Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southport/Roncalli/Bloomington South Comments/News

Southport- What is going on there? Alum head coach leaves for Beech Grove? I guess even more concerning, I am showing they still haven't made a hire yet? Ouch, it's getting late!  

Roncall and Bloomington South- Noticed on John Harrell's site that Roncalli has an opening in Week 8.  Thought that was supposed to be Bloomington South, and find out that Bloomington South terminated the contract in the recent weeks.  Doing that 6 months ahead of time is a pretty low blow.  Especially with the Circle City Conference and Conference Indiana having their agreements to help fill each other's schedules.  Sure, B. South will owe Roncalli money, but that money (and then some) will be spent on an out of state trip for the only way they will get a game this late.  Why does Bloomington South even stay in Conference Indiana if they are going to do that?  Just a bad look in my opinion.  I also do not have a ton of information, but unless there is a really good reason to terminate that contract, that shows a serious lack of class.  

33 minutes ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

Roncall and Bloomington South- Noticed on John Harrell's site that Roncalli has an opening in Week 8.  Thought that was supposed to be Bloomington South, and find out that Bloomington South terminated the contract in the recent weeks.

You know what other school also has a non-conference opening in Week 8? BNL. BHSS could fill that after this year.

1 hour ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

Southport- What is going on there? Alum head coach leaves for Beech Grove? I guess even more concerning, I am showing they still haven't made a hire yet? Ouch, it's getting late!  

Roncall and Bloomington South- Noticed on John Harrell's site that Roncalli has an opening in Week 8.  Thought that was supposed to be Bloomington South, and find out that Bloomington South terminated the contract in the recent weeks.  Doing that 6 months ahead of time is a pretty low blow.  Especially with the Circle City Conference and Conference Indiana having their agreements to help fill each other's schedules.  Sure, B. South will owe Roncalli money, but that money (and then some) will be spent on an out of state trip for the only way they will get a game this late.  Why does Bloomington South even stay in Conference Indiana if they are going to do that?  Just a bad look in my opinion.  I also do not have a ton of information, but unless there is a really good reason to terminate that contract, that shows a serious lack of class.  

It’s not as if this is a first.  BS cancelled their last game of the season with Chatard abruptly this past season because of “COVID” reportedly.....after assuring them up until quite late in the week (on Friday, if I recall correctly) that there would be a game.  So far they have no cross conference CCC games scheduled for this Fall.  

Are the wheels coming off the whole Conference Indiana/Circle City Conference cross-conference schedule scheme because of one or two CI teams......or am I becoming DT?

5 hours ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

Beech Grove is getting some major updates to their facility. That made that job more attractive, I'm sure. Not meaning disrespect here, but there's not much of a path forward at Southport in 6A, IMO. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

South is wimping out.  Roncalli will open as the 3rd strongest team in the state being CG and Cathedral.   Panthers don't want to get beat up

10 hours ago, RetiredOfficial03 said:

Just another year in this recurring saga. This isn’t the first time BHSS has cancelled the contract. 

Gotta love this Morton schedule.  The Governor AD has some giant sack!

Look at this non con slate :

Lake Central

Portage

Cathedral

Elkhart

Bloomington South

Morton must be chomping at the bit to get back into action after virtually losing almost the entire 2020 season.

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Because they dropped Roncalli after the first year of a 4 year deal in 18. This was part of the CCC/CI crossover. 

So BHSS and Roncalli have played exactly one time in the regular season, and are probably not going to schedule each other again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, Lysander said:

It’s not as if this is a first.  BS cancelled their last game of the season with Chatard abruptly this past season because of “COVID” reportedly.....after assuring them up until quite late in the week (on Friday, if I recall correctly) that there would be a game.  So far they have no cross conference CCC games scheduled for this Fall.  

Are the wheels coming off the whole Conference Indiana/Circle City Conference cross-conference schedule scheme because of one or two CI teams......or am I becoming DT?

Sounds familiar with Southport.

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Great for Roncalli. I would imagine Rodenberg will be adding GCL South teams to his schedule whenever feasible.

Looks that way-nice pick up.  I think it says a lot about the direction they see themselves as going as well.  Been a long time since Roncalli has played an actual Cincy team if I recall correctly (though some might argue that East Central may qualify).

Roncalli is going to be an absolute beast this Fall.

I was shocked when Southport's coach left for Beech Grove.  He is a Southport alum, but I know he has his reasons.  Personally, I do not understand the move since Southport has a good base of athletes each year, they have nice facilities, and there play a good schedule.  Maybe they receive no support from administration as both Perry Meridian and Southport programs struggle with consistency.  Southport also has ZERO percent chance of ever winning a 6A Sectional title.

Beech Grove is investing in their facility but they are a LONG way from being competitive in 4A.  They also play in a conference with schools 2-3 classes below them.  They had three good athletes this season and all three are graduating.  Beech Grove does a fair amount of recruiting in other districts (not athletic recruiting).  I live in western Perry Township and I receive several pieces of BG student recruitment mail each year.  Maybe they can bring in some athletes.

I guess you leave Southport, with a zero percent chance of winning a 6A Sectional, and go to Beech Grove with a 1% chance of winning a 4A Sectional.  

1 hour ago, FCGriz said:

I was shocked when Southport's coach left for Beech Grove.  He is a Southport alum, but I know he has his reasons.  Personally, I do not understand the move since Southport has a good base of athletes each year, they have nice facilities, and there play a good schedule.  Maybe they receive no support from administration as both Perry Meridian and Southport programs struggle with consistency.  Southport also has ZERO percent chance of ever winning a 6A Sectional title.

Beech Grove is investing in their facility but they are a LONG way from being competitive in 4A.  They also play in a conference with schools 2-3 classes below them.  They had three good athletes this season and all three are graduating.  Beech Grove does a fair amount of recruiting in other districts (not athletic recruiting).  I live in western Perry Township and I receive several pieces of BG student recruitment mail each year.  Maybe they can bring in some athletes.

I guess you leave Southport, with a zero percent chance of winning a 6A Sectional, and go to Beech Grove with a 1% chance of winning a 4A Sectional.  

It will be an interesting sectional opportunity for BG if Roncalli moves up to 5A in two years like some predict.   It is a very weak sectional outside of Roncalli.

Of course some have speculated that Chatard will be in that sectional next year.   That would guarantee them winning it every year after Roncalli bumps and staying in 4A.

33 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

It will be an interesting sectional opportunity for BG if Roncalli moves up to 5A in two years like some predict.   It is a very weak sectional outside of Roncalli.

Of course some have speculated that Chatard will be in that sectional next year.   That would guarantee them winning it every year after Roncalli bumps and staying in 4A.

The powers that be will undoubtedly place Chatard and Roncalli in the same Sectional next year.  There can be only one (to coin a phrase) so it’s likely that either Chatard (a) moves back down into 3A in a couple of years, (b) remains or (c) moves up and Roncalli either (a) remains or (b) moves up.

Unfortunately, all things considered, I think the likeliest scenario is that in 2 years Chatard goes back to 3A and Roncalli moves up to 5A.   

Just a guess, though.

58 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Besides Roncalli, Beech Grove doesn't currently have the talent to compete with Lebanon or Western.