Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Small College Sports are in Jeopardy

Guest DT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/01/13/democratic-rep-says-authorities-probing-her-report-that-her-office-panic-buttons-were-removed-before-capitol-riot/?sh=8c273bc5bce4

How are smaller college sports programs going to survive and be funded during the Covid era.

We may be looking at a new period in time where only the very best high school athletes get the opportunity to move on and play at the next level.  Student athletes who used to look forward to a college career at the NAIA level. or even up to the MAC/CUSA/MT WEST level of play may see their opportunities diminished.

I expect to see a tidal wave of colleges and universities disbanding their athletic programs, or at the very least dropping the most expensive sports, leading with football.  

NCAA D1 transfer policy is also likely to rob additional roster spots for new high school graduates looking to play at the next level.

Not a rosy picture unless you are a D1 athlete with multiple scholarship offers and opportunities

40 minutes ago, DT said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/01/13/democratic-rep-says-authorities-probing-her-report-that-her-office-panic-buttons-were-removed-before-capitol-riot/?sh=8c273bc5bce4

How are smaller college sports programs going to survive and be funded during the Covid era.

We may be looking at a new period in time where only the very best high school athletes get the opportunity to move on and play at the next level.  Student athletes who used to look forward to a college career at the NAIA level. or even up to the MAC/CUSA/MT WEST level of play may see their opportunities diminished.

I expect to see a tidal wave of colleges and universities disbanding their athletic programs, or at the very least dropping the most expensive sports, leading with football.  

NCAA D1 transfer policy is also likely to rob additional roster spots for new high school graduates looking to play at the next level.

Not a rosy picture unless you are a D1 athlete with multiple scholarship offers and opportunities

Why is the link about panic buttons being removed from a representative's office? lol

Only an anecdote here, but several years ago, the new President at Butler started talking about cutting out the football program. The overwhelming sentiment, after he did his research was the harm it would do to the school. The decision top keep it was more about the male population on campus. I am hopeful that schools will wait to get through these couple of years. The changes in scheduling due to the virus threw a lot of things off kilter. Allowing athletes another year of eligibility is doing more to hurt the current class of HS seniors more than anything. If there is an impact, I think it will be the small schools. I am thinking of a place like Manchester here in Northern Indiana. I am not sure what their financial situation is though. It just seems it is a program that struggles on the field regularly. Places like Trine, DePauw, Wabash, and Rose Hulman, to name a few, likely have healthy budgets due to active alumni associations. 

Small colleges in general are in jeopardy. With the advance in online education and mismanagement schools have had it’s not looking good. As valpo alum I’m concerned they might not be around much longer. The law school has already shut down due to dwindling enrollment and poor education. From what I remember they had a very larger percentage that couldn’t pass the bar exam.

19 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Small colleges in general are in jeopardy. With the advance in online education and mismanagement schools have had it’s not looking good. As valpo alum I’m concerned they might not be around much longer. The law school has already shut down due to dwindling enrollment and poor education. From what I remember they had a very larger percentage that couldn’t pass the bar exam.

The law school closed because, years ago, they decided to accept every applicant with a pulse in a grab for tuition $. The result was a lot of people who had no business in law school. They got put on probation by the accrediting agency, and that caused their admissions to plummet. If you’re not a graduate of an accredited law school, you can’t take the bar exam in most places. Once their enrollment plummeted, they couldn’t pay professors, and they circled the drain.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

The law school closed because, years ago, they decided to accept every applicant with a pulse in a grab for tuition $. The result was a lot of people who had no business in law school. They got put on probation by the accrediting agency, and that caused their admissions to plummet. If you’re not a graduate of an accredited law school, you can’t take the bar exam in most places. Once their enrollment plummeted, they couldn’t pay professors, and they circled the drain.

Are academic accrediting agencies like financial bond rating agencies?  Just pay them enough $ either above or below the table and voila!  you have an accredited school of X or an AAA rated bond.