Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Playoffs 2021

Irishman

Watching the Ravens Bills game; the Bills have been solid, but the Chiefs have to be smiling. The Ravens have just been dominated all game. Even Jackson was not a threat in the run game. Yes he had a couple big plays, but no damage. Is the game different if the missed FG's are made? 

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Watching the Ravens Bills game; the Bills have been solid, but the Chiefs have to be smiling. The Ravens have just been dominated all game. Even Jackson was not a threat in the run game. Yes he had a couple big plays, but no damage. Is the game different if the missed FG's are made? 

I know Lamar is the defending MVP and all, but I’ve never been sold on him for just this reason. He’s a fantastic athlete. But his athleticism cannot trump physics. The defensive players are too big and too fast. Eventually, he’s going to get hit and knocked out of the game. And here the Ravens sit, in the 2nd half of a close playoff game, and their star is on the bench with concussion protocol. It was inevitable. And as entertaining as he is, you can’t place your franchise in the hands of a guy who is going to get hurt, almost certainly. In the NFL, where everyone is good, the most important ability is “availability.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I know Lamar is the defending MVP and all, but I’ve never been sold on him for just this reason. He’s a fantastic athlete. But his athleticism cannot trump physics. The defensive players are too big and too fast. Eventually, he’s going to get hit and knocked out of the game. And here the Ravens sit, in the 2nd half of a close playoff game, and their star is on the bench with concussion protocol. It was inevitable. And as entertaining as he is, you can’t place your franchise in the hands of a guy who is going to get hurt, almost certainly. In the NFL, where everyone is good, the most important ability is “availability.”

NFL defenses adapt very quickly. His success last year was based on an easy schedule, and the novelty of what he brings to the table. Collinsworth made the comment that he really is a pocket passer, and is good at it. The coaches need to limit the planned run plays, but when it comes to scrambling, I am not sure you can change a mindset that has been a big part of his game for so many years. If they can teach him to scramble so he can throw rather than just take off and run so much, he may settle in as a solid QB. Time will tell. 

Said it forever and still stand by it. 
Reaching the ball towards the goal line while not a last ditch effort to win, is not a smart choice. The risk far outweighs the reward and Higgins just proved that. 

Edited by DE
  • Like 1

Yeah, trying to reach was not needed. You have to think of game situations. You need to milk the clock on that drive. If the Browns score there, they are in the game. They get the ball to start the half. You are still just two scores down, but the defense has not stopped the Chiefs yet. They are getting to Mahomes though, getting some good shots on him. 

I would add that leading with the helmet/targeting SHOULD be reviewable. If a play is under review, EVERYTHING should be factored in. Interesting halftime conversation........

Should the offense lose the ball if they fumble out of the end zone? Cowher's comment was offense should keep the ball but get it back at the 20. So on that play, it would have been the Browns ball on the KC 20. It is something I had never even considered. 

25 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Yeah, trying to reach was not needed. You have to think of game situations. You need to milk the clock on that drive. If the Browns score there, they are in the game. They get the ball to start the half. You are still just two scores down, but the defense has not stopped the Chiefs yet. They are getting to Mahomes though, getting some good shots on him. 

The ONLY way to beat KC is:

1.  Limit their offense to fewer than 10 possessions by controlling the clock with your running game.

2.  Score TDs every time you get in the red zone.

3.  Force at least 1 turnover and score off of it.

4.  Don’t turn the ball over.

5.  Have a little bit of luck.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

And I forgot to add. The covering official did great except felt maybe one his sideline partner could’ve helped him w the missed penalty. 

This crew not having a consistent game. Is it an “all star” crew?

They just called a crack back block on 83 for KC. Kelce literally did the same play earlier  in the game. No call. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I would add that leading with the helmet/targeting SHOULD be reviewable. If a play is under review, EVERYTHING should be factored in. Interesting halftime conversation........

Should the offense lose the ball if they fumble out of the end zone? Cowher's comment was offense should keep the ball but get it back at the 20. So on that play, it would have been the Browns ball on the KC 20. It is something I had never even considered. 

Agreed 100% on reviewable. 

16 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I have been impressed with several throws and catches by Mayfield and his receivers. Mahomes out with a concussion may not matter in this one, even though it is a one score game as I type; but how will it impact them next week? 

Man. Hit didn’t look like anything. The hit on Jackson last night looked like yeah. Concussion. That one I was like......huh?

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The Browns had chances.....ballsy call on 4th down for the Chiefs. Genius if you make it, get raked over the coals if you don't. I like the mindset of having your players make plays....put it in their hands. 

yep

The feeling is that the Bucs have really controlled the game. Brees looks good at times and not so good on several throws, but Tampa is doing a good job of being in his face when he throws. The Bucs o line is taking this over. The Tampa run game is really what I was expecting to see from Kamara and the Saints. 

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The feeling is that the Bucs have really controlled the game. Brees looks good at times and not so good on several throws, but Tampa is doing a good job of being in his face when he throws. The Bucs o line is taking this over. The Tampa run game is really what I was expecting to see from Kamara and the Saints. 

Love it!

Lord, I don’t like to involve you in something as superficially trivial as a football game. But next weekend represents a clash between the forces of good, led by your avenging angel, TB12, against the Evil that is the dog-a$$ Packers. I beseech you to arm your angel well, as he goes forth to do battle against the forces of darkness led by their evil sorcerer, ARog, and ventures into the den of iniquity that is Lambeau. Oh Lord, may TB12 use your mighty right arm to strike down the godless green and gold with their wicked wizard ARog, and send them away with their cheese curds dampened by bitter tears, while your glorious light shines through TB12 for about 350-4-0, and the Packers can go back to bullying your lesser creatures, like Bears, Vikings and Lions. Amen!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Lord, I don’t like to involve you in something as superficially trivial as a football game. But next weekend represents a clash between the forces of good, led by your avenging angel, TB12, against the Evil that is the dog-a$$ Packers. I beseech you to arm your angel well, as he goes forth to do battle against the forces of darkness led by their evil sorcerer, ARog, and ventures into the den of iniquity that is Lambeau. Oh Lord, may TB12 use your mighty right arm to strike down the godless green and gold with their wicked wizard ARog, and send them away with their cheese curds dampened by bitter tears, while your glorious light shines through TB12 for about 350-4-0, and the Packers can go back to bullying your lesser creatures, like Bears, Vikings and Lions. Amen!

God in his Judge Chamberlain Haller voice: “that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection........overruled.” 
😂

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Is there someway that neither The Bucs or the Packers win and by some longstanding but never used NFL bylaw the Saints get to go to the Super Bowl?  

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Is there someway that neither The Bucs or the Packers win and by some longstanding but never used NFL bylaw the Saints get to go to the Super Bowl?  

Why?  Is it because you simply do not "like" Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady?

They weren't the ones throwing 3 interceptions yesterday.  That was Drew Brees.