Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2021 NFL Off Season

Irishman

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

Yeah, have NEVER been a fan of Mel Kiper, and now Todd McShay is bad too. As a whole, I am not a fan of the sports talk scene; podcasts, radio shows, and even the TV shows. I watch on occasion because Lebatard's dad can be entertaining, and Kornheiser is ok too, but Andy Griffith on TVLand is much more fun to watch. 

And now some guy named Bucky with his own.

1 hour ago, DE said:

It says they are “laser focused on winning in 2021... .” Does that mean they weren’t in 2020? If they weren’t, why were they retained? If they were ... look at the results. Again, why were they retained?

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It says they are “laser focused on winning in 2021... .” Does that mean they weren’t in 2020? If they weren’t, why were they retained? If they were ... look at the results. Again, why were they retained?

Don't know.  It's a clown show.

8 minutes ago, DE said:

Don't know.  It's a clown show.

I would really like to know what the plan is. If George/Ted gave them 1 year to at least make the playoffs then they might as well have fired them. If they have a few years to turn it around, then I would prefer they draft a QB and not leverage 1st to 3rd round draft picks for someone like Carr now that Wentz is off the board. I may be crazy, but I was OK with at least 2 second rounders for Wentz. I have a gut feeling he's going to turn it around and I'm now looking forward to watching the Colts offense next year. 

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I would really like to know what the plan is. If George/Ted gave them 1 year to at least make the playoffs then they might as well have fired them. If they have a few years to turn it around, then I would prefer they draft a QB and not leverage 1st to 3rd round draft picks for someone like Carr now that Wentz is off the board. I may be crazy, but I was OK with at least 2 second rounders for Wentz. I have a gut feeling he's going to turn it around and I'm now looking forward to watching the Colts offense next year. 

I am a firm believer a lot can be said for the Christian relationship Carson Wentz and Frank Reich have had in the past.

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I am also a fan of Jalen Hurts, but I am not 100% sold on him......yet, being THE franchise QB.

I am very close though...like 95%.  I always thought he got jacked around at Alabama.  He was the transition QB from ground and pound, let our D beat the living hell out of you, to air it out and outscore your opponent.

He did quite well at OU.

The guy is a winner.  A GREAT teammate.  A true coaches kid.  

55 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Good move for the Colts....who knows; a fresh start may be good for Wentz. the Colts did not really give up much to get him either. 

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1362450149998546949?s=20 

Ballard is really something else. He knows how to run a team. Only way that conditional pick will end up being significant is if Wentz delivers, which in turn is worth giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick. 

48 minutes ago, DE said:

I am also a fan of Jalen Hurts, but I am not 100% sold on him......yet, being THE franchise QB.

I am very close though...like 95%.  I always thought he got jacked around at Alabama.  He was the transition QB from ground and pound, let our D beat the living hell out of you, to air it out and outscore your opponent.

He did quite well at OU.

The guy is a winner.  A GREAT teammate.  A true coaches kid.  

Yeah, I'm curious to see what the Eagles do. You're timeline with Hurts is accurate. He definately played in 3 different offensive schemes in college. I'm just not sold on him as well. His personality and character are what you would want in a franchise QB.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Ballard is really something else. He knows how to run a team. Only way that conditional pick will end up being significant is if Wentz delivers, which in turn is worth giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick. 

Story is now on IndyStar.com:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/02/18/colts-trade-carson-wentz-adam-schefter-reports-and-colts-confirm/4490603001/

The Colts have found their quarterback for the near future.

And if Frank Reich can rebuild Carson Wentz from the shell of himself that took the field in his final season in Philadelphia, Indianapolis might have found its quarterback for longer than that.

The Colts traded a third-round pick in 2021 and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first-round pick to Philadelphia to get Wentz, the quarterback Reich developed Wentz into an MVP candidate during his first two seasons with Eagles. Adam Schefter first reported the news. 

When Reich left Philadelphia to take the head coaching job in Indianapolis, it seemed like he’d left the Eagles a franchise quarterback to carry them for the next decade, and Philadelphia agreed, signing Wentz in 2019 to a four-year, $128 million extension that included $107.9 million in guaranteed money.

While Wentz’s contract was an albatross for the Eagles, it’s manageable for the Colts. Wentz will count $25.4 million in guaranteed money against the salary cap in 2021 and $22 million in guaranteed money in 2022, and he’s still only 28. If he can regain something close to his 2017-2019 form, Wentz might be the long-term solution the Colts have needed since Luck’s retirement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A modest proposal for the NFL’s 17th game: https://deadspin.com/a-modest-proposal-for-the-nfl-s-17th-game-1846572811

It was the worst-kept secret, and the NFL owners have been pushing for this for years. But this week the NFL will make the 17th game official. The players hate it (see Alvin Kamara), but some are kind of shocked that they agreed to this in the latest CBA. Communication is not the NFLPA’s strong suit, it seems. The 17th game is the sweetener the league used to get more billions out of the four networks and the streaming service that will televise its games. And yet the salary cap is remaining flat. Strange, no?

We’ve been over how silly a 17th game is, simply because it’s not an even number. The NFL has just about the most balanced schedule of the four major sports, and a 17th game will only move them farther away from that. That’s before you get into the added injuries, shorter careers, and the imbalance between home and road games.

It’s the last one that the league could solve. Make every team’s 17th game a neutral site one. It’s not as outlandish as it sounds. The league already exports a handful of games to England and Mexico every season, so it’s already part of the way there. There are certainly enough prime destinations for fans to mark the calendars and go. And I’ve seen Bears fans drink Nashville out of Miller Lite, so don’t tell me that two traveling bands of fans couldn’t fill stadiums in Vegas or Miami or wherever.

The real appeal would be in the creative venues. South Bend and Ann Arbor have already been used for NHL Winter Classics. No reason they couldn’t be used for NFL games. There are various others around that would make for cool events and make fans’ travel plans for them.

It would also balance everything. Eight home games, eight road games, one neutral site. Teams wouldn’t have to worry about competing for divisions or top seeds or wild cards with teams that got an extra home game that they didn’t, especially if battling teams that have a serious home advantage, like Green Bay (they don’t lose at home until the playoffs) or Seattle or Vegas probably will.

It sounds like a logistical nightmare, but it can be easily done. Not that the NFL needs an “attraction” like the NHL does to attract viewers to a big occasion. But the NFL can get away with trying anything, such as this pretty ridiculous 17th game.

Another "show me the money!" move by the NFL.  They need this 17th game to recoup the cash the teams and the league burned through during the covid season.