Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 20-21

Irishman

This season seems so similar to previous years. I think Jackson Davis has made a big improvement in his game. My only concern for him is that it seems a couple times EVERY game, he has to yell "Get me the F*****G BALL!!!!. When they get the ball into him, it sets up the outside game much better than just passing around the perimeter and having guys standing around. There are times they do elevate the compete level. I like the young guys on the bench; they play hard, especially on defense when they get in. Archie has sat the starters a few times to try to motivate them. They still struggle with consistency. 

Funny side note. I saw on ESPN they have 40-1 odds of winning the championship. You know who else has the same odds? UK.....when was the last time IU and KY had the same odds to win a title? lol  

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

This season seems so similar to previous years. I think Jackson Davis has made a big improvement in his game. My only concern for him is that it seems a couple times EVERY game, he has to yell "Get me the F*****G BALL!!!!. When they get the ball into him, it sets up the outside game much better than just passing around the perimeter and having guys standing around. There are times they do elevate the compete level. I like the young guys on the bench; they play hard, especially on defense when they get in. Archie has sat the starters a few times to try to motivate them. They still struggle with consistency. 

Funny side note. I saw on ESPN they have 40-1 odds of winning the championship. You know who else has the same odds? UK.....when was the last time IU and KY had the same odds to win a title? lol  

1973 maybe ?  A guess , but along time from 1987 to the 2000 team. KY has been kicking butt. 

• Like 1

Tonight's game against Purdue was just bad. Purdue is an average team, and they dominated IU. Purdue has won 11 of the last 12. Most of the guys on the floor for IU are just not B1G caliber. The toughest part of the schedule is coming too. No chance IU makes the tournament. Even if they have a strong stretch run here, does making the tournament even matter? How far has the program dropped where fans are just hopeful they make the tournament? I have not been overly critical of Archie over his time as coach, but something is seriously off with the program.

You may be right . I have a little bit of a different take on the situation. This program ,basketball,was in similar shape as the football program was before Wilson took over. Crean literally could not coach players, 5 years in, it was obvious when we ended up with two, 2! now, top five picks in the NBA draft. And didn’t get past the sweet sixteen. That’s when he had his walking papers but was given a 2nd chance. And AD Glass lost respect.So recruiting was his savior first 5 years, then his Achilles. He alienated all indiana HS coaches and lost all the all stars to various other schools.    The situation ,little Ryan Miller took over ,was in shambles to say the least. 
And A situation no reasonably established coach wanted any part of after, Sampson and Crean eras. 
So the time frame is at least 5 years for Arch, in my mind. To accumulate and form a team here. The defense is getting respect from other coaches around the league . Also the one and done thing makes it a little harder on a unproven coach. He continues to sign top Indiana kids, keeping them away from OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Louisville, Etc. which is crucial to the success of the program.  All schools know Indiana boys can ball. Indiana is not to far off on talent but I think next year will be a big bump in production for the program.  The confidence is just not there yet ,as you can see the way they finish games this year. Let’s give it another few years here. 

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Tonight's game against Purdue was just bad. Purdue is an average team, and they dominated IU. Purdue has won 11 of the last 12. Most of the guys on the floor for IU are just not B1G caliber. The toughest part of the schedule is coming too. No chance IU makes the tournament. Even if they have a strong stretch run here, does making the tournament even matter? How far has the program dropped where fans are just hopeful they make the tournament? I have not been overly critical of Archie over his time as coach, but something is seriously off with the program.

I disagree with that bolded part 

Very very young team in West Lafayette, zero Seniors, youthful mistakes cost them the road game at Miami in the ACC/B10 challenge, and the game against Rutgers as well, let that one slip away.   that is how close they  are from 11-3 vs 9-5.  

Scrolling thru twitter last night this narrative that IU is more talented roster is still mind boggling to me.   watching the last 2 years, I do not see anywhere that IU is more talented.   The 2 big men are a wash.   IU backers, you're telling me you rather have your guards vs PU gaurds?    Stop it.   

Too many folks get enamoured by the "stars' attached to the name and the stars on the shorts......   

1791 days since IU beat PU.    That is absurb 

in last 6 years 

201 February 15, 2014 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 82–64
202 January 28, 2015 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 83–67
203 February 19, 2015 Bloomington, IN Purdue 67–63
204 February 20, 2016 Bloomington, IN #22 Indiana 77–73
205 February 9, 2017 Bloomington, IN #16 Purdue 69–64
206 February 28, 2017 West Lafayette, IN #16 Purdue 86–75
207 January 28, 2018 Bloomington, IN #3 Purdue 74–67
208 January 19, 2019 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 70–55
209 February 19, 2019 Bloomington, IN #15 Purdue 48–46
210 February 8, 2020 Bloomington, IN Purdue 74–62
211 February 27, 2020 West Lafayette, IN Purdue 57–49
212 January 14, 2021 Bloomington, IN Purdue 81–69

Problem is, if you get rid of Archie, who is next?? I just so surprised that Archie can't run any type of offense scheme to score points. They rank 146th in nation in points scored in B1G games, Defense is worse, 240th national in points allowed with B1G games. Dane Fife?? Problem is that is association to Knight and IU doesn't want to go down that road anymore from what I've heard. 

7 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Problem is, if you get rid of Archie, who is next?? I just so surprised that Archie can't run any type of offense scheme to score points. They rank 146th in nation in points scored in B1G games, Defense is worse, 240th national in points allowed with B1G games. Dane Fife?? Problem is that is association to Knight and IU doesn't want to go down that road anymore from what I've heard. 

On the surface, it makes sense, but Dane has done well building his resume'. People with the school may have made a blanket statement as an out, to avoid a certain alum who seems to bounce around a lot, after a meteoric rise to D1. :)  It is a fair question to ask, but also not a good reason to hang on to what is not working. I would say the legacy route is working well for Michigan though. There does not seem to be a lot of big names out there, but one that jumped out in a couple of searches is Tommy Amaker. He has done a great job with Harvard. The other names, outside of Mark Few, who is not going anywhere, make me think of Archie. I think the mid major path is really the only way to go, unless there is a top assistant in one of the top power five teams. 

I will still hold out hope for Brad Stevens. 

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

On the surface, it makes sense, but Dane has done well building his resume'. People with the school may have made a blanket statement as an out, to avoid a certain alum who seems to bounce around a lot, after a meteoric rise to D1. 🙂 It is a fair question to ask, but also not a good reason to hang on to what is not working. I would say the legacy route is working well for Michigan though. There does not seem to be a lot of big names out there, but one that jumped out in a couple of searches is Tommy Amaker. He has done a great job with Harvard. The other names, outside of Mark Few, who is not going anywhere, make me think of Archie. I think the mid major path is really the only way to go, unless there is a top assistant in one of the top power five teams. 

I will still hold out hope for Brad Stevens. 

Didn't think of Stevens, that would be interesting. Since the alumni/legacy route is likely not to happen, mid major or top assistant sounds like the path. Top mid majors candidates; Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro). Bob Richey (Furman), Andy Toole (Robert Morris). Some top assistants to consider; Jon Scheyer (Duke), Brian Michaelson (Gonzaga) Nichols & Mincey (Flordia) and Krabbenhoft (Wisconsin) There are tons more out there as well. Years ago you would think that IU would never turn the keys to the program over to someone other than a "big name" coach, but think those days are over. Per Dan Dakich, IU top admin said years ago they wanted to de-emphasize basketball at IU, I would now say, "job well done" IU !!

• Like 1

The Rational IU Fan point of view,

1) Chill out: top to bottom this IU team is really young, talented but young its not a good year to be finding footing in a historically deep and difficult Big ten plus limitations dude to COVID. IU is competitive in every game this year minus Texas (a top 5 team in the nation) and stretches vs Purdue. Injuries have hurt too (Brunk, Franklin, Phinese) I know what excuses are like!

2) Year 5: Archie needs year 5 especially if TJD comes back. If this is the case IU will be experienced, older, and deeper than just about every team in the conference and might just be considered the favorite to win the Big Ten. If you don't give him year 5 then you will you will see mass exodus for NBA and Transfer further throwing things off any path in the ditch once again. Lack of shooting is only a problem if you don't win 56-48. 

3) IF: Year 5 is a bust and it could be a talented IU team flops in the Big Ten, limps too the tourney, and gets booted early/misses altogether, then by all means hand him the pink slip and not a person nationally, locally, or really Archie himself could argue. 

4) The search is already over: I agree with one name and that is Dane Fife . Lets take a lesson from our hated neighbors to the North. Purdue enjoys sustained success as a tourney team and top half Big Ten team for one reason their coach is extremely invested in their program. Not only for a desire to win but pride. This is what Howard has also brought to Michigan and What I think Fife would bring to IU. Forget the Bob Knight association Fife is the best choice for his experience. He knows the Big 10 and the State of Indiana, learned from Izzo, and has been a Head Coach. Who cares that he played for Knight!? (well nobody except grandpa and Dickey V) that's irrelevant and shouldn't help or hurt him.

Ultimately that won't happen why? 

•    Fans desperation for the " Parodical Son" not just Brad , but the BIG NAME GUY (i.e. Billy Donavan, Mark Few). This guy isn't coming to IU period sorry to say it these guys aren't coming to a high risk and low reward situation like Indiana and its been like that for a while now. I admit this did not dawn on me until they hired Archie. Because its the only possible reason why they hired Archie. 
  • Association with Knight the University has been scared of any such association for a long time but it does seem after last year its starting to fade. 
  • A possible  "Tom Allen effect" do you go with a quick choice or someone on staff? I could see a curve ball and all the sudden and Mike Roberts becomes the next HC (Though I wouldn't be mad to see what Kenya Hunter or Bruiser Flint could do in B-Town). 
  • The Mid-Major flavor of the month. Hiring this cool, young, relatable mid-major HC otherwise known as lets throw Sh## at the wall and see if it sticks. Hey sometimes it does (Holtman-OSU, Cronin- UCLA might be a little early, Shaka - Texas). But if it doesn't ? Wash , Rinse, and Repeat see you all in therapy! 

Plan B:

SO crazy it might actually work? What if I told you there was a coach who had taken a power conference school to the Final Four, 9 straight 20 win seasons, was a national coach of the year, 3 time Conference tourney champion in a conference with a Blueblood program. Would leave that program for Indiana because he believes Indiana is one of the best bball programs in the nation. Could get IU back to 20 wins and the NCAA Tourney in his FIRST season. Sign the best High School basketball player in the State of Indiana in 20 years (whatever means necessary 😅) Wins anywhere he's ever been. Only downside is he likes to talk on the phone a little too much 😉...….. would you hire him? 

A nice apology and 4 million a year it could all be water under the bridge. I jest but in all seriousness I think he got a raw deal considering most of his violations are now legal in NCAA bylaws and McRobbie doesn't exactly have the best track record in major university decisions ..... And winners at that level tend to come with some baggage..... so do you want a squeaky clean losing program or a ehhh maybe that wasn't the best decision BUT where going dancing every March 

Its gotta make you think what if. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, southend said:

You may be right . I have a little bit of a different take on the situation. This program ,basketball,was in similar shape as the football program was before Wilson took over. Crean literally could not coach players, 5 years in, it was obvious when we ended up with two, 2! now, top five picks in the NBA draft. And didn’t get past the sweet sixteen. That’s when he had his walking papers but was given a 2nd chance. And AD Glass lost respect.So recruiting was his savior first 5 years, then his Achilles. He alienated all indiana HS coaches and lost all the all stars to various other schools.    The situation ,little Ryan Miller took over ,was in shambles to say the least. 
And A situation no reasonably established coach wanted any part of after, Sampson and Crean eras. 
So the time frame is at least 5 years for Arch, in my mind. To accumulate and form a team here. The defense is getting respect from other coaches around the league . Also the one and done thing makes it a little harder on a unproven coach. He continues to sign top Indiana kids, keeping them away from OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Louisville, Etc. which is crucial to the success of the program.  All schools know Indiana boys can ball. Indiana is not to far off on talent but I think next year will be a big bump in production for the program.  The confidence is just not there yet ,as you can see the way they finish games this year. Let’s give it another few years here. 

So much for my take on Archie(little Ryan) Miller. Scott D. Has some agenda, and a sharp axe,and it does not  include Ryan Miller.