Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Buzea to Crown Point

They already are, how quickly we forget that Dana Evans played basketball there after transferring from Westside. I see students moving past Merrillville and just traveling a few minutes south to go to Crown Point. They might not have the elite level athletes now that Buz has at HF, but they will if he brings that staff with him from HF. Merrillville is not in a good place with this hire as Buz has demonstrated from his Portage days he can get parents to buy in and bring a certain level of electricity that the current Merrillville staff doesn't have. 

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Unless the school corporation has some policy against it, I can see this happening.

Girls basketball and boys wrestling doesn’t seem to have any trouble finding athletes who end up at CPHS, I’d assume football will be no different 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Ultimately have to have the Jimmies and Joes to do that, regardless of your coaching pedigree.  What kind of OMG! Athletes are walking the streets of Crown Point?  Will CP become an open-enrollment transfer destination due to this hire?

Agree. Currently, best case scenario, he puts Crown Point on the same page as the upper ring of the Hoosier Crossroads. He still hasn't gotten over that hump to win a Title. Lost in '94 with Portage and had 2 teams at H-F capable of winning 8A in Illinois. One lost in the State Championship and the other lost the defacto State Championship to Loyola Academy when sketchy seeding had the two playing early in the playoffs. I can envision him getting Crown Point into the State Championship eventually if all goes well. The guy just beat cancer a year ago and hasn't coached since. Hopefully, his health allows him to continue until he decides it's time to hang up the whistle. But, taking down the last team standing from the MIC in Lucas Oil, I have to agree it'll take more than just good coaching. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

Offensive preference for the new HC??

When I coached w/ Buzz in 2006, we adapted our offense to fit our personnel.

We initially planned on pro set, very balanced.  We discovered that wasn't our best fit and morphed into a run heavy, power, and 2 TE inside/outside zone team.  Much like the NIU Huskies of that era.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Im not buying into the logic that CP will soon dominate Merrillville regularly (that has never happened) but the fact that coach Buzea would take this job indicates that he feels he is in good health.

I'm glad he's okay.

In the past 20 years, CP is 12-22 vs Merrillville, including regular and post season games.

MV has won 5 of the past 6 matchups.

Reversing this trend will need to be a top priority for the new staff

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Im not buying into the logic that CP will soon dominate Merrillville regularly (that has never happened) but the fact that coach Buzea would take this job indicates that he feels he is in good health.

I'm glad he's okay.

Fair point Mark and you can certainly be right. My argument would be he's not coaching against Zac Wells or Rick Wimmer. No offense to Seiss, but he had a really good crop of talent come through that got even better with transfers. Can he sustain success or drop back down to .500'ish level seasons? If the later, I coud see CP dominating Merrillville regularly.

18 minutes ago, DE said:

image.jpeg.0f9a68aeadc02f1f45d629a439571218.jpeg

Ill be here contributing to threads until they ban me.  Not starting any new threads.  Thats my way of protesting undue admin censorship.

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Fair point Mark and you can certainly be right. My argument would be he's not coaching against Zac Wells or Rick Wimmer. No offense to Seiss, but he had a really good crop of talent come through that got even better with transfers. Can he sustain success or drop back down to .500'ish level seasons? If the later, I coud see CP dominating Merrillville regularly.

Wimmer was fired because he couldnt beat Howell and  Hobart.  Interesting Seiss-Buzea battle looming over the next 5 years.

55 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

That would be extremely coincidental it's not his daughter. Doesn't Lux live in Crown Point with a kid on the basketball team?

Wells has 2 daughters, both soccer players and Zoey plays bb as well. Lux has 3 boys I believe that are all in CP schools, all basketball players. 

Buzea hire is the closest thing to a "brand name" hire. Good coach with some health concerns. I'm not anointing CP as an instant contender in DAC. It's still Merrillville, Valpo and MC ahead of CP. What's the old quote; "It's not about the X's and O's, but the Jimmy's and Joe's." CP does not have the Jimmies and Joe's and they haven't had them in years.  They have size not necessarily strength but lack any real skill position athletes. From what I hear, Buzea needs to take over the CP Bulldog and Middle school programs, change i.e. mandate off season weight lifting and find a way to eliminate the "internal booster club/parents" influence on program.

I believe all of these can be done over time just not resulting in immediate results.

• Like 1

Is Wells coming back to Indiana to coach only? As mentioned, Merrillville benefited the last two years with awesome transfers. They will always have solid players with size and speed, but Seiss has been the? Merrillville is still top 2 with Valpo this fall even though both teams lost a ton of talent. From a systems standpoint, Valpo is in a better position to hold the top spot. Not sure what Crown Point has coming up through their middle school programs and at least for next year, they will be middle to the bottom of DAC. Notice, the largest schools in the conference are at the bottom. 

1. Valpo
2. Merrillville
3. Michigan City
4. Chesterton
5.  LaPorte
6. Crown Point
7.  Portage
8. Lake Central 

27 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Is Wells coming back to Indiana to coach only? As mentioned, Merrillville benefited the last two years with awesome transfers. They will always have solid players with size and speed, but Seiss has been the? Merrillville is still top 2 with Valpo this fall even though both teams lost a ton of talent. From a systems standpoint, Valpo is in a better position to hold the top spot. Not sure what Crown Point has coming up through their middle school programs and at least for next year, they will be middle to the bottom of DAC. Notice, the largest schools in the conference are at the bottom. 

1. Valpo
2. Merrillville
3. Michigan City
4. Chesterton
5.  LaPorte
6. Crown Point
7.  Portage
8. Lake Central 

The Duneland is going to be extremely interesting next year with a lot of storylines. 

1. Valpo & Merrillville: Coming off of multiple sucessful Tournament runs and both lost significant amounts of high end talent/size. Can Seiss and Marshall sustain success or do they take a step back and wait for more talent to come through? 

2. Michigan City: There's been some mentions on here that Mason will have a contender next year with some really good talent.

3. Chesterton: Typically floats around .500. Will the standout QB deliver some unexpected W's?

4. Crown Point: Lake Central, LaPorte: New Coaches. Lake Central and Crown Point both appear to be good hires. LaPorte still without a coach.

5. Portage: I don't like the future trajectory for the Red Tribe. Chestovich has his work cut out for him with the way the landscape is changing in the Duneland. 

35 minutes ago, DT said:

Leave it at the offers.  Nothing more need be said.  The accrual of a Marian, Notre Dame, Ball State, and Bowling Green commit certainly helps one's chances.  Not to mention the addition of a 6'4 WR and a 215 pound RB, each with their own offers.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Wimmer was fired because he couldnt beat Howell and  Hobart.  Interesting Seiss-Buzea battle looming over the next 5 years.

That’s not the reason. If being unable to beat Hobart in those days was a firing offense, there would have been a lot more turnover in the DAC.

Edited by Bobref
  • Haha 1