Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

John Harrell theorem

2 hours ago, mbennett40 said:

Would assume he needs more because of teams that play out of state teams.

If we focus on just the Summit Conference, where all 10 teams play each other exclusively, does he need less than 5 schedules to deduce the schedules of every other team?

5 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

If we focus on just the Summit Conference, where all 10 teams play each other exclusively, does he need less than 5 schedules to deduce the schedules of every other team?

Since it's all data driven if 5 of the teams submitted schedules the opponents would be known for all games except for those the 5 unreported teams play each other. I'm sure he could go in and make some assumptions, but each of those teams would be missing 4 games. I imagine he just keep looking or waiting for those other schools to submit their schedules.

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Can John Harrell extrapolate all IHSAA football schedules once he has received half of them? Or, is it possible with less? Or, does he need more?

Can you create an account on his message board and ask him directly?  Or ask him on Twitter?

I'm sure he does some extrapolation, because there are several teams that currently have partial schedules. I doubt AD's submit them a few games at a time.

It would have to be a well distributed half to get a full schedule for all teams. Theoretically, there's no reason to believe if half of the schools in the Indianapolis area submitted their schedules, you'd get the same percentage in the Fort Wayne area. Not necessarily. If one school is getting a new AD, it could delay submissions for several teams even if all the conference games are set.

Edited by JeffO2

On 3/19/2019 at 8:00 AM, JeffO2 said:

I'm sure he does some extrapolation, because there are several teams that currently have partial schedules. I doubt AD's submit them a few games at a time.

It would have to be a well distributed half to get a full schedule for all teams. Theoretically, there's no reason to believe if half of the schools in the Indianapolis area submitted their schedules, you'd get the same percentage in the Fort Wayne area. Not necessarily. If one school is getting a new AD, it could delay submissions for several teams even if all the conference games are set.

Partial schedules exist because their opponents have submitted their schedule. If Carmel provides their schedule every opponent will have the Carmel game show up on their schedule because the opponent is tied in the database. I wonder how often teams submit conflicts and discover their opponent doesn't have the same game on their schedule.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

Partial schedules exist because their opponents have submitted their schedule. If Carmel provides their schedule every opponent will have the Carmel game show up on their schedule because the opponent is tied in the database. I wonder how often teams submit conflicts and discover their opponent doesn't have the same game on their schedule.

opponent is tied in the database

Our resident DBaser addressed this earlier. Contrary to Jimmie's comments, there's a little more to spreadsheets than doing goesintas. 

I wonder how often teams submit conflicts and discover their opponent doesn't have the same game on their schedule.

I know it's happened to us, we think we have a game scheduled, only to find out they're on the road with a different school.