Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Buzea to Crown Point

47 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s not the reason. If being unable to beat Hobart in those days was a firing offense, there would have been a lot more turnover in the DAC.

Janis Qualizza fired Rick Wimmer due to Wimmer's inability to beat Hobart.  There were certainly other mitigating factors but this is the primary reason for the firing.  

Qualizza felt that Wimmer did not relate well with the players.  She also felt that MV should be beating Hobart due to their enrollment advantage over the Bricks.

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s not the reason. If being unable to beat Hobart in those days was a firing offense, there would have been a lot more turnover in the DAC.

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wimmer-resigns-as-football-coach-at-merrillville/article_409fb7ef-bf8d-5ad0-b4ea-0327b4cb4774.html

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Janis Qualizza fired Rick Wimmer due to Wimmer's inability to beat Hobart.  There were certainly other mitigating factors but this is the primary reason for the firing.  

Qualizza felt that Wimmer did not relate well with the players.  She also felt that MV should be beating Hobart due to their enrollment advantage over the Bricks.

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wimmer-resigns-as-football-coach-at-merrillville/article_409fb7ef-bf8d-5ad0-b4ea-0327b4cb4774.html

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Keep going....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Qualizza felt that Wimmer did not relate well with the players.

I wonder how he managed to win state championships at two different schools, then? That’s not exactly common. Perhaps there was an official story, and then the real story.

Wimmer was a real hard ass when he was at Greenwood when I first met him.  I imagine he was much more difficult in his earlier years.  I think he started to mellow a little at Fishers.  But he has always been a hot head.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:52 PM, Tommy said:

Region Sports Network is reporting that Crown Point has hired Homewood-Floosmor and former Portage and Michigan City head coach as their new field general.  Crown Point will have their best coach since Brad Smith.

For the record, Chip Pettit was 72-51 in 11 season with CP, taking over a program that was 0-10 in the year 2000.

CP had back-to-back undefeated DAC title in 2005 and 2006. In Chip's final season, CP was 9-4 and won the sectional championship.

Coach Chip was very, very good. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

I'm reading that River Forest coach Joe O'Connell has resigned..............

To become the 'passing game coordinator' at Crown Point.   I like it.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

• 3 weeks later...

Buzz rounds out his staff by adding former Merrillville head coach Zac Wells, his DC at Homewood-Flossmoor, as his DC at Crown Point.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-hutton-column-st-0425-20210421-e4vwarintzeybikvjylwz5viem-story.html

Given his health issues, I wonder if the plan is to have Buzz coach a few years, get their program in place, and then hand the reins to Zac.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, Bobref said:

I wonder how he managed to win state championships at two different schools, then? That’s not exactly common. Perhaps there was an official story, and then the real story.

People grow with experience.  You know this Bob.  Wimmer was very young when he coached at MV.  He has always been hot tempered.  Certainly that experience he gained in The Region helped him later in his career.

5 hours ago, DT said:

People grow with experience.  You know this Bob.  Wimmer was very young when he coached at MV.  He has always been hot tempered.  Certainly that experience he gained in The Region helped him later in his career.

No doubt. But he already had one blue ring before coming to Merrillville (Zionsville 1987). I know, because that was the first state championship I worked.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:18 AM, Bobref said:

No doubt. But he already had one blue ring before coming to Merrillville (Zionsville 1987). I know, because that was the first state championship I worked.

I wonder if anyone in Indy is watching what is going on at CP

12 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

My guess is no, unless he's bringing some players from HF with him....

I was thinking more along the line of MIC and HCC each coaches

50 minutes ago, DT said:

I wonder if anyone in Indy is watching what is going on at CP

22 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

My guess is no, unless he's bringing some players from HF with him....

I’m not accusing you guys of this, but the “it don’t mean a thing unless you get a blue ring” mentality really chaps my @ss. This is a fascinating story on so many levels. I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Buzz has really assembled an all star staff, sort of on the model that made Michigan City relevant in the conference. I guarantee you, life just got significantly tougher for Valpo and Merrillville.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m not accusing you guys of this, but the “it don’t mean a thing unless you get a blue ring” mentality really chaps my @ss. This is a fascinating story on so many levels. I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Buzz has really assembled an all star staff, sort of on the model that made Michigan City relevant in the conference. I guarantee you, life just got significantly tougher for Valpo and Merrillville.

I think the higher ups at Crown Point are looking much further down the road than Valpo and Merrillville.

I think in their mind thy have already caught up, and much bigger fish remain to be fried down state.

A 6A state championship is clearly the goal for the Bulldogs.  You dont invest like CP has in a high school football program just to win a conference championship and a sectional.  

On 4/21/2021 at 9:50 PM, Bobref said:

Buzz rounds out his staff by adding former Merrillville head coach Zac Wells, his DC at Homewood-Flossmoor, as his DC at Crown Point.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-hutton-column-st-0425-20210421-e4vwarintzeybikvjylwz5viem-story.html

Given his health issues, I wonder if the plan is to have Buzz coach a few years, get their program in place, and then hand the reins to Zac.

Or some one else....

If my math is correct, Wells went 81-32 with 5 Sectional and 3 Regional Titles in 10 seasons at Merrillville before leaving to become Buzea's long standing DC. I would imagine at some point Wells would want to be a HC again unless he prefers to be out of the spotlight.

19 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

If my math is correct, Wells went 81-32 with 5 Sectional and 3 Regional Titles in 10 seasons at Merrillville before leaving to become Buzea's long standing DC. I would imagine at some point Wells would want to be a HC again unless he prefers to be out of the spotlight.

Wells made it very clear in the article that he prefers an assistant role and likes to stay in the background

On 4/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, DT said:

I think the higher ups at Crown Point are looking much further down the road than Valpo and Merrillville.

I think in their mind thy have already caught up, and much bigger fish remain to be fried down state.

A 6A state championship is clearly the goal for the Bulldogs.  You dont invest like CP has in a high school football program just to win a conference championship and a sectional.  

You’ve got to walk before you run.

• Like 1