Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

UNC's Mack Brown Calls for Playoff Expansion Due to Opt Out Epidemic

Guest DT

I was ok with it, but when it went to four teams, it became clear that there were typically 3 good teams and one that was outmatched. The last couple years, there have just been two teams that are good enough. Adding 4 more teams just means more blowouts....at least for the next several years. 

The REAL issue is on the NFL side of things. The combine is WAY too soon. It is not necessary. Put the draft in May, with the combine in April. The fact is that the NFL has been invading occupied spaces, creating a chain reaction. College football had sole possession of Thursday nights for several years. It was great to be able to see other conferences, including the MAC get prime time exposure. The NFL stepped in on that action....and for the most part, Thursday night NFL games have been a bust. Then college football felt a need in recent years to play on Friday nights....what a HORRIBLE idea. In my mind, Friday nights are sacred....time for high school football only. Roger Gooddell’s need to have the NFL grabbing headlines every month of the year has hurt the game. As a coach, I often say, less is more. He has over exposed the pro game, and it has had a negative impact.