Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre dame probation

Whiting89

Not defending anything, but wow, the case of the Smalls kid.....several programs caught up in illegal recruiting issues (just scratching the surface in the whole recruiting game). That said; the one violation of Kelly's was having a picture taken with a kid in a school cafeteria? Not excusing his behavior at all mind you, but damn......how much time passes before this type of thing is ok? After all, everything Kelvin Sampson did to get in trouble is now allowed. 

There just needs to be some type of paradigm shift with college athletics. Pro sports could help. I know it would be tough to develop a minor league football system, but baseball and hockey have a great thing going. The only issues is that with hockey, the NHL has a draft during the season, and there are always college players that leave just before the end of a season, as the playoffs approach, for the NHL; or some minor league team. I do think like baseball, hockey has a 3 year rule. Once you set foot on campus, it is a minimum of 3 years before you go pro. More baseball players get drafted out of high school than hockey, but most know what team they belong to. Basketball seems to be developing a minor league system, but it does seem they could do a lot more. That sport seems to be the biggest culprit when it comes to just using the college system as its minor league system. In the midst of UK's run of titles; to have a completely new  starting 5 in the final four in consecutive seasons is just nuts. And knowing they never attended a 2nd semester class is even more nuts. I don't know what the answer is for football, but something has  to give. It has been mentioned here multiple times how basically, 3 programs dominate the recruiting wars. Didn't basketball tinker with scholarship numbers several years ago ? It seemed to elevate a large number of mid major programs at that time, and that has remained. 

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not defending anything, but wow, the case of the Smalls kid.....several programs caught up in illegal recruiting issues (just scratching the surface in the whole recruiting game). That said; the one violation of Kelly's was having a picture taken with a kid in a school cafeteria? Not excusing his behavior at all mind you, but damn......how much time passes before this type of thing is ok? After all, everything Kelvin Sampson did to get in trouble is now allowed. 

There just needs to be some type of paradigm shift with college athletics. Pro sports could help. I know it would be tough to develop a minor league football system, but baseball and hockey have a great thing going. The only issues is that with hockey, the NHL has a draft during the season, and there are always college players that leave just before the end of a season, as the playoffs approach, for the NHL; or some minor league team. I do think like baseball, hockey has a 3 year rule. Once you set foot on campus, it is a minimum of 3 years before you go pro. More baseball players get drafted out of high school than hockey, but most know what team they belong to. Basketball seems to be developing a minor league system, but it does seem they could do a lot more. That sport seems to be the biggest culprit when it comes to just using the college system as its minor league system. In the midst of UK's run of titles; to have a completely new  starting 5 in the final four in consecutive seasons is just nuts. And knowing they never attended a 2nd semester class is even more nuts. I don't know what the answer is for football, but something has  to give. It has been mentioned here multiple times how basically, 3 programs dominate the recruiting wars. Didn't basketball tinker with scholarship numbers several years ago ? It seemed to elevate a large number of mid major programs at that time, and that has remained. 

I think its hilarious that many of the violations included here are minor and result in "probation" yet anyone with a brain knows what happens in the southeast and it largely goes unnoticed.  

Let's see how the Tennessee investigation pans out, if LSU's "self-imposed bowl ban" (during a sub .500 season) is deemed enough, and how the whispers that are beginning at Georgia are handled in the coming months...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I think its hilarious that many of the violations included here are minor and result in "probation" yet anyone with a brain knows what happens in the southeast and it largely goes unnoticed.  

Let's see how the Tennessee investigation pans out, if LSU's "self-imposed bowl ban" (during a sub .500 season) is deemed enough, and how the whispers that are beginning at Georgia are handled in the coming months...

image.jpeg.b9ef203d32c52753083e30f40ebdbc90.jpeg

HATE it, but we all know that is how it works.  Scummy.  ALL of it.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

And only in the southeast will a school purposely turn itself in for violations just to fire their coach and bring in the next best thing. I'm in not confidant in anything more than a 1 year self imposed Bowl ban for the Vols. The fact that Will Wade is still coaching hoops in Baton Rouge is about all you need to know about the power of the folks at NCAA HQ.

• Like 1