Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ty Hunt Steps Down as Cardinal Ritter Head Coach

Interesting opportunity.  

3A hasn’t necessarily been that kind to Ritter.  They’ve yet to make it out of Sectional.  Seems like just a handful of years ago when Ritter was still 2A and smashed a good Chatard team that had just beat Cathedral fairly soundly and later went on to win the 3A State Championship.

Edited by Lysander

13 hours ago, Lysander said:

Interesting opportunity.  

3A hasn’t necessarily been that kind to Ritter.  They’ve yet to make it out of Sectional.  Seems like just a handful of years ago when Ritter was still 2A and smashed a good Chatard team that had just beat Cathedral fairly soundly and later went on to win the 3A State Championship.

Ritter has been losing some stars to Cathedral and I believe Chatard.   That make it hard. 

The CYO and Catholic grade school system (St. Michael’s, in particular) provides Ritter an advantage over Covenant. That doesn’t mean that CC won’t potentially cut into their talent pool, but this is still an attractive job. 

1 hour ago, The TW said:

The CYO and Catholic grade school system (St. Michael’s, in particular) provides Ritter an advantage over Covenant. That doesn’t mean that CC won’t potentially cut into their talent pool, but this is still an attractive job. 

Had a talk with a long time CYO guy tonight.  Ritter has been losing a lot of St Michales kids to other schools.  Would not be surprised if they lose them to CC too.  

19 hours ago, temptation said:

Feel like I’ve seen this debate on here somewhere else but folks were in denial.

No special insight other than simply looking at names on rosters.  It strikes me that a few family names that permeated Ritter rosters (and were involved with coaching at various levels) during some of Ritter’s most productive recent periods can now be found at other archdiocesan schools (and possibly Cathedral).  

My guess is that the answer as to why that took place might provide some better insight as to what has happened and is happening at Ritter.  Just a guess, though.

I don’t think Covenant Christian (at least, over the most recent years) figures too prominently in that....at least not yet.

Add that I thought I had heard that Ritter had declined an early invite into the CIrcle City Conference and also somewhat abruptly cancelled their series with Chatard a few years back (a series that had taken some years to reinstate in the first place).  

• Thanks 1

Nice story in The Star, but it does not tell you the whole story. Too bad the Ritter Admin did not make this move 4-6 years ago. The Ritter  football program is a mess. Numbers are way down and kids transferring out to other schools.  This is the first senior class since 1997 to not win a sectional championship. I fell bad for this senior class, they deserved better. The cupboard is bare and Coach Hunt left it that way. Side note: There are no St. Michael football players at Covenant and I do not see any going there in the future.