Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Calling all High School Historians

I was looking at a website that talks about the evolution of college team colors.  For example, Syracuse University colors were pink and green, until they decided on orange.

Are there any high schools in Indiana that had the same evolution.  I'm not talking about schools consolidating.  Did any high school starts with one set of school colors then change sometime in their history.

Inquiring minds want to know

3 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I was looking at a website that talks about the evolution of college team colors.  For example, Syracuse University colors were pink and green, until they decided on orange.

Are there any high schools in Indiana that had the same evolution.  I'm not talking about schools consolidating.  Did any high school starts with one set of school colors then change sometime in their history.

Inquiring minds want to know

I know the PAC and BIG's colors had a VERY distinct yellow line that ran right down the middle of the back of the jerseys.

8 hours ago, Coach Dowell said:

Columbus East-  The powers that be back in the beginning liked the Cleveland Browns and USC Trojans.  Hence the brown and orange uniforms.  The school song is the USC tune .  The school began in an Olympic year so they are called the Olympians.

And those brown pants were hideous 😄Not as bad as those faded gold things Martinsville always wore, but they were bad. 

11 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

And those brown pants were hideous 😄Not as bad as those faded gold things Martinsville always wore, but they were bad. 

Martinsville has always been red and blue, but wore Gold pants. Red helmets, red jerseys, gold pants. 

When SB St Joe opened in 1953 their colors were cadet blue and white.  The football team until 1971 wore gold [ant, nay jersey, and got helmet

Coach Teegarden in 1971 change them to columbia blue, white, and - the 1st road game with red numbers shocked many

AT one time they had Columbia Blue pants 

When the new school building opened - black became the accent color  They have Carolina Blue helmets, back ones, and now white

They also have black pants and jerseys

I wish they would be more like North Carolina and show their true school colors

I believe Evansville Reitz Memorial started out as simply "Catholic" high school and wore green/gold.  They were known as the Fighting Irish - the colors and nickname both shared with Notre Dame as homage to the Brothers of the Holy Cross who founded the school.  Name and color change happened in the early 1930's, I think. 

Not an official historian but at Mishawaka the colors used to be maroon, yellow, and white. My sophomore year (1993 season) they went away from the yellow and used just maroon and white. Not sure how long they had yellow but when I was younger and attended games I remember yellow being a part of the uniforms. 

I don't mind if a high school decides to change it's colors,  but what does bug me is this move to more 'accent' type colors in athletic uniforms.  For example you have a school whose colors are Blue and White, full stop.  Why do you have some uniforms with a significant amount of black or gray  in them?   Because it looks cool?   Black, grey, and red seems to be the big offenders here.

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I don't mind if a high school decides to change it's colors,  but what does bug me is this move to more 'accent' type colors in athletic uniforms.  For example you have a school whose colors are Blue and White, full stop.  Why do you have some uniforms with a significant amount of black or gray  in them?   Because it looks cool?   Black, grey, and red seems to be the big offenders here.

Can you show us an example of a uniform with "accent" colors?

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I agree with you on this. I would like to blame Under Armour as they are one of the biggest abusers of the alternate jersey colors.

But the blame probably falls to Nike and Oregon for the multiple jersey/pant combos. I think they were the originators.

Edited by oldtimeqb

28 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I agree with you on this. I would like to blame Under Armour as they are one of the biggest abusers of the alternate jersey colors.

But the blame probably falls to Nike and Oregon for the multiple jersey/pant combos. I think they were the originators.

A lot of jerseys the Ducks wear look like they were washed in anti-freeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, region said:

Crown Point, strictly red and white today, used to use a more maroon and powder blue color combo in the 80s. 

image.jpeg.ad248d1c8736ff5bdcdf4c254f61b337.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ffcdc10f03ba8a2470b1d12f5cc58377.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I coached at CP (07-11), I always loved our simple, clean uniforms. As seen above. Red tops. White pants. Or white on white. 

Coach Pettit had a fun little thing. For trophy games, we would bring out the red pants. The kids really liked it and rallied behind it. They knew it was a big deal to be wearing those.