Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2021

Sorry to see him leave.  He did alot for the program at NR.  I sincerely hope all is well with him and the family.  I posted the same letter earlier in the IFCA thread with Coach Nowlin.  Harms will have his hands full replacing him, but the school should be able to find a worthy replacement with the recently upgraded facilities that are just incredible.  (That hardly anyone was able to experience this season due to Covid)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Been good seeing Coach Wog out there with the kids still this off-season and watching our kids really buy in to Coach Eppley as the head of our program in Middlebury.

I think we will finish a game or 2 over .500 this season, but the future is looking bright in the next few years. 

We have some good upper classmen but I'm most excited to see our youngsters grow and learn, a few studs to watch these next 4 years for sure. 

Really excited to see the schedule announcement with changes being made the next decade through 2033.

In case you missed it, the NLC announced they will have a rotating schedule weeks 3 through 8, while having an established week 9 opponent that does not change. The week 9 opponents were chosen to ensure that a week 9 opponent was also not a potential first-round sectional opponent.

Week 9 pairings from 2022 through 2033 will be:

Warsaw (6A) vs. Northridge (4A)

Concord (5A) vs. Plymouth (4A)

Goshen (5A) vs. NorthWood (4A)

Mishawaka (5A) vs. Wawasee (4A)

The remaining rotating format was then set to ensure that no team would open NLC play with consecutive road or home games. Not knowing each teams' future non-conference schedule, this is a way to ensure that no team would have three consecutive road games in weeks 2 through 4.

The schedule will work in two-year increments starting in 2022 (home and home) then will shift.

Images attached show each school's week 3 - week 9 schedule for the 2022 - 2033 seasons.

NLC11.png

NLC22.png

Exciting times as football is right around the corner. 

Northridge is at Trine this week with scrimmages against Dekalb and New Haven.   Crown Point and Angola are also there. 

I saw Coach Curtis said Warsaw had 97 kids show up at Lucerne Park this morning!

I believe Concord scrimmages Laporte this week and Adams/Marian at Plymouth in a couple of weeks. 

Curious about what are other NLC members up to and how are numbers looking this year for NLC Freshman teams?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 9:34 PM, NRRaider2001 said:

Curious about what are other NLC members up to and how are numbers looking this year for NLC Freshman teams?

So far I've been told Plymouth and Goshen will not have freshman teams this year, and Northwood is having to play a lot of underclassmen up to jv/ varsity this year. 

If anyone else has heard any news on the NLC Freshman front, I'd be interested in hearing numbers for sure, we will be looking to pick up a couple of teams to replace at least those 2.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, swordfish said:

Sorry to see him leave.  He did alot for the program at NR.  I sincerely hope all is well with him and the family.  I posted the same letter earlier in the IFCA thread with Coach Nowlin.  Harms will have his hands full replacing him, but the school should be able to find a worthy replacement with the recently upgraded facilities that are just incredible.  (That hardly anyone was able to experience this season due to Covid)

Hey Swordfish i used to talk to you all time i went by NLC tiger fan way back when we used to talk to each other, now i go by WCHS Tiger Fan hope to get to talk to you again Cya 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Warsaw had their media day with WANE out of Fort Wayne.   Look for them to have another very successful season. 

https://youtu.be/PiB793uE1Q0

https://www.wfft.com/templates/AMP?contentID=574932971&__twitter_impression=true

WARSAW, Ind. (WFFT) - The Warsaw Tigers kick off our 2021 FOX 55 Countdown to Kickoff as we get set for the 2021 Indiana High School football season.

The Tigers went 8-3 in year three under Bart Curtis, winning the Northern Lakes Conference championship for the first time since 2001, and appeared in their second straight sectional championship game where they lost to Homestead 30-22.

RELATED: 2021 Countdown to Kickoff: Wawasee Warriors

In three seasons under Curtis, the Tigers are 24-9 with a conference and sectional championship.

They graduate a good chunk of their production on offense, including their starting quarterback, tailback and fullback, but make no mistake, this team plans to keep on winning. 

Warsaw will open their season Aug. 20 at home against Dublin Coffman (OH) at 7:30 p.m.

https://www.wfft.com/content/sports/2021-Countdown-to-Kickoff-Wawasee-Warriors-574933021.html

WAWASEE, Ind. (WFFT) - Jon Reutebuch's Wawasee Warriors close out our coverage of the Northern Lakes Conference in this year's FOX 55 Countdown to Kickoff.

It's been tough going for the Warriors as of late.

Wawasee+Football+2021+Preview.jpg

They finished just 3-7 in 2020, and haven't had a .500 or better season since 2013 when they went 5-5.

RELATED: 2021 Countdown to Kickoff: Warsaw Tigers

However, in the first two years under Reutebuch, Wawasee has seen their win total increase each year.

And they say they've adopted the mantra "the time is now" as they look to take the next step forward in 2021.

Wawasee will open its season at home against Tippecanoe Valley on Aug. 20 at 7 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I keep reading stories on here about the NLC schools dwindling in numbers for football, thought I'd share a picture from last night at Northridge. 

300+ k-12 kids in our program showed up in force, and I know of a couple dozen off the top of my head that couldn't make it out last night.   Some serious enthusiasm for football in Middlebury. 

FB_IMG_1628296127115.jpg

• Like 3

Well who knows how many NLCers we'll get this year on the forum - but here we are ready for Week 1

Concord at Elkhart: I think this could/should be a close game. Elkhart is probably the pick to win the NIC big division this year, but have some areas to fill from last year's Sectional Championship team. I think Concord has some good playmakers and I think they are in the conversation with Warsaw and Mishawaka as to who will win the conference this year. I will go with Elkhart by 6

Dublin Coffman (OH) at Warsaw: I love that the Tigers are stepping it up in the scheduling department... but man oh man this is a STEP UP. Dublin Coffman plays in what I would equivalate to the MIC conference in the largest division of Ohio football. They consistently have NCAA D1 signees, and in northern Indiana, the name most recognizable for you all would be Brady Quinn. I will say - it is interesting that this game was agreed to as a 1-year deal and I heard it was made with Coffman's previous coach. That coach (Mark Crabtree) ended up retiring in January of this year, after the agreement was made. So at the very least - the Tigers have a chance in the sense that it is a new coaching staff for the Shamrocks. However, I still think Coffman will just be the more talented team. Dublin Coffman by 14

East Noble at Plymouth: The Knights have had an impressive 3-year run, and each of those past 3 seasons has started with a win over the Rockies. Plymouth got bit by the Covid bug last year with their last 3 games of the regular season being cancelled enroute to possibly the worst regular season in Coach Barron's tenure. I believe the Rockies will be a little better this year, but not in the fist week. East Noble by 17

Goshen at Fairfield: A good old-fashioned backyard contest to start the season. Will be interesting to see how the Redhawks perform. Goshen has only won 3 games the past 3 seasons, and 2 of those were against the Falcons. I firmly believe Fairfield would have beaten Goshen last year had they played, but that week 1 game was cancelled due to Covid. This year - I am not sure. Fairfield lost a number of key playmakers from last year's undefeated regular season team. This should be a good game, and one that Goshen NEEDS to win. I will go with Goshen by 7

Jimtown at NorthWood: Another local favorite that was cancelled last year. Jimtown had a solid first season under Coach Stoner, while NorthWood had a very up and down .500 season. I think this will be a good measuring stick game for both of these programs. The Panthers are riding a 7 game winning streak in the series... I think the Jimmies break that on Friday. Jimtown by 7

Mishawaka at Marian: Yet another local rivalry game to start the season. The Cavemen are my preseason pick to win the NLC this year behind their stud QB. He will be a PROBLEM for NLC defenses this season. Last year, Marian won for the first time over Mishawaka since the 2011 season in a barnburner of a game on their way to a second consecutive semistate appearance in class 3A. The only two teams to beat the Knights the last two years are Mishawaka and Chatard. I think the Cavemen win this one. Mishawaka by 2

Northridge at Adams: This has been a good week 1 matchup the last 10 years.  The Eagles started last year 3-0 against inferior opponents before finishing 1-6. The Raiders welcome a new head coach in 8 seasons after the retirement of Coach Wogomon and without a doubt their best era of football in school history. Can Coach Eppley continue to maintain and progress the program moving forward? A win in week 1 would be a good start. I think the Raiders are right there as a bit of a "darkhorse" behind Mishawaka, Warsaw and Concord this season in the NLC race. They could certainly end up on top of the conference. Northridge by 14

Tippecanoe Valley at Wawasee: A Kosciusko County matchup between teams that have no met a single time in the last 35 years! I think the two teams would benefit from keeping this one on the schedule moving forward. The Vikings really got it going in the middle of their season last year, while the Warriors started out hot before getting into NLC play. I would love to see Wawasee take another step forward in their 3rd season under Coach Reutebuch after winning 2 games his first seasons and 3 last year. Getting Tippecanoe Valley at home, I'll give them the nod here. Wawasee by 3

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Well who knows how many NLCers we'll get this year on the forum - but here we are ready for Week 1

Concord at Elkhart: I think this could/should be a close game. Elkhart is probably the pick to win the NIC big division this year, but have some areas to fill from last year's Sectional Championship team. I think Concord has some good playmakers and I think they are in the conversation with Warsaw and Mishawaka as to who will win the conference this year. I will go with Elkhart by 6

Dublin Coffman (OH) at Warsaw: I love that the Tigers are stepping it up in the scheduling department... but man oh man this is a STEP UP. Dublin Coffman plays in what I would equivalate to the MIC conference in the largest division of Ohio football. They consistently have NCAA D1 signees, and in northern Indiana, the name most recognizable for you all would be Brady Quinn. I will say - it is interesting that this game was agreed to as a 1-year deal and I heard it was made with Coffman's previous coach. That coach (Mark Crabtree) ended up retiring in January of this year, after the agreement was made. So at the very least - the Tigers have a chance in the sense that it is a new coaching staff for the Shamrocks. However, I still think Coffman will just be the more talented team. Dublin Coffman by 14

East Noble at Plymouth: The Knights have had an impressive 3-year run, and each of those past 3 seasons has started with a win over the Rockies. Plymouth got bit by the Covid bug last year with their last 3 games of the regular season being cancelled enroute to possibly the worst regular season in Coach Barron's tenure. I believe the Rockies will be a little better this year, but not in the fist week. East Noble by 17

Goshen at Fairfield: A good old-fashioned backyard contest to start the season. Will be interesting to see how the Redhawks perform. Goshen has only won 3 games the past 3 seasons, and 2 of those were against the Falcons. I firmly believe Fairfield would have beaten Goshen last year had they played, but that week 1 game was cancelled due to Covid. This year - I am not sure. Fairfield lost a number of key playmakers from last year's undefeated regular season team. This should be a good game, and one that Goshen NEEDS to win. I will go with Goshen by 7

Jimtown at NorthWood: Another local favorite that was cancelled last year. Jimtown had a solid first season under Coach Stoner, while NorthWood had a very up and down .500 season. I think this will be a good measuring stick game for both of these programs. The Panthers are riding a 7 game winning streak in the series... I think the Jimmies break that on Friday. Jimtown by 7

Mishawaka at Marian: Yet another local rivalry game to start the season. The Cavemen are my preseason pick to win the NLC this year behind their stud QB. He will be a PROBLEM for NLC defenses this season. Last year, Marian won for the first time over Mishawaka since the 2011 season in a barnburner of a game on their way to a second consecutive semistate appearance in class 3A. The only two teams to beat the Knights the last two years are Mishawaka and Chatard. I think the Cavemen win this one. Mishawaka by 2

Northridge at Adams: This has been a good week 1 matchup the last 10 years.  The Eagles started last year 3-0 against inferior opponents before finishing 1-6. The Raiders welcome a new head coach in 8 seasons after the retirement of Coach Wogomon and without a doubt their best era of football in school history. Can Coach Eppley continue to maintain and progress the program moving forward? A win in week 1 would be a good start. I think the Raiders are right there as a bit of a "darkhorse" behind Mishawaka, Warsaw and Concord this season in the NLC race. They could certainly end up on top of the conference. Northridge by 14

Tippecanoe Valley at Wawasee: A Kosciusko County matchup between teams that have no met a single time in the last 35 years! I think the two teams would benefit from keeping this one on the schedule moving forward. Th

Northridge at Adams: This has been a good week 1 matchup the last 10 years.  The Eagles started last year 3-0 against inferior opponents before finishing 1-6. The Raiders welcome a new head coach in 8 seasons after the retirement of Coach Wogomon and without a doubt their best era of football in school history. Can Coach Eppley continue to maintain and progress the program moving forward? A win in week 1 would be a good start. I think the Raiders are right there as a bit of a "darkhorse" behind Mishawaka, Warsaw and Concord this season in the NLC race. They could certainly end up on top of the conference. Northridge by 14

Tippecanoe Valley at Wawasee: A Kosciusko County matchup between teams that have no met a single time in the last 35 years! I think the two teams would benefit from keeping this one on the schedule moving forward. The Vikings really got it going in the middle of their season last year, while the Warriors started out hot before getting into NLC play. I would love to see Wawasee take another step forward in their 3rd season under Coach Reutebuch after winning 2 games his first seasons and 3 last year. Getting Tippecanoe Valley at home, I'll give them the nod here. Wawasee by 3

e Vikings really got it going in the middle of their season last year, while the Warriors started out hot before getting into NLC play. I would love to see Wawasee take another step forward in their 3rd season under Coach Reutebuch after winning 2 games his first seasons and 3 last year. Getting Tippecanoe Valley at home, I'll give them the nod here. Wawasee by 3

Good stuff as always, I'll try to leave all of my predictions tomorrow.  Here's a couple of thoughts. 

I'm not as sold on Concord just yet but obviously could be wrong.  They should have a chance week 1 with arguably Elkharts 2 best players out for significant time if not the season. 

I think Plymouth knocks Goshen/ Wawasee off this year as the worst record in the NLC.

I think early favorites to win the conference should be Mishawaka/ Warsaw but I think Northridge may surprise a few people under our new guy this year. 

11 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I think early favorites to win the conference should be Mishawaka/ Warsaw but I think Northridge may surprise a few people under our new guy this year. 

Yeah I truly believe it's Mishawaka .... THEN any one of Warsaw, Northridge and Concord as that group right behind them that could also win the conference depending how things go.

ANY OTHER NLCers OUT HERE who can give some insight into how their programs are looking? Have not heard a thing about many of the other schools heading into this week.

Just to add some more stuff to the thread - teams ranked/receiving votes in polls:

6A
Warsaw (RV - 14th AP / RV - 16th Coaches)

5A:
Mishawaka (RV - 11th AP / Ranked - 10th Coaches)
Concord (RV - 15th AP / RV - 14th Coaches)

4A:
Northridge (RV - 13th AP only)
NorthWood (RV - 22nd AP only)

Without a doubt the top 5 teams in the conference this year. If all could win Week 1 that would be a huge boost not only for each of these programs, but the NLC as a whole!

• Like 1

Elkhart had an incredible first year post merger last year, but lost 18ish of those starters from a year ago, plus arguably their top 2 skill players this season.  Seems to be a lot of hype around Concord as they have some studs of their own, and return much of last year's team.  Coach Koehler battled some major health issues this off season and the team really seems to have bonded well.  Should be a really good game and tell us just how good Concord is going to be.   Elkhart by 3

Dublin Coffman (OH) at Warsaw: Great job by Coach Curtis by strengthening the Tigers schedule up, I really don't know much about DC other than they are a perennial powerhouse and went 8-1 last year with their 1 loss by only 3 points.  Even if the Tigers come up short here, I think they're easily a top 3 NLC team this year and should have another great season.    Dublin Coffman by 20

East Noble at Plymouth:  hearing that Plymouth will struggle this year, East Noble is always a tough program and along with Leo, should be favored to win the NE8 this season.   East Noble by 30

Goshen at Fairfield: I think  Goshen struggles again this year, but should be a little better.  Coach Thacker has things rolling on the south side of town after an NECC Big School title and undefeated regular season.  Goshen has 1 win each of the last 3 seasons and questions at qb this year, but I look for it to be a great game.   Falcons by 3

Jimtown at NorthWood:  Northwood went 4-4 last season and is always a competitor, but I don't see them at the top of the conference this year.  Jimtown should be pretty decent and I think it will be close throughout. 

Jimtown by 3

Mishawaka at Marian:  should be another great rivalry game, but I think Mishawaka will be a tough out this year.  With Fisher at qb, I'd say they're favorites to win the NLC this year, but a lot can change in a season. Marian is always a tough team so I think it will be another battle.   Cavemen by 6

Northridge at Adams:  I've been hearing a lot of hype about Adams huge o-line and their great passing game, also in the NIC thread a lot of people seem pretty excited about the Eagles this year.  I heard they worked Plymouth at the jamboree pretty easily.  Coach Eppley has picked up right where Wogomon left off and there is a lot of excitement in Middlebury. We lost some key guys last year, but have some guys that will be doing great things this year.  Lost our top 3-4 running backs and qb, but I like where we're headed.  Northridge by 10

Tippecanoe Valley at Wawasee:   Don't know much about either team this year, but have heard that Wawasee is trending in the right direction.  They have gone 5-15 in their last 2 seasons but should be better this year under year 3 of good coaching.   Wawasee by 7

• Like 1

More of an NIC guy but Ive seen some NLC scrimmages and have a little insight so Ill play this week.

Concord at Elkhart: The Lions are beat up and have had some horrific luck the past month.  They had 8 starters  who didn't play in their scrimmage vs Northridge and lost one of the few returning starters and top WR in the entire state for an extended period of time in it.  Of those, 4 are back this week. but it still leaves them without their 3 best players (RB, WR and 2 way lineman).  All of that would typically cripple a team, and while it certainly wont be the Lion team that id have expected to be even better than last year's on offense, they still will be one of the areas top scoring offenses.   Concord is implementing a new offense and that coupled with their reliance on the pass makes me think the team speed of the Lions on defense causes some serious problems (turnovers).  Concord is a real good matchup for the lions defense as they are elite in the backend.  I see a relatively sloppy first half with some big plays for both teams (something like 21-14 Lions at half) with the Lions pulling away based on their having (compared to Concord) more depth for a 42-21 win.

Dublin Coffman (OH) at Warsaw: This one is going to be real interesting.  I can see Coach Curtis holding the ball and keeping Warsaw in it.  Ill go 35-27 with Dublin Coffman getting a big scare from the Tigers.

East Noble at Plymouth: EN has been on a good run and one of the great joys (and ultimate disappointments) of last year was watching them almost beat Penn.  Ive heard Plymouth hasnt looked great in scrimmages and it appears many here are not too high on them either.  42-17 East Noble victory

Goshen at Fairfield: I see Goshen making it happen as they have a SR class that has gone through a lot of losing.  That drive gets them a 14-10 win.

Jimtown at NorthWood: Don't know much here but Im going Northwood.  21-17.

Mishawaka at Marian: Im with everyone here in believing Mishawaka should be the favorite in the NLC.  I think the QB in that system is the best player in the area.  I think Marian will not be near the level of last year on offense.  I know Marian returns a lot on defense, but Im not sure that matters vs one of the most efficient offenses in the state.  I have seen Marian scrimmage and the offense didn't look great.  if you are going to beat Mishawaka you have to out score them.  Don't see that here.  Mishawaka 42-17

Northridge at Adams: I think this will be a great game and a barometer for both teams.  Adams is huge and has athletes and should have one of their best teams in years.  On paper this should be a run away.  Something tells me it wont be. I was very impressed with the effort and execution of Northridge in putting up a fight against Elkhart.  I think the Raiders play smart and disciplined and hold on.... 24-20 Raiders

Tippecanoe Valley at Wawasee: No Clue.  Pure guess is Tippy 21 Wawasee 20

• Like 2

Finally getting a chance to post some reactions:

Obviously - first in my mind is the Warsaw game. What an impressive win for the Tigers. After giving up a 65 yd TD run on the very first play of scrimmage, I thought "oh boy, here we go again" after having deja vu from last year that saw the Warsaw defense give up big play after big play. But after that, they settled down well on that side of the ball and had a number of times where they stopped Coffman once they were inside the 35 yard line. Obviously the 500+ yards of rushing was impressive for the Tigers, but I was extremely happy to see the defense play well.

Speaking of defense... the Raiders left off right where they have always been under Coach Wogoman with a stout unit on that side of the ball. I do not know much about Adams, but starting off the season with a shutout on the road is a good statement. Then there were some barn burners with NorthWood winning 7-6 and Concord losing 12-7. I am a little surprised with both of those scores. I especially thought the Elkhart/Concord game would be a little more high scoring. It will be interesting to see how long it potentially takes those two teams to get going offensively.

I expected Mishawaka to win the game against Marian and honestly was not very surprised by the final score. I think the Cavemen are the team to beat in the conference this year behind Fisher at QB. Obviously Marian lost a lot from a talented squad last season. Excited to see how they perform this week against Elkhart.

Good on Goshen beating little brother Fairfield down the road. The Falcons lost a ton of production from last year's team that went 9-1, so this win is not as impressive as I think some others might think. The Redhawks should never lose to Fairfield IMO.

Plymouth and Wawasee... not much to say here. Impressed that the Rockies at least were able to put up some points against East Noble. I think Tippy Valley will have a decent squad this year, but the Warriors losing 42-7 at home against the Vikings??? This week's game against West Noble might be their only chance to win a game this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Warsaw and Michigan City should be a good one. Anxious to see how this one goes this year

Good crew on this game. They’ll need to be. Some “strong personalities” on those coaching staffs. Life on the sidelines Friday night will be challenging.