Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Drew Brees - A Class Act

Bobref

I am not in the habit of praising Purdue QBs — or Purdue anything, when you come right down to it. But if you are unmoved by the career of Drew Brees, then you don’t truly have a football heart. How many guys can play that long, achieve so much, overcome what he had to get past, and you’ve never heard anyone say a single bad word about them? I hope, for his sake, he does hang it up — he took a fearful beating this season — and gets ready to stroll into Canton on the first ballot in 5 years. The way he has conducted himself both on and off the field should serve as a template for the Deshaun Watsons, Patrick Mahomes, and Lamar Jacksons, who aspire to leave a similar legacy. Not flashy, not controversial. Just a tremendous player, an inspiring leader, and a first class citizen. Well done!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I am not in the habit of praising Purdue QBs — or Purdue anything, when you come right down to it. But if you are unmoved by the career of Drew Brees, then you don’t truly have a football heart. How many guys can play that long, achieve so much, overcome what he had to get past, and you’ve never heard anyone say a single bad word about them? I hope, for his sake, he does hang it up — he took a fearful beating this season — and gets ready to stroll into Canton on the first ballot in 5 years. The way he has conducted himself both on and off the field should serve as a template for the Deshaun Watsons, Patrick Mahomes, and Lamar Jacksons, who aspire to leave a similar legacy. Not flashy, not controversial. Just a tremendous player, an inspiring leader, and a first class citizen. Well done!

Opinions are what makes discussions so intriguing.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Depends on who you ask I guess.  I vaguely remember him walking back his stance on something late this summer.

As for this guy, I’ll never utter a bad word about Mr. Brees.  One hell of a competitor that overcame his lack of size to become EASILY a top 10 QB of all-time (borderline top 5).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Depends on who you ask I guess.  I vaguely remember him walking back his stance on something late this summer.

As for this guy, I’ll never utter a bad word about Mr. Brees.  One hell of a competitor that overcame his lack of size to become EASILY a top 10 QB of all-time (borderline top 5).

Judge a man,  like a QB, on his body of work.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, temptation said:

BINGO!

Said it then and will say it now....he did that b/c of his post playing days.

40 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Judge a man,  like a QB, on his body of work.

You brought it up, not him.

Brees and I both started at Purdue in the Fall of '97. He was actually in the very first class I had. I recognized him because I followed recruiting and knew he was the QB from Texas. Crazy to think he went from being the skinny unknown kid in class that day to where he is now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Brees and I both started at Purdue in the Fall of '97. He was actually in the very first class I had. I recognized him because I followed recruiting and knew he was the QB from Texas. Crazy to think he went from being the skinny unknown kid in class that day to where he is now. 

He wasn't too hard to spot.