Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8-man football?

Per this story from Kyle Neddenriep, not only is the IFCA changing the Mr. Football voting process, but it is also "studying" 8-man football. 

I'd *love* to see 8-man football (or even 6-man) to provide more opportunities for players at smaller schools which might not have the enrollment to field 11-man teams. Several states do so for smaller schools. 

• Like 2

8 man football is better than no football, IMO.

However, I think you would see many more 11 man teams dropping to 8, rather than starting teams. In fact that option might save a team like Wood Memorial. 

I think about the US 50 corridor in SW Indiana. Shoals, Loogootee, Barr Reeve, Washington Catholic, South Knox, and Vincennes Rivet. I just don’t see them adding 8 man. It would be more likely that A schools like Wood Memorial drop.

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

8 man football is better than no football, IMO.

However, I think you would see many more 11 man teams dropping to 8, rather than starting teams. In fact that option might save a team like Wood Memorial. 

I think about the US 50 corridor in SW Indiana. Shoals, Loogootee, Barr Reeve, Washington Catholic, South Knox, and Vincennes Rivet. I just don’t see them adding 8 man. It would be more likely that A schools like Wood Memorial drop.

I'm not sure how much 8-man football would *expand* the game, but it might provide an option for some smaller schools. What it might do is, with participation numbers sliding a bit - and enrollment numbers declining at a lot of smaller rural schools - save existing football programs. 

On 3/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, MarshallCounty said:

I am for co-op teams before 8 man.  Let Jac-Cen-Del and South Ripley kids play for Batesville or Milan.

I agree, especially for the fall sports it can be very difficult for small schools to field competitive teams for football, soccer, and cross country.  There would need to be some limits, but if you have some kids that want to do a certain sport that isn't offered let them try at another area school.  

How many referees for an 8 man football game?  2?  3?  If they are serious about this they need to find a small school conference/group to get it started.  Loogootee, Bloomfield, Orleans, Barr Reeve,  Shoals,  NE Dubois would be a good place to start.  Only need 16-20 kids for a team.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:20 AM, FarmerFran said:

Is there an option for schools that have no football or to low of numbers to participate at neighboring schools?

I thought I read at one time that a student-athlete who attended Michigan City Marquette was able to play football at LaLu.  Maybe the IHSAA has changed the rules since then?

2 hours ago, superjay said:

How many referees for an 8 man football game?  2?  3?  If they are serious about this they need to find a small school conference/group to get it started.  Loogootee, Bloomfield, Orleans, Barr Reeve,  Shoals,  NE Dubois would be a good place to start.  Only need 16-20 kids for a team.

That's up to each state to decide. 5 should still be the minimum because you'll have even more passing than 11-man. 6, 8, and 9 man games are often very high scoring. If you go to 4-man crews the position  you lose ii the back judge so you wouldn't have anyone at the goal line on many plays snapped outside the 10. Many states have 5 and 7 man crews now for HS football but we are far from that for two reasons: increased cost and shortage of licensed officials.

• Like 1