Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Urban Meyer wants $12M, Jacksonville Jags could be top target

Guest DT

Meyer is sitting in the catbird seat and holding all the cards.

Texas is off the table.

Clay Helton at USC just signed the #1 recruit in the nation in Korey Foreman.  Doubt Helton is going anywhere.

Lots of NFL jobs open.

Urban likes Florida, and he has the #1 pick in the draft, likely  Trevor Lawrence.

Could Ryan Day go to Jacksonville and Meyer return to Ohio State?????

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Thought he had "health issues" and wanted to "spend more time with his family?"

Ah, coach speak...

Yeah. I don't know how anyone could trust this guy long term. It's well written that one of the main reasons Spurrier failed in the NFL, other than Dan Snyder, was that he tried treating it like a 9-5 job. The absence of not having to recruit is probably a plus, but NFL head coaches practically live at their Facility. 

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Meyer is sitting in the catbird seat and holding all the cards.

Texas is off the table.

Clay Helton at USC just signed the #1 recruit in the nation in Korey Foreman.  Doubt Helton is going anywhere.

Lots of NFL jobs open.

Urban likes Florida, and he has the #1 pick in the draft, likely  Trevor Lawrence.

Could Ryan Day go to Jacksonville and Meyer return to Ohio State?????

Without looking into anything, is it fact that he wants $12 million?

If he can scam it out of someone, more power to him, but I wouldn't touch that guy.  Scummy.

I do not have anything against Helton, but I do not think he will be the long term guy at SC.  

I would guess Urban wants the GM too.

14 minutes ago, DE said:

Without looking into anything, is it fact that he wants $12 million?

If he can scam it out of someone, more power to him, but I wouldn't touch that guy.  Scummy.

I do not have anything against Helton, but I do not think he will be the long term guy at SC.  

I would guess Urban wants the GM too.

I just dont get this line of thinking.  Meyer is one of the most successful coaches in the history of college football.  The U of Florida gave him free reign to build that program, so he recruited stud city thugs and won two national championships.  How come Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson are not dogged by the same rep that hangs around Meyer's neck?  Didnt they do exactly the same thing at Miami?

College football is big business and the bottom line is winning.  Meyer has done it everywhere he has been.  Was he a thug coach at Ohio State?  If he was, he wouldnt be featured constantly all over the BT Network and on national TV broadcasts.

Its ridiculous.

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, DT said:

I just dont get this line of thinking.  Meyer is one of the most successful coaches in the history of college football.  The U of Florida gave him free reign to build that program, so he recruited stud city thugs and won two national championships.  How come Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson are not dogged by the same rep that hangs around Meyer's neck?  Didnt they do exactly the same thing at Miami?

College football is big business and the bottom line is winning.  Meyer has done it everywhere he has been.  Was he a thug coach at Ohio State?  If he was, he wouldnt be featured constantly all over the BT Network and on national TV broadcasts.

Its ridiculous.

I know.  Or else why would you literally lay out all the reasons...

Yes HS and JJ did it too.  Pre internet/social media days.  They are the same.

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Its ridiculous.

As I said, "I wouldn't touch that guy.  Scummy."  I have ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH, say in his hiring.  I just gave my opinion.  You backed up my opinion why I would not hire him.  All I can do is not watch his teams play or watch him on TV broadcasts, which I do not.

I talked with one of his former assistants at one of his first HC gigs.  He had the opportunity to move on with Meyer.  He chose not to for multiple reasons, but one of them was b/c of the way he recruited and who he recruited.  That is all I will say.  This assistant coach has done very well for himself.  Is a great man and is at a GREAT midwestern University who is doing VERY well.

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Its ridiculous.

Not sure "thug coach" is the appropriate term for Meyer at OSU, but he thrived under two administrations (Florida and OSU) that gave him free reign and power with little/no consequences.  Hell, Gene Smith (AD) and Gordon Gee (university president) bowed down to the man and Smith was even quoted as saying "I hope Urban doesn't fire me" when asked about Meyer's future during the Zach Smith debacle.

Anyone who thinks Meyer left Florida or OSU due to his stated reasoning of "health problems" and "wanting to spend more time with his family" is delusional.  The guy is a liar whose practices are well documented but he escapes all criticism for one reason:  HE WINS.  THAT is why he is featured on BTN/Fox.  People value the opinion of a coach with championship experience/a pedigree and character does not count.

Simply put:  He left OSU "mutually" to maintain some sort of integrity but the university simply did not back him on the Smith incident.  They gave him the bare minimum punishment (whether you think he was guilty of anything or not) to make the public think they were taking a stand.

The guy is a low character individual.  There are many documented cases and stories of it everywhere he has been.

Like Saban, when he has superior talent and the playing field is not level, he thrives.  In the NFL, everyone plays by the same rules.  I don't think his "schtick" would work with grown men.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Not sure "thug coach" is the appropriate term for Meyer at OSU, but he thrived under two administrations (Florida and OSU) that gave him free reign and power with little/no consequences.  Hell, Gene Smith (AD) and Gordon Gee (university president) bowed down to the man and Smith was even quoted as saying "I hope Urban doesn't fire me" when asked about Meyer's future during the Zach Smith debacle.

Anyone who thinks Meyer left Florida or OSU due to his stated reasoning of "health problems" and "wanting to spend more time with his family" is delusional.  The guy is a liar whose practices are well documented but he escapes all criticism for one reason:  HE WINS.  THAT is why he is featured on BTN/Fox.  People value the opinion of a coach with championship experience/a pedigree and character does not count.

Simply put:  He left OSU "mutually" to maintain some sort of integrity but the university simply did not back him on the Smith incident.  They gave him the bare minimum punishment (whether you think he was guilty of anything or not) to make the public think they were taking a stand.

The guy is a low character individual.  There are many documented cases and stories of it everywhere he has been.

Like Saban, when he has superior talent and the playing field is not level, he thrives.  In the NFL, everyone plays by the same rules.  I don't think his "schtick" would work with grown men.

You are fixated on the Meyer of ten years ago

He is a different guy now.

We all grow and change over time.

The NFL skus ever more younger every year.  Meyer can certainly relate.  

22 minutes ago, DT said:

You are fixated on the Meyer of ten years ago

He is a different guy now.

We all grow and change over time.

The NFL skus ever more younger every year.  Meyer can certainly relate.  

Too early to be drinking DT.  I'm with you on a lot of things.  Not this one.

The Smith incident was 2.5 years ago.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Too early to be drinking DT.  I'm with you on a lot of things.  Not this one.

The Smith incident was 2.5 years ago.

That was overblown.  Smith is an idiot and Meyer's only mistake was trying to help a family member with gainful employment.

Has nothing to do with his coaching ability.  Says a lot about his loyalty however.  The late Earle Bruce would attest to that as well.;

Regardless, whoever gets Meyer has landed the hottest coaching prospect at any level in the country.  That is indisputable my friend.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

That was overblown.  Smith is an idiot and Meyer's only mistake was trying to help a family member with gainful employment.

Has nothing to do with his coaching ability.  Says a lot about his loyalty however.  The late Earle Bruce would attest to that as well.;

Regardless, whoever gets Meyer has landed the hottest coaching prospect at any level in the country.  That is indisputable my friend.

There was more to the story than that and you know it.  Deleted text messages, etc...

THAT is the reason he lost his gig at OSU, had nothing to do with his mentioned reasons.

I cannot disagree with you when it comes to his coaching/motivating ability and as the hottest commodity.  Just understand what you are getting.

He will be an NFL bust if he goes that route.  Mark the tape.

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

No nfl coach is worth that much good for him if he can get it

Nfl is all about talent acquisition and cap management

notice how the best team have the best talent and qbs?

Earth shattering analysis.

Not sure how Meyer translates in the NFL. Always viewed him as a great recruiter and master program builder that surrounded himself with the best coordinators and simply had a monopoly on his competition, none of which matters in the NFL. Not sure he’s the greatest X’s and O’s coach don’t think his scheme is conducive to the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure how Meyer translates in the NFL. Always viewed him as a great recruiter and master program builder that surrounded himself with the best coordinators and simply had a monopoly on his competition, none of which matters in the NFL. Not sure he’s the greatest X’s and O’s coach don’t think his scheme is conducive to the NFL. 

I’m pretty sure some smart people are going to look very closely at those, and other issues, before they throw $12 million/yr. at anybody.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m pretty sure some smart people are going to look very closely at those, and other issues, before they throw $12 million/yr. at anybody.

Well we’re talking about the Jaguars so who knows 😆 But I do think Urban has “earned” his chance at shot in the NFL. Not convinced his cut out for it. But if something thinks, and is willing to pay $12/mil a year for Urban, more power to them.

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Well we’re talking about the Jaguars so who knows 😆 But I do think Urban has “earned” his chance at shot in the NFL. Not convinced his cut out for it. But if something thinks, and is willing to pay $12/mil a year for Urban, more power to them.

It would be the perfect setup. Low expectations = low pressure. #1 pick in the draft. Tons of cap space.

43 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It would be the perfect setup. Low expectations = low pressure. #1 pick in the draft. Tons of cap space.

11 draft picks too.  

If he gets it, I would imagine he gets to shop for the groceries too.