Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Welcome the ROYALS of

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Edited above.  

Like I thought, you have no sources saying they were forced to do anything. And how dare Roncalli for not wanting to be associated with a bunch of losers who got their butts kicked so badly they’re still butthurt about it 150+ years later. I’m sorry them changing the nickname triggers you. 

5 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Like I thought, you have no sources saying they were forced to do anything. And how dare Roncalli for not wanting to be associated with a bunch of losers who got their butts kicked so badly they’re still butthurt about it 150+ years later. I’m sorry them changing the nickname triggers you. 

Never said they were forced.  

You seem to be the “triggered” one.

6 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

You’re the one throwing the fit over a name change that a school did voluntarily. 

Throwing a fit?  Not one exclamation point, ALL CAPS or any name calling

Just calling a spade a spade.

Question:  Why now?  What changed?  The nickname stood for decades without incident.

Did “Rebel” suddenly become offensive?  Did it’s meaning change from 1970 to 2020?  Do we know more about rebels now than we did before?

Lets have a civil discussion for once.  

Edited by temptation

41 minutes ago, temptation said:

Throwing a fit?  Not one exclamation point, ALL CAPS or any name calling

Just calling a spade a spade.

Question:  Why now?  What changed?  The nickname stood for decades without incident.

Did “Rebel” suddenly become offensive?  Did it’s meaning change from 1970 to 2020?  Do we know more about rebels now than we did before?

Lets have a civil discussion for once.  

If you’ve read articles about this, you’d know there’s been people who’ve called for the name to be changed since the 80s, when the associations with the Confederacy really started. The name was originally supposed to honor Roncalli, who was a ‘rebel’ in the church. No one would care if that’s what the name still represented. But over the years, it seems the nickname became more and more associated with the other rebels, with confederate flags in the yearbook and a confederate soldier mascot (which were rightfully banned in the 90s). The problem is, right or not, people still associate “rebels” with the confederacy. I know you’ve said before you work with kids, go ask any black kid you work with how the confederacy and confederate paraphernalia make them feel (even though in your first comment you seemed to make fun of this). 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

If you’ve read articles about this, you’d know there’s been people who’ve called for the name to be changed since the 80s, when the associations with the Confederacy really started. The name was originally supposed to honor Roncalli, who was a ‘rebel’ in the church. No one would care if that’s what the name still represented. But over the years, it seems the nickname became more and more associated with the other rebels, with confederate flags in the yearbook and a confederate soldier mascot (which were rightfully banned in the 90s). The problem is, right or not, people still associate “rebels” with the confederacy. I know you’ve said before you work with kids, go ask any black kid you work with how the confederacy and confederate paraphernalia make them feel (even though in your first comment you seemed to make fun of this). 

The mascot is a bit much but I “rebel” every time I break the speed limit.

You’re overthinking this one dude.  Really.

• Disdain 2

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

The mascot is a bit much but I “rebel” every time I break the speed limit.

You’re overthinking this one dude.  Really.

Lol very intelligent and thought out response. You wanted a civil discussion, I attempted to have one by providing the context of this. I’m sorry that it doesn’t fit your narrative and now you’ve got nothing to say. It’s also quite ironic you say I’m overthinking this when you were just attempting to draw a bunch of unfounded conclusions about why Roncalli did this in the first place. 

• Like 1