Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lowery leaves La Porte

The way I heard it explained when Dave Sharpe left the Slicers formed a search committee, the job was offered to Bob James who did not want it, it was then posted, a pool of applicants were received, the search committee the consulted with Paul Condry from the Indiana Football Digest and he narrowed the list down to 5 and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list.

43 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Per Home Town News and 96-7 the Eagle Jeremy Lowery has stepped down at La Porte to take over at West Washington in southern Indiana.  Third coaching change in the DAC this season.

https://hometownnewsnow.com/local-news/551961?fbclid=IwAR0gQ0DoNzmx80yqw6qARgYjJgjWAGqjfUAvKnF1Fk4g2h1dhpE5EUnr26Y

I'm not familiar with northern Indiana, but isn't LaPorte a 5 or 6A school?  Not often do you see a coach both change corners of the state and school size to such a difference.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I'm not familiar with northern Indiana, but isn't LaPorte a 5 or 6A school?  Not often do you see a coach both change corners of the state and school size to such a difference.    

La Porte is 5A.  Under Lowery La Porte pulled off sectional wins in the first round over Michigan City in 2019 then won over hapless Munster in 2020 but lost to Valpo both times in the sectional championship.  Actually played Valpo pretty good in the sectional title game this past season.  La Porte played a lot of sophomores the last two seasons.

Edited by Tommy

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

O'Shea went in the other direction, although still in the north part of the state, leaving 1A LCC to go to 6A North Central.

53 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I'm not sure where Lowery is from originally, but prior to being the HC at LaPorte, he was HC at Paoli and was an assistant there for years before that. West Washington is about 25 minutes from Paoli, so it is a homecoming of sorts for him. Congrats to Coach Lowery.

Lowery graduated from Penn

Edited by Tommy

4 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

I'm not sure where Lowery is from originally, but prior to being the HC at LaPorte, he was HC at Paoli and was an assistant there for years before that. West Washington is about 25 minutes from Paoli, so it is a homecoming of sorts for him. Congrats to Coach Lowery.

I was going to say...

18 hours ago, WWFan said:

Regardless it appears we have our new coach. Heard noting but good things from paoli people so far. Here is to hoping he will continue to build what we have and get us to Lucas. 

I hope my above comments weren't misconstrued as being negative.  I wondered if there was a family/regional connection that was drawing him back to Campbellsburg.  One of my college roommates was a Senator alum, and I have nothing but respect for the WW faithful.  I wish you guys and Coach the best of luck!

27 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I hope my above comments weren't misconstrued as being negative.  I wondered if there was a family/regional connection that was drawing him back to Campbellsburg.  One of my college roommates was a Senator alum, and I have nothing but respect for the WW faithful.  I wish you guys and Coach the best of luck!

O no not by me. I dont know much about him outside of he ran the flexbone at Paoli. After seeing no huddle shotgun for last like 15 years or so itll be interesting to see that transition if he chooses that path again. I watched some LaPorte games last night and they were run heavy but shotgun (similar to WW last year). Looking forward to finding out what info I can as it comes along. Just get all the kids you can to play and hopefully it leads to titles. Excited for the future

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Tommy said:

The way I heard it explained when Dave Sharpe left the Slicers formed a search committee, the job was offered to Bob James who did not want it, it was then posted, a pool of applicants were received, the search committee the consulted with Paul Condry from the Indiana Football Digest and he narrowed the list down to 5 and Jeremy Lowery was at the top of the list.

I was never offered the position. I was asked to be on the interview committee and I declined. My exact quote was "You guys did a pretty good job last time around. Find us another Dave Sharpe!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, slicercoach said:

I was never offered the position. I was asked to be on the interview committee and I declined. My exact quote was "You guys did a pretty good job last time around. Find us another Dave Sharpe!"

Look more long term this time.  I don’t want La Porte to become another program that has the seek a new head coach every 3 or 4 seasons.  Maybe get one of the players dads to volunteer to do it, when son graduates, get another volunteer dad.

21 hours ago, Tommy said:

Look more long term this time.  I don’t want La Porte to become another program that has the seek a new head coach every 3 or 4 seasons.  Maybe get one of the players dads to volunteer to do it, when son graduates, get another volunteer dad.

In defense of the process last time, I'm pretty confident that a long term solution was the goal.  Coach Lowery was hired with that in mind, and I believe he felt the same way.  2020 has been a tough year on everyone for a lot of different reasons, and I take Coach Lowery at his word.  This was a family decision for him and his family.  There is no ill will from this Slicer fan or anyone else I've talked to.  Disappointed?  Of course.  There are good people here and good players in the system.  Over the past few years we have developed one of the largest and best performing youth programs in NW Indiana.  I truly believe that the next coach here will have plenty of good things to work with.  I believe Coach Lowery felt the same way.  Circumstances just change sometimes.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Tommy said:

Tommy, you probably know that LaPorte has a lot coming back for 2021. The team was rising as the season ended.

Also, being a 5A schools is much better than being a 6A school if we're talking about winning the sectional.

I dont know but I'd guess the new coach will stay awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Ortiz led the state in receiving in 1994, Nick Wellman was his quarterback. He went to college and played football at the former St. Joseph college.  He was also a member of coach Buzea, Eric Schrieber and Mike Karpinski’s staff at Michigan City before going to La Porte.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The article in the paper said he has 3 sons in the program, so they took my advice and hired a players dad to do it.  

Little inside info, He is going to stick around awhile, Ortiz bought Mayor Tom Dermody’s old house on the outskirts of city limits a couple years ago because after mayor Demody left the state legislator he had to move into the city limits so he can run for mayor of Laporte.