Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What in tarnation?

Can someone with a higher IQ than me please explain why Penn must travel to Lafayette to play their semi-state game while Lafayette Central Catholic in turn has to travel to Elkhart for their game? It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't give a rats butt about some neutral court BS either. Has anyone told the IHSAA that attendance is down? In a sense, you have made these games an extremely difficult road trip for all involved instead of making it a road tip for one team. While I am not the biggest basketball fan in the world, I would have attended the game here in town and would have also bought concessions for my little family. I won't travel 2 + hours. Ridiculous. Will someone please explain to me the reasoning for this?

9 hours ago, PennBall_Wizard said:

Can someone with a higher IQ than me please explain why Penn must travel to Lafayette to play their semi-state game while Lafayette Central Catholic in turn has to travel to Elkhart for their game? It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't give a rats butt about some neutral court BS either. Has anyone told the IHSAA that attendance is down? In a sense, you have made these games an extremely difficult road trip for all involved instead of making it a road tip for one team. While I am not the biggest basketball fan in the world, I would have attended the game here in town and would have also bought concessions for my little family. I won't travel 2 + hours. Ridiculous. Will someone please explain to me the reasoning for this?

Where were the Penn students this weekend?

We sat with the Penn fans during the first game, and while they were vocal and supportive of the Kingsmen, I couldn't believe how empty the student section was. 

Chesterton, Munster, and Northridge all packed their student sections (Chesterton's was really impressive), but the biggest school in the Regionals had more cheerleaders than students at the first game, and the 2nd game wasn't a whole lot better of a showing.

Good luck against Carmel, but I hope admin figures out how to get more students to the games in the future, the team deserves better support.

1 minute ago, PennBall_Wizard said:

?????

Without class basketball Lafayette Jefferson and Lafayette Central Catholic would have faced each other in the sectional round.  There would only be two semi-state locations instead of eight.  Travel time and distances could be drastically reduced.

I went to New Castle 2 weekends ago to watch sectional and went to Marion last weekend to watch regional. Both Gyms are in the top 10 in the world with how many people they can sit, Both Gyms were sold out with standing room only. Heard from one of the parents one school sold 4,000 tickets. Attendance isn't as down as what people think. If all Gyms are not full this weekend for semistate i would be shocked.  

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Without class basketball Lafayette Jefferson and Lafayette Central Catholic would have faced each other in the sectional round.  There would only be two semi-state locations instead of eight.  Travel time and distances could be drastically reduced.

Good Lord, no wonder I was confused. That change happened way back in 1998. I think the IHSAA had plenty of time to plan ahead and put teams closer to their geographic region. This game/gym pairing is ridiculous. I still don't have a good explanation.

They look at the distance all 8 north semi-state teams have to travel regardless of how close one school might be to a tournament site.  Carmel would have had to travel 141 miles to Elkhart which would have been much farther than any other northern team.  Even though it seems strange to send teams that could walk to the semi-state to another site it makes sense if you look at the numbers.

In the south, Barr-Reeve experienced this last year when they got sent to Seymour instead of Washington which is only 7 miles away but when you looked at all teams involved it made sense. BR was fortunate enough to make it back this year and it worked out for them to go to Washington but it was a different group of teams involved.

I think most teams that aren't playing would trade you places and willing to travel any distance for the chance to play in the semi-state with a shot at a State Finals berth. And speaking of the state, if Penn wins I guess you won't be making that trip to Bankers Life because that is even farther than Jeff.

4 hours ago, SmallTown said:

They look at the distance all 8 north semi-state teams have to travel regardless of how close one school might be to a tournament site.  Carmel would have had to travel 141 miles to Elkhart which would have been much farther than any other northern team.  Even though it seems strange to send teams that could walk to the semi-state to another site it makes sense if you look at the numbers.

In the south, Barr-Reeve experienced this last year when they got sent to Seymour instead of Washington which is only 7 miles away but when you looked at all teams involved it made sense. BR was fortunate enough to make it back this year and it worked out for them to go to Washington but it was a different group of teams involved.

I think most teams that aren't playing would trade you places and willing to travel any distance for the chance to play in the semi-state with a shot at a State Finals berth. And speaking of the state, if Penn wins I guess you won't be making that trip to Bankers Life because that is even farther than Jeff.

Thanks for answering, but it still seems odd. I am sure most teams would exchange places, but that still doesn't make it right. Like I stated earlier, while I am not the biggest basketball fan in the world, I would have attended the game here in town and bought tickets and concessions for my  family. I won't travel 2 + hours. I have spoken to a few more fans that stated the same thing.

16 hours ago, PennBall_Wizard said:

Thanks for answering, but it still seems odd. I am sure most teams would exchange places, but that still doesn't make it right. Like I stated earlier, while I am not the biggest basketball fan in the world, I would have attended the game here in town and bought tickets and concessions for my  family. I won't travel 2 + hours. I have spoken to a few more fans that stated the same thing.

It is frustrating when you have a situation like Penn and LCC this year but where do they draw the line?  I've observed this over the years and this is one area the IHSAA does do completely fair because they don't make exceptions for any team regardless of location.  If you allow Penn to be the exception because they are only 8 miles away then what do you do for a team 15 miles away, or 25.  There either has to be a line or just don't do any.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:05 AM, Muda69 said:

there were 4 semi-states in one class basketball....but your point is not lost.

• Like 1

Why not have 8 different Semi-State locations? (1 game at each site)

1A-4A: South (x 2 sites);  North (x 2 sites)

Example: 2019 1A: Barr-Reeve/Bloomfield (@ Washington)...

2019 4A: instead of CG and BD also traveling to Washington, they play at, for example, Southport?

I realize it's nearly impossible to project who will be playing in the Semi-State, and you're never going to please everyone.  Just my .02.

Edited by ocwm2000

On 3/13/2019 at 12:11 PM, superjay said:

Is it possible that Barr Reeve/Bloomfield brings more people than Ben Davis/Center Grove?

ForBen Davis you will be right for CG not so sure but you also have to take this into consideration Cg just start spring break so their will some that  would have gone to the game but will now will be on vacation out of state.