Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Buzea to Crown Point

Region Sports Network is reporting that Crown Point has hired Homewood-Floosmor and former Portage and Michigan City head coach as their new field general.  Crown Point will have their best coach since Brad Smith.

02A8DB5C-D9BF-4758-9A1F-31E557A79373.png

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Lot of questions about this one, but I will say this is a wow as the rumors have been running rampant the last couple of weeks that he was returning to coach in the region since he never moved. He is getting one community that wants a good football team, but he will not have the physical, human, or dollars in Crown Point that he had at Homewood Flossmoor so security must be important in this move. 

No doubt that all of the head coaches in the DAC had a WT*!! moment with this confirmation. No doubt who won the battle of best new coach in the DAC and this doesn't matter even if Buz doesn't bring his staff with him. 

12 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Give coach good a chance it was a good hire 

The hires at LC and CP reflect the competitive profile of each school.   CP is going for it.  LC is looking to be competitive

"I've always said in private, this was the one and only job I'd come back (to Indiana) for," Buzea said.

Why? Let him count the reasons.

You just drive through (Crown Point), you see two turf fields for their feeder system, a dome. It just reeks of sports," he said. "The community is getting bigger. They're probably going to have 3,500 kids in five years in the high school."

Living here since 2004, I couldn't agree more.   The transformation Crown Point has made over that time has been seen in the community's investment in youth sports and overall long range plans for the city. Truly is HUB CITY of Lake County.   Love living here and gladly support many of the youth sports that is offered within the HS Teams programs, YMCA ( as seen here) and youth leagues both by city and travel.   

Granted, it helps that most of that money has come from being fortunate birthplace of a BILLIONAIRE who has been very philanthropical both in his days on earth and since his death with his families foundation.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_White_(businessman).  

https://www.forbes.com/profile/dean-white/?sh=483d3bff59a8

Man , not being a rat, I’m in shock , with the awe you all are in ,with this hire.  This pretty much puts the pressure button on the guy to perform, and perform quickly. I’ve seen this scenario before ,and it never seems to turn out the way everyone thinks it should.   Good luck. 

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Living here since 2004, I couldn't agree more.   The transformation Crown Point has made over that time has been seen in the community's investment in youth sports and overall long range plans for the city. Truly is HUB CITY of Lake County.   Love living here and gladly support many of the youth sports that is offered within the HS Teams programs, YMCA ( as seen here) and youth leagues both by city and travel.   

Granted, it helps that most of that money has come from being fortunate birthplace of a BILLIONAIRE who has been very philanthropical both in his days on earth and since his death with his families foundation.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_White_(businessman).  

https://www.forbes.com/profile/dean-white/?sh=483d3bff59a8

This is the move that CP needed to make to get the attention of the Indy mega schools.   

Step One is complete

Now it's on Buz to deliver the goods.   He always has.   He did was a player at Griffith and Lakeland College.  He took Portage and HF to championship level football.   He contributed to building MC into what it has become today

He's a winner.  Pure and simple

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Don't think its fair to put Coach Good in the @DT crosshairs just because Crown Point hired Coach Buzea 

The article clearly stated that CP was the only job in NWI that he would leave for.   The 2 are not connected in any way and any conjecture to link the two is just plain silly.  

I strongly disagree.

Coach Good is a well respected and accomplished coach.  But he has nowhere near the qualificactions, background and experience of Coach Buzea.

LC decided to go young and cheap.

CP is paying for experience and results.

Just two different approaches for two different programs at two vastly different stages of development

Time will tell as to which was the better choice.

1 hour ago, DT said:

This is the move that CP needed to make to get the attention of the Indy mega schools.   

Step One is complete

Now it's on Buz to deliver the goods.   He always has.   He did was a player at Griffith and Lakeland College.  He took Portage and HF to championship level football.   He contributed to building MC into what it has become today

He's a winner.  Pure and simple

I'll tell you, from the experience of playing for him in the mid '90's, he expects perfection at all times. There's no slacking in the weight room, off season conditioning, film room, practice field, etc. Very good players were benched or held completely out of key games if they weren't focused. He holds everyone accountable. Expect a very seasoned and intelligent coaching staff if he brings in one similiar to what he had in Michigan City and H-F. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. The Blue Ring has eluded him at Portage and H-F. He's not leaving a perennial 8A contender in Illinois to settle for Sectional and Regional Titles in Indiana.

Edited by Boilernation

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I'll tell you, from the experience of playing for him in the mid '90's, he expects perfection at all times. There's no slacking in the weight room, off season conditioning, film room, practice field, etc. Very good players were benched or held completely out of key games if they weren't focused. He holds everyone accountable. Expect a very seasoned and intelligent coaching staff if he brings in one similiar to what he had in Michigan City and H-F. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. The Blue Ring has eluded him at Portage and H-F. He's not leaving a perennial 8A contender in Illinois to settle for Sectional and Regional Titles in Indiana.

I see lots of sectional titles in the future if 6A sectional 1 consists of Crown Point, Lake Central, Portage and one of the newly consolidated Hammond schools.

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I see lots of sectional titles in the future if 6A sectional 1 consists of Crown Point, Lake Central, Portage and one of the newly consolidated Hammond schools.

That's small time thinking Tommy.  Buz will be gunning for a 6A blue ring.   He is 60 years old.   He likely has a 5 year plan to achieve that goal

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Buz will be gunning for a 6A blue ring.   He is 60 years old.   He likely has a 5 year plan to achieve that goal

Ultimately have to have the Jimmies and Joes to do that, regardless of your coaching pedigree.  What kind of OMG! Athletes are walking the streets of Crown Point?  Will CP become an open-enrollment transfer destination due to this hire?

Edited by Muda69