporations, especially in the North.

X...I agree that the Northern Stars school aren't a good fit.  I was thinking more Jimtown and New Prairie to the NLC and Glenn and Bremen to the Hoosier North.  

With South Bend...there are 4287 in the 4 high schools    Adams 1913, Clay 988, Riley 1148, and Washington 778.  If you combine Washington and Clay and move them to LaSalle...that school would have 1766.  Move 400 from Adams to Riley and you have two 1500 schools...all three would be in 5A for football.

As for the Catholics...they can stay put or possible go to the NLC as well...but that may make the conference too big/

If I'm the NLC, I'm not interested in expanding further.  8 is about a perfect number (for football) in my opinion because it allows you to play every conference opponent yet retain the flexibility to schedule 2 non-conference games.  If I'm an NLC member, I like where we're at right now.  When you go above 8, you lose non-conference opportunities or, if you go above 10, you end up with a messed up conference like the NIC currently is.  I think the NIC should focus on trying to form a conference that makes some sense and has some common ties that binds at least some of the schools.  Right now it just feels like a group of those 4 different types of schools kind of just coexisting because nobody has something better for them at this point.  I'd like to see it evolve into something better but I don't think that happens until Penn and Elkhart decide to do something else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

As has been discussed before, Penn and Elkhart should join the DAC. 

Not sure if they would like those 70 - 90 minute, one way road trips few times a season, time and expense. But I do think they would be a great fit in that conference

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Not sure if they would like those 70 - 90 minute, one way road trips few times a season, time and expense. But I do think they would be a great fit in that conference

I agree. However, keep in mind Penn has played DAC schools in basketball on school nights for years, and Elkhart plays Valpo and Chesterton this year. The travel would be tougher in football, but you could do an East/West concept to minimize it a little bit more (going from Valpo/Michigan City to Penn/Elkhart isn’t too bad). I just feel like Penn and Elkhart are woefully out of place in the NIC, and the DAC is the closest, and in my opinion best, alternative. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Are there any conferences around the state that span as long as lake central to penn/Elkhart?

Yes, the North Central Conference. It stretches from Lafayette/West Lafayette to Richmond, which is roughly 140 miles.  Elkhart to Lake Central or Crown Point is about 95-100 miles.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

3. Any ideas for realignment? 

I have an idea. How bout a Super Conference in the north:

Snider, Homestead, Carroll, Dwenger, Penn, Elkhart, Valpo, Warsaw, and Merrillville. One non-conference game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BTF said:

Snider, Homestead, Carroll, Dwenger, Penn, Elkhart, Valpo, Warsaw, and Merrillville. One non-conference game. 

That is not bad idea, that Snider/Carroll & Dwenger trip to Merrillville and vice versa trip would be a Loooooong 2.5 hours, even Valpo travel would be a bear. Maybe play those games on Saturday??

9 hours ago, BTF said:

Would the Fort Wayne schools be for breaking up the Summit?  The current 10 team league looks too big to me but I know there is much history there.  

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

That is not bad idea, that Snider/Carroll & Dwenger trip to Merrillville and vice versa trip would be a Loooooong 2.5 hours, even Valpo travel would be a bear. Maybe play those games on Saturday??

Besides that...Valpo and Merrillville are on Central Time...gonna have to start those games early.  Will the central time teams be able to leave early from school to play.

13 hours ago, psaboy said:

The best way to eliminate the longest potential road trips in the expanded DAC would be for Penn, Elkhart, Lake Central and Crown Point to play their games on saturdays at Ames Field in Michigan City.  A Saturday afternoon DAC Double Header at Ames would be a good drwa for the local community.

You know, everyone talks about the expense involved in traveling distances for away games. But has anyone attempted to quantify that additional expense? I have a good friend who has worked for many years for a company that provides transportation services to the Chicago Public Schools. I asked him what the marginal increased cost would be to take a school bus full of players on a 150 mi. rd. trip vs. a 40 mi. rd. trip. The answer is it costs about $125 more for the longer trip, almost all of which is accounted for by the increased cost of the driver. So, when you’re talking about expense being a barrier to some realignments or scheduling issues, now you have a number to put on it.

Question: If, for example, Penn were to move to the Duneland, how many DAC fans would they have to draw to a game at Penn to make up the increased travel costs, compared to the kind of gate they get from the visitors when they play one of the South Bend schools?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wedgebuster said:

Is it travelling distance or is it schools trying to justify kids getting home so late at night for a JV tennis match on a Tuesday?   

Football conference only

1 minute ago, Wedgebuster said:

Is it travelling distance or is it schools trying to justify kids getting home so late at night for a JV tennis match on a Tuesday?   

I haven’t really been involved in the discussion, but I’m sure there’s some of that, too.

Shared this in a different thread. It's Penn's away schedule for 2019-2020 in all sports, and they seem to be comfortable busing athletes to competition. 

Boys Basketball: LaPorte, Crown Point, Clay, Michigan City, Adams, Valpo, New Prairie, Northridge, St. Joe, Bremen, Marian. Some games were Saturdays and others were the school night variety.

Girls basketball away: Oregon-Davis, Bremen, Lake Central, Warsaw, Lafayette Jeff, Marian, Clay, Merrillville, New Castle, Carmel, Adams, Ft. Wayne South, St. Joe.

Baseball away: Noblesville, Lakeshore (MI), Bremen, Marian, Lake Central, Clay, New Prairie, Adams, Plymouth, St Joe (MI), Warsaw.

Softball away: North Miami, Carroll, Portage, Munster, Riley, Bremen, Center Grove at Northwestern?, Elkhart Central, Carmel, Concord, Crown Point, Washington, John Glenn, Jimtown.

Boys soccer: Northridge, Munster, Adams, Riley, Zionsville, Elkhart Central.

Girls soccer: Homestead, Carroll, Indian Invite at Newton Park (Lakeville), Zionsville, St. Joe, Newton Park, Warsaw, Ft. Wayne Canterbury, Marian, Noblesville, Guerin Catholic.

Volleyball is the only team sport that doesn't seem to do much travel.

The "individual" sports are slightly more affected by a switch, but here's boys tennis away: Warsaw, Mishawaka, Elkhart Central, Culver, St. Joe, Concord, Carroll, Homestead.

Girls tennis away: Mishawaka, East Noble, Homestead, Elkhart Central, Valpo, St. Joe, Avon, Culver.

Boys/Girls swim away: Northridge, Munster, Washington, Lake Central, Bremen, Concord, Mishawaka.

Wrestling and track are most affected. Not really sure about Golf, but I think they can probably handle it.

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

More Snider fans would make the trip to Merrillville than they would to South Side. Same could be said for Dwenger. Both teams travel pretty well. At least they did before games were streamed on the internet. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

This....the issue isn't travel distances on Friday nights on the fall.  It all of the weeknight events in all your other sports.  We are myopic when it comes to football, but the effect on other sports and the weeknight contests is the big factor.

• Like 1