Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sleeping Giants - Who are they and when will they break out?

Guest DT

1 hour ago, slicer28 said:

I'm not going to defend every aspect of Sharpe's power T.  There are certainly valid criticisms of the system.  However, his years at LaPorte were not "average".  They were honestly pretty damn good apart from his last year there (which was a very tough year for him and the team for a number of reasons I'm not going to belabor here).  If he called 52 passes last year that's probably double what he typically called at LaPorte, and the teams at LaPorte averaged nearly 30 points per game on offense (and there were lots of games where a pass was never attempted...).  Everyone knew what was coming and they couldn't stop it.  Run properly it is not a "grind it out offense" it can be high scoring and dynamic.  Go look at the numbers.  Those offenses at LaPorte were prolific scoring offenses.  The 2016 team was the smallest school in 6A and I truly believe that they would have had a chance to make it to LOS had they been in 5A that year.  They had good players who believed in the system and they were successful because of it.  That "rugby" offense at LaPorte was often problematic in LaPorte because it scored too fast and kept putting the defense back on the field.

It's not like Noblesville was a juggernaut when Sharpe showed up.  They averaged 15.3 ppg last year.  That was the highest ppg Noblesville has had since 2016.  What did you expect?  A messed up off season with a new coach and system would somehow take a program that has struggled offensively for the past 4 years and make them a prolific scoring machine?  Give the guy a chance.

I expected the white flag not to be waved so early in a game....I expected to see an offense that at least was designed to be successful in a conference of full of modern offensive schemes....I didn't expect a rugby match but that's what I witnessed...I'm sure they will give him a chance....I'm happy for that for one season.

24 minutes ago, BigBH said:

classic diversion attempt when you have nothing of value to add.

I am not the one bashing a high school coach, school, and team on a HIGH SCHOOL message board.  That would be you.

I have REPEATEDLY asked you to provide FACTS and you have not.  So my guy, you are the one diverting and have nothing of value to add.

Again, just because YOU do not like what Coach Sharpe is doing w/ HIS program at Noblesville (a school in which you have no vested interest in), doesn't make his philosophies wrong.  It simply proves your main goal here is to bash him, the school and the team.

13 minutes ago, DE said:

I am not the one bashing a high school coach, school, and team on a HIGH SCHOOL message board.  That would be you.

I have REPEATEDLY asked you to provide FACTS and you have not.  So my guy, you are the one diverting and have nothing of value to add.

Again, just because YOU do not like what Coach Sharpe is doing w/ HIS program at Noblesville (a school in which you have no vested interest in), doesn't make his philosophies wrong.  It simply proves your main goal here is to bash him, the school and the team.

Now that post deserves another little funny GIF...come on!!

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

I think those of us in Central Indiana tend to forget/overlook (and the rest of the state unaware of) that the population of Hamilton County alone likely exceeds that of Fort Wayne at this point (it was within about 5,000 people 5-6 years ago).  

Allen County - 379,000

Hamilton County - 338,000

Fort Wayne (city limits) - 270,000

-city limits doesn't include surrounding burbs. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

48 minutes ago, BigBH said:

Now that post deserves another little funny GIF...come on!!

forgot to add my proof is at the tip of my fingers I have the Hudl game tape....I just had lunch so I won't watch it.  It may appear I'm bashing, just having a little fun with the Millers.

I would guess BigBH stands for either blowhard or butthead.  Really, what's the difference?

I have coached at both Westfield and Noblesville middle schools.  Westfield has a system in place that everyone from pee wees to varsity run and the HS coaches attend practices to help with installs.  Westfield runs a spread formation and is an inside/outside zone team.  All of the players know the terminology and formations because they are drilled in them from the time they start playing football.

I was at Noblesville when Justin Roden was the HC.  I saw a HS coach at one of our practices twice and never saw them at a game.  I just don't feel he had any plans to be a long-term coach for the Millers.  I had to give up coaching due to work and have not had the opportunity to see Coach Sharpe's approach.  I do know we had good kids at Noblesville and with 2 middle schools they do have the opportunity to create some depth and competition for spots in high school.  The year I coached we competed with the middle schools from HSE, Westfield and Carmel and did quite well.  Whether the new staff is able to put it all together remains to be seen.

When you talk about offenses and the need to spread the field and run the ball, I think of Center Grove.  They are a wing-T team competing at the highest level of high school football in Indiana.  They have had the athletes recently to open it up a little, but they would never be considered a spread and throw kind of team.  They also have a program that is run the same from top to bottom.

The Millers can be successful, but it is going to take time, and patience.

• Like 4

The football fans that don't understand how certain styles of play don't fit into certain scenarios/situations baffles me.   Throwing the football is one of the most difficult things in sports.  Many spend Monday's arguing how the QB of their favorite NFL team sucks but then then sit in the stands on a Friday night yelling "throw the ball!"  

High School football in most communities involves kids that play other sports, you get 6-9 hours of practice time with these kids a week (not 22 like the college game).  So unless your going to monopolize the time of a lot of kids outside of the fall (remember their is a lot of skill involved in pass protection too, think of what NFL tackles get paid) throwing the football consistently at the HS level becomes a tall task.  

A lot of the schools that are utilizing a run heavy offense are trying to narrow the talent gap between them and their opponent.  Army, Navy, and Air Force have long been competitive running the Triple Option with what amounts to D2 and D3 talent at the D1 level.  If those teams lined up in the spread it would get really ugly for them very quickly.  When they do what they do we've seen them win big games (Navy vs ND) and push other D1 schools to the brink (Army vs Oklahoma, Army vs Michigan).    Yet we often see the fan in the stands at schools that are trying to use the precision and aggression of their ground and pound offense to win a similar way that the academies do, yelling to throw the ball and then posting on sites like this about how "dumb" or "unimaginative" the offense is.   They have no idea how wide the gap would be in those games if that running team were to try to jump into a 4 or 5 wide shotgun formation. 

If you can get past all that, and you still want to throw the ball, have fun finding a coaching staff in 2021 to coach everything that you need to with the deep understanding that it takes to be elite in the spread.  You need a Qb Coach, a RB coach, OL Coach, TE Coach, Receivers Coach, and that is at minimum. AND they all need to have a deep understanding of how all the parts fit together (while working their 9-5 jobs or teaching their classes).  In the Straight T you can function with an OL coach (better with 2), TE Coach, and Backfield Coach.   Really limits the number of people you need to have that really know whats going on. 

Does throwing the football have a place in HS football?  Absolutely.  BUT the situation has to be right for it to go well. 

I suppose we will never open the eyes of some Monday morning Qbs, but all that know enough, know exactly what coaches like Coach Sharpe are attempting to accomplish offensively. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I would guess BigBH stands for either blowhard or butthead.  Really, what's the difference?

I have coached at both Westfield and Noblesville middle schools.  Westfield has a system in place that everyone from pee wees to varsity run and the HS coaches attend practices to help with installs.  Westfield runs a spread formation and is an inside/outside zone team.  All of the players know the terminology and formations because they are drilled in them from the time they start playing football.

I was at Noblesville when Justin Roden was the HC.  I saw a HS coach at one of our practices twice and never saw them at a game.  I just don't feel he had any plans to be a long-term coach for the Millers.  I had to give up coaching due to work and have not had the opportunity to see Coach Sharpe's approach.  I do know we had good kids at Noblesville and with 2 middle schools they do have the opportunity to create some depth and competition for spots in high school.  The year I coached we competed with the middle schools from HSE, Westfield and Carmel and did quite well.  Whether the new staff is able to put it all together remains to be seen.

When you talk about offenses and the need to spread the field and run the ball, I think of Center Grove.  They are a wing-T team competing at the highest level of high school football in Indiana.  They have had the athletes recently to open it up a little, but they would never be considered a spread and throw kind of team.  They also have a program that is run the same from top to bottom.

The Millers can be successful, but it is going to take time, and patience.

Pretty funny all you did is talk about yourself....blah blah blah!

2 hours ago, BigBH said:

Pretty funny all you did is talk about yourself....blah blah blah!

as a follow up you typed "I" nine times...bro stay in your lane you were chasing volunteer middle school jobs all over the north side of Indy...too funny.

5 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

The football fans that don't understand how certain styles of play don't fit into certain scenarios/situations baffles me.   Throwing the football is one of the most difficult things in sports.  Many spend Monday's arguing how the QB of their favorite NFL team sucks but then then sit in the stands on a Friday night yelling "throw the ball!"  

High School football in most communities involves kids that play other sports, you get 6-9 hours of practice time with these kids a week (not 22 like the college game).  So unless your going to monopolize the time of a lot of kids outside of the fall (remember their is a lot of skill involved in pass protection too, think of what NFL tackles get paid) throwing the football consistently at the HS level becomes a tall task.  

A lot of the schools that are utilizing a run heavy offense are trying to narrow the talent gap between them and their opponent.  Army, Navy, and Air Force have long been competitive running the Triple Option with what amounts to D2 and D3 talent at the D1 level.  If those teams lined up in the spread it would get really ugly for them very quickly.  When they do what they do we've seen them win big games (Navy vs ND) and push other D1 schools to the brink (Army vs Oklahoma, Army vs Michigan).    Yet we often see the fan in the stands at schools that are trying to use the precision and aggression of their ground and pound offense to win a similar way that the academies do, yelling to throw the ball and then posting on sites like this about how "dumb" or "unimaginative" the offense is.   They have no idea how wide the gap would be in those games if that running team were to try to jump into a 4 or 5 wide shotgun formation. 

If you can get past all that, and you still want to throw the ball, have fun finding a coaching staff in 2021 to coach everything that you need to with the deep understanding that it takes to be elite in the spread.  You need a Qb Coach, a RB coach, OL Coach, TE Coach, Receivers Coach, and that is at minimum. AND they all need to have a deep understanding of how all the parts fit together (while working their 9-5 jobs or teaching their classes).  In the Straight T you can function with an OL coach (better with 2), TE Coach, and Backfield Coach.   Really limits the number of people you need to have that really know whats going on. 

Does throwing the football have a place in HS football?  Absolutely.  BUT the situation has to be right for it to go well. 

I suppose we will never open the eyes of some Monday morning Qbs, but all that know enough, know exactly what coaches like Coach Sharpe are attempting to accomplish offensively. 

how much you want to wager no human being can or will read this word for word?

• Disdain 1

9 hours ago, BigBH said:

at what?

I've forgotten more about football than you will ever learn.  My mentor has 9 rings, but I'm sure your mentor can match that accomplishment.

My comment was not about me.  You are all about you and your inflated opinion of yourself.

I tried to give examples of why some programs are successful and some struggle.  Apparently when someone tries to get into a discussion with you, all we get is "this or that blows".  One might think that you are either a student or just the perfect example of someone who stands at the fence and knows it all without ever actually doing anything.  Sound about right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1