Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Calling all High School Historians

8 minutes ago, DE said:

When I coached at CP (07-11), I always loved our simple, clean uniforms. As seen above. Red tops. White pants. Or white on white. 

Coach Pettit had a fun little thing. For trophy games, we would bring out the red pants. The kids really liked it and rallied behind it. They knew it was a big deal to be wearing those. 

Classics are the best.  Leather helmets might be going a bit too far, but I live the simple primary color on white.  One new design I like however, is the chrome helmet.

• Like 1

There are some alternate unis that are done well. I don’t mind them. East Noble has a gray jersey as well. As much of a rival as they are the black and gray are cool looks. I figure if the kids are working and raising money for the program and want that, then good for them. Our kids wanted black pants. They look a bit funky with the purple jersey. I think they would be cooler on the road, but I am just an assistant. Being a bit biased, the cool uniform combo goes to my alma mater, Warren Central. They have three sets, no alternate colors, although they have had gray jerseys in past years. They have worn pink in October as well. That was different, but applaud the statement. 

Always keep in mind when I speak of uniforms.

To ME, the absolute best, BY FAR, are Penn St. and Alabama.

The most "new age" I would go (as if I have a say---lol) is the traditional helmet in the matte (spelling) paint.

I also do not know which I dislike more....all the new age uniforms or just color on color (besides white on white),

12 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I agree with you on this. I would like to blame Under Armour as they are one of the biggest abusers of the alternate jersey colors.

But the blame probably falls to Nike and Oregon for the multiple jersey/pant combos. I think they were the originators.

YAWN... Sorry but not a fan of the boring or boring people.

• Disdain 1

56 minutes ago, Irishman said:

There are some alternate unis that are done well. I don’t mind them. East Noble has a gray jersey as well. As much of a rival as they are the black and gray are cool looks. I figure if the kids are working and raising money for the program and want that, then good for them. Our kids wanted black pants. They look a bit funky with the purple jersey. I think they would be cooler on the road, but I am just an assistant. Being a bit biased, the cool uniform combo goes to my alma mater, Warren Central. They have three sets, no alternate colors, although they have had gray jerseys in past years. They have worn pink in October as well. That was different, but applaud the statement. 

I don't know if Harrison High School does it or not, but their youth travel baseball recently rolled out a black jersey/hat alternative with the Harrison orange writing on it that looks downright sharp.  The primary jersey colors are still orange, blue, and along with white, and the traditional blue with the orange writing is still my favorite.  Every once in a while they bring out the black ones and they do draw positive attention, especially when paired with the white pants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I don't know if Harrison High School does it or not, but their youth travel baseball recently rolled out a black jersey/hat alternative with the Harrison orange writing on it that looks downright sharp.  The primary jersey colors are still orange, blue, and along with white, and the traditional blue with the orange writing is still my favorite.  Every once in a while they bring out the black ones and they do draw positive attention, especially when paired with the white pants.

If Lafayette Jeff ever starts doing what the Denver Broncos did, it will be no bueno.

3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

If Lafayette Jeff ever starts doing what the Denver Broncos did, it will be no bueno.

Spelling the name correctly? 😀

• Haha 6

On 1/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Muda69 said:

I don't mind if a high school decides to change it's colors,  but what does bug me is this move to more 'accent' type colors in athletic uniforms.  For example you have a school whose colors are Blue and White, full stop.  Why do you have some uniforms with a significant amount of black or gray  in them?   Because it looks cool?   Black, grey, and red seems to be the big offenders here.

I blame Under Armour. As they have woo’d schools away from Adidas, Adidas has really cut their stock program, particularly when it comes to purple. When I was coaching, our school colors are Northwestern Purple and White. Northwestern U makes the move to UA, and our main vendor is an Adidas distributor. Adidas cut purple drastically from their stock program. Last set of uni’s we bought, we had to go with black and use purple accents. I understand there are other distributors out there, but me being a loyal guy, I wanted to stick with my guy who’d taken care of me thru the years. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I blame Under Armour. As they have woo’d schools away from Adidas, Adidas has really cut their stock program, particularly when it comes to purple. When I was coaching, our school colors are Northwestern Purple and White. Northwestern U makes the move to UA, and our main vendor is an Adidas distributor. Adidas cut purple drastically from their stock program. Last set of uni’s we bought, we had to go with black and use purple accents. I understand there are other distributors out there, but me being a loyal guy, I wanted to stick with my guy who’d taken care of me thru the years. 

We have the same issue with our purple from adidas. I have never been an adidas fan. We actually got purple home jerseys and purple game pants....the samples looked great, but ended up being two different shades of purple.....and it was noticeable......to the point we never wore them together. But I have to think that Nike is the real culprit with what they started at Oregon. IIRC, Oregon was the first to go with the alternative look. The owner is an Oregon grad. I think UA started with Maryland, correct? Since the founders are UM grads. I do know Warren Central was the first high school to go with UA. A classmate/teammate from there was one of the early executives with them. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

We have the same issue with our purple from adidas. I have never been an adidas fan. We actually got purple home jerseys and purple game pants....the samples looked great, but ended up being two different shades of purple.....and it was noticeable......to the point we never wore them together. But I have to think that Nike is the real culprit with what they started at Oregon. IIRC, Oregon was the first to go with the alternative look. The owner is an Oregon grad. I think UA started with Maryland, correct? Since the founders are UM grads. I do know Warren Central was the first high school to go with UA. A classmate/teammate from there was one of the early executives with them. 

For many years Badger was Adidas largest supplier. Adidas made the move to the Southeast Asia. That was about the time you started seeing a lot of Badger branded apparel. My guess on your color is Adidas fights the same battles Nike has, constantly switching vendors leads to color/material inconsistencies. Nike makes some decent apparel, but I never bought two pieces of apparel that fit the same. We never used Nike apparel when I was coaching, but when my kid was at MU, they were a LIDS school, so the fan gear was all Nike and of course all of the team’s apparel. Being out of coaching and out of parenting, not my problem anymore. My only bitch now is the IHSAA forcing officials to use their suppliers  for shirts that are 20 bucks higher than what we were paying for the same shirts before the move. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, oldtimeqb said:

I believe Evansville Reitz Memorial started out as simply "Catholic" high school and wore green/gold.  They were known as the Fighting Irish - the colors and nickname both shared with Notre Dame as homage to the Brothers of the Holy Cross who founded the school.  Name and color change happened in the early 1930's, I think. 

You are right, back in the 1920s people called us “Boys Catholic” and used ND’s fight song. We used the instrumental still whenever they made the change after it became COED

• 1 month later...