Olympic Conference   Overall
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.
Carmel 5-0 1.000   9-1 0.900
Kokomo Haworth 4-1 0.800   7-3 0.700
Anderson Madison-Heights 2-3 0.400   7-3 0.700
Huntington North 2-3 0.400   6-4 0.600
Muncie North 1-4 0.200   3-7 0.300
Muncie South 1-4 0.200   1-9 0.100

1976..... The inaugural season for the Olympic Conference.  Only 2 schools remain from that conference.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Staxawax said:
Olympic Conference   Overall
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.
Carmel 5-0 1.000   9-1 0.900
Kokomo Haworth 4-1 0.800   7-3 0.700
Anderson Madison-Heights 2-3 0.400   7-3 0.700
Huntington North 2-3 0.400   6-4 0.600
Muncie North 1-4 0.200   3-7 0.300
Muncie South 1-4 0.200   1-9 0.100

1976..... The inaugural season for the Olympic Conference.  Only 2 schools remain from that conference.

Is this why Carmel always qualified for the playoffs?

18 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Dullaghan took over a Carmel program in 1973 that had went 7-13 the previous two years and had them in the State Championship Game in 1975. Took over BD in 1984 and had them in the Championship in 1987.

One school is a wealthy suburban school, and the other is one of the largest in Indiana. 

I’m not saying he was a bad coach, but I am saying his schedule helped Carmel make the playoffs. Writing a schedule is part of a coach’s duties.

29 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Dullaghan took over a Carmel program in 1973 that had went 7-13 the previous two years and had them in the State Championship Game in 1975. Took over BD in 1984 and had them in the Championship in 1987.

The guy can flat out coach.  LOVED playing against his BD teams from 93-95.

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

He is a great man and was a  great coach. I had the pleasure of listening to every one of his Home halftime "talks" during the 1973 season, and talked to him almost every day that year. I even cleaned his office every day.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

One school is a wealthy suburban school, and the other is one of the largest in Indiana. 

I’m not saying he was a bad coach, but I am saying his schedule helped Carmel make the playoffs. Writing a schedule is part of a coach’s duties.

Carmel enrollment for most, if not all of the Dullaghan years was <2,000.  Geez, can't he get some credit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

You might not be aware of this, but Carmel was a different place in 1973.

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

That's for sure. My dad was still working at Carmel Screw on Main Street. 

My aunt and uncle owned a farm on 146th Street just east of Gray Road. It's now where the Kingsley housing development is and the Grace Church is the other half. Anyway, we used to go up there and see them and there was nothing but farmland for miles. Now, south of 146th St. is Carmel. North is Noblesville. West of Gray Road is Westfield. It's really remarkable how that area has become so different in 50 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Carmel was trying to get in to a conference with similar enrollment. Through these times they never ever quit playing the Marion County bigs... North, Lawrence and Warren Central's.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

What’s your excuse for his success once he got in the playoffs? 

7 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

You might not be aware of this, but Carmel was a different place in 1973.

As late as the early 90’s, not uncommon for the guy on one end of the chain to be wearing a Ralph Lauren parka, and the guy on the other end would be wearing worn out Carhartt bibs. Most on this board haven’t been around long enough to know/remember there was mostly farmland north of about 82nd Street. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

That was, effectively, a requirement to make the playoffs. 

Ok, we get it. You think Dick Dullaghan was a product of where he coached. I'm sure that's why he earned those college coaching jobs with Jim Young at Purdue and at Army.

Ben Davis' best year prior to his arrival was an 11-1 run to the Final Four in 1977 and a 7-0-1 campaign in 1950. From 1937-1983, BD had 11 winning seasons...total. The Giants, as a program, didn't go over .500 until 1997. 

But, yes...it was all enrollment. 

Anyway, my original point as to why Carmel made the playoffs was not just because they were a wealthy suburb but because they had a great football coach has been made. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

You think Dick Dullaghan was a product of where he coached.

I do, yes. 

56 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Anyway, my original point as to why Carmel made the playoffs was not just because they were a wealthy suburb but because they had a great football coach has been made. 

... and they also packed their schedule with clods during the qualifier era. Dullaghan was smart to do it. I'd have done the same.