Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2021

9 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

The officials after the game even told me it was the worst display of sportsmanship they had seen in a while.

I’m not crazy about hearing that an official made such a remark in a postgame setting where it might be repeated … as it was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m not crazy about hearing that an official made such a remark in a postgame setting where it might be repeated … as it was.

I can't remember ever seeing officials talking to anyone after a game. I do know they can run faster than I can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

Dude it was a running clock.  Take a knee.  The officials after the game even told me it was the worst display of sportsmanship they had seen in a while.

I find that to be an odd statement considering what I've witnessed in the past when Plymouth came to Middlebury. 

18 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Very random, but just an observation I made recently. First, I want to preface that I hope there are some viewers/guests to this thread that would consider creating an account to provide their own thoughts and opinions on the NLC. I say that because outside of a handful of users making posts, this thread is CRICKETS! However... even though there are few posting, this thread still gets a lot of views! Check this out. As of me writing this post:

NLC - 2021
45 replies - 5.5k views

Let's compare that to some other threads with a similar number of replies:

Snider 2021
60 replies - 2k views

New Pal headed back to 4A?
53 replies - 3.4k views

Hoosier Conference
48 replies - 3.6k views

Bishop Chatard at Cathedral
44 replies - 2.5k views

Merrillville
41 replies - 1.5k views

As you can see, we have plenty of people stopping by to check out what is being written about the NLC. Would love to see some more of those who are viewing give their own inputs 😄 Don't be afraid, we won't bite

I am definitely one of those people who loves checking out the NLC but not adding anything to this thread. I'll definitely start contributing in these next few weeks. 

I'm an Indy guy but I do have some connections in the Michiana area and I think the NLC is an incredibly underrated conference state-wide. 

2 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Big game down in Warsaw tomorrow night, hoping the injury bug didn't bite us too hard.   Regardless it's next man up and coach Eppley will have our guys ready to play. 

Really looking forward to sectional 19. 3 teams in the top 10 of 4A through week 4. I have enjoyed seeing Northridge turn around since the 2013 season and glad to see the defense is picking up where they left off.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

All I did was walk with them as I was leaving the game.  I usually talk to them when officials come to Plymouth.  I asked their thoughts on that last play.

23 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I find that to be an odd statement considering what I've witnessed in the past when Plymouth came to Middlebury. 

So...the standard is to repeat poor sportsmanship?  Hopefully the new AD at ridge will take care of that attitude.

12 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

All I did was walk with them as I was leaving the game.  I usually talk to them when officials come to Plymouth.  I asked their thoughts on that last play.

I spoke with fans many times when leaving the field after a game. Often times a fan will ask about a particular call or play. If I could educate the fan by answering the question, I would. If it was a “sour grapes” question, I’d avoid it. But it was always about the rules, never about judgment calls. Offering a judgmental observation like that to a perfect stranger is unprofessional, IMO. More problematic is that you have no idea where that observation is going to be repeated, whether it’s going to be repeated accurately, or embellished, or what that person’s reason is for asking the question. Much better to stay away from that stuff.

Halftime of tonight's games represent the official midway point of the regular season. Always flies by! I went 3-1 last week on my predictions with my Tigers thankfully proving me wrong. 17-5 on the season in picks that mean nothing. Here are my uneducated guesses for Week 5.

Concord (3-1, 2-0) at Goshen (2-2, 0-2): I think the RedHawks did a good job last week proving that they will at least be a respectable opponent the rest of this season. I have no doubt they should win later season contest against Plymouth and Wawasee, but the Minutemen are just the better team here. Concord's offense has been clicking more consistently the last two weeks to catch up with their defense. Concord by 14

Northridge (4-0, 2-0) at Warsaw (3-1, 2-0): Game of the week in the conference, and possibly one of the best games in the entire state tonight in the Lake City. The Raider defense will see their first test of the season after feasting on lesser opponents to start the schedule. They have gone 0-3 against Warsaw since Coach Curtis came to town with his Bart Ball offense, and their only 3 losses last season were against teams that pound the rock (Warsaw by 13, Mishawaka by 20, and Leo by 7). If they can force the Tiger offense into 3rd and longs and create turnovers, they can certainly win. However, I question what they can do on offense themselves. As stated, the teams they have played so far this season are not exactly defensive juggernauts, and the Warsaw defense showed up in a big way last week in the Princess City. Should be a great game at Fisher Field. Warsaw by 6

Plymouth (0-4, 0-2) at Mishawaka (3-1, 1-1): Someone had to lose last week, and the Cavemen just happened to be on that side of things. I am assuming the younger Fisher will still be starting at QB this week, and a matchup with the hapless Rockies is just what he needs to develop more experience and confidence under his belt. No reason to think this game will be close whatsoever. Mishawaka by 35

Wawasee (0-4, 0-2) at NorthWood (2-2, 1-1): The Panthers are still an intriguing team to me. They get one more warm-up game before a hellacious three game road trip against Northridge, Mishawaka and Warsaw. How'd that happen? Either way, their goal this week against the Warriors should be to come out healthy while getting Coach Andrews his 100th victory as a head coach. They will have plenty of say left in the NLC race. NorthWood by 21

19 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

So...the standard is to repeat poor sportsmanship?  Hopefully the new AD at ridge will take care of that attitude.

Not condoning any bad sportsmanship, but also every year I can remember when playing in Middlebury, we have Plymouth players running past our sideline, trash talking and spitting on our goalpost.  The first time I witnessed it, happened to be a kid rather close to a certain coach on the other sideline and occurred in front of my youth kids that were there for MYFL night.  We never made it a big deal with the officials and only used it as motivation to play harder. 

Either way good luck to your Rockies, Pilgrims, or whatever mascot you all are using tonight 😂

I have a feeling tonight will be a little bigger if a test for us than the first 4 weeks. 

Concord (3-1) at Goshen (2-2): Things seem to be trending up for Coach Park and Goshen, but Concord has a great QB, a stud defensive playmaker, and should put them away pretty handily. Concord by 18

Northridge (4-0) at Warsaw (3-1): This one could go a long way at deciding the front runner for at least a share of the conference. Our first real test of the year, and we will be without some really key guys tonight/ moving forward, but it's next man up and some great opportunities for some younger kids tonight.   My head says Warsaw by 3, but my heart says Northridge by 1.

Plymouth (0-4) at Mishawaka (3-1): Mishawaka will take out last weeks heart breaking loss to Warsaw out on Plymouth tonight. Mishawaka by 40+

Wawasee (0-4) at NorthWood (2-2): I don't think this is a typical Panther team, but should roll easily tonight.  NorthWood by 30

Reactions from Week 5:

I know the Raiders were depleted at some key positions last week, but even at full strength I think the Tigers would have won that game, albeit much closer. Hopefully Northridge will heal up and be healthy soon, not only to play a role in the conference race, but to also compete in the LOADED 4A Sectional 19. On the Warsaw side of things, I was happy to see our defense make continued improvements over the last 3 weeks. That will be the key for them to close out the season. Goshen and NorthWood will be no slouches, but the Tigers should be favored the next 3 weeks before a regular season finale (and possible conference championship game) against Concord in Dunlap.

I had a feeling the RedHawks would at least stay competitive against Concord at Foreman Field. They definitely could pull an upset this week against Warsaw or the following week against Northridge and should defeat both Plymouth and Wawasee to end the season to have their best record since the 2016 season. The Northridge defense gets a lot of talk here, but my oh my, how about the Minutemen defense? The Koltookian brothers ended the game unofficially with 7.5 sacks combined on the night. Concord sits at the top of the NLC with Warsaw, but has arguably the toughest remaining schedule. The good thing? Their 3 toughest opponents (Mishawaka, Northridge, Warsaw) all have to come to Jake Field.

No real surprise with the other two games. I am beating a dead horse at this point, but Plymouth and Wawasee are both really bad and Mishawaka and NorthWood (respectively) had no issues with either of them. If either team wants to possibly win or share the conference title, both will have to go on the road this week for big "prove it" games. Will be interesting to see how both teams perform.

Meanwhile, the Rockies and Warriors will face off in Syracuse for the Pillow Fight of the Year game. Hey, at least one of them will pick up a win! My early prediction is that Plymouth will win, solely based on the fact that I believe they'll have the best player on the field in Devante Garcia. I will withhold my predictions until later in the week.

22 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Mishawaka at Concord... Mishawka has an under-rated defense. I think the varsity has given up 3 td's this season.

Agreed @Crusty! I was more impressed with the Cavemen on defense than I was the Raiders who get a lot more chatter on this forum for their defense. By the end of the season, we might see that Mishawaka and Concord were actually the two best defenses in the conference. Should be a great game.

Is Justin Fisher out for the rest of the season? His younger brother looks pretty comfortable taking the reigns, but I feel for Justin. He's a stud and I believe Mishawaka would have gone undefeated with him at QB and been able to make a potential tournament run with him at the helm.

42 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

How good are the tournament chances looking for Mishawaka, Concord, Northwood, Northridge, and Warsaw? I figure those 5 teams would be able to make a good amount of noise come October & November. 

Michigan City will be a tough out in sectional 10 which has both Mishawaka and Concord.

Warsaw can beat Carroll and Homestead. The issue that might run into with both of these teams is that if they fall behind they can have a hard time getting back into the game. Last year Warsaw was the more physical team against Carroll and it showed.

Northridge seems to have been hit with the injury bug, but they will be competing in Sectional 19 with East Noble and Leo. A ton of people are looking ahead to a rematch between Leo and EN, but Northridge showed last year that they are capable of beating either of those teams.

I'm sure @NLCTigerFan07 can provide a better breakdown, but from the outside looking in this is how I see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

How good are the tournament chances looking for Mishawaka, Concord, Northwood, Northridge, and Warsaw? I figure those 5 teams would be able to make a good amount of noise come October & November. 

I would agree with most of what @Prospect provided.

6A - Warsaw proved last year they could beat and compete with Carroll and Homestead. I would say Carroll is more improved this year than last, and Homestead has a heck of a squad. It helps being in a 3-team sectional this year with the weird rules that were in place thanks to Covid as Snider dropped to 5A, so if all Warsaw has to do is win 1 game (at home) for a sectional championship? That helps. However, facing a Regional opponent of whoever wins Sectional 4 (Westfield, HSE, Fishers, or Noblesville)... I would be surprised to see the Tigers get any further than that.

5A - If Mishawaka had their senior QB 100% healthy, I think they could/would have the best chance in Sectional 10, but Concord and Michigan City would be tough opponents. Then the winner of that sectional would likely face Valparaiso in the Regional, and then likely either Dwenger, Snider, Zionsville, or Harrison (WL) in the Semi-State... tough sledding no matter what team win Sectional 10.

4A - Honestly no NLC team has a shot IMO, especially with Northridge's injuries that have been sustained and from what I saw this past Friday night against Warsaw. Sectional 19 might be the best sectional in class 4A and has an arguement across the state really. Leo and East Noble are without a doubt head and shoulders above the rest, while Columbia City and Angola are no slouches.

My honest opinion? Mishawaka has the best opportunity to at least win a Sectional Championship this year, but it will be tough to come by. Beating Valpo in the Regional? I doubt it. As well, like I mentioned, if Warsaw only has to win a single game to be a Sectional Champion, that keeps them in the conversation. But I would not see them competing with any team from Sectional 4 with the exception of Noblesville... but the Millers are not winning that thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Agreed @Crusty! I was more impressed with the Cavemen on defense than I was the Raiders who get a lot more chatter on this forum for their defense. By the end of the season, we might see that Mishawaka and Concord were actually the two best defenses in the conference. Should be a great game.

Is Justin Fisher out for the rest of the season? His younger brother looks pretty comfortable taking the reigns, but I feel for Justin. He's a stud and I believe Mishawaka would have gone undefeated with him at QB and been able to make a potential tournament run with him at the helm.

i hear there are rumblings Justin might be back this year but nobody knows for sure. I hope for his sake he can...

• Like 1