Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2021 NF Rules Change: Blocking Below the Waist in FBZ

Bobref

Question

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/blocking-below-the-waist-in-free-blocking-zone-addressed-in-high-school-football-rules?ArtId=470237

Blocking Below the Waist in Free-Blocking Zone Addressed in High School Football Rules

By NFHS on February 05, 2021 nfhs news Print

The rule regarding blocking below the waist in the free-blocking zone in high school football has been revised for the upcoming 2021 season.  

This rule change was recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee at its January 10-12 meeting, which was held virtually this year. This change to the 2021 NFHS Football Rules Book was subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.  

As a result of numerous interpretations of current language regarding blocking below the waist in the free-blocking zone, the committee approved another condition in Rule 2-17-2 that must be met for a legal block below the waist in the free-blocking zone, which is a rectangular area extending laterally 4 yards either side of the spot of the snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage.  

The new requirement (2-17-2c) is that the block must be an immediate, initial action following the snap. Under the current rule, an offensive lineman can delay and then block below the waist if the ball is still in the zone. In the committee’s ongoing quest to minimize risk in high school football, the change was approved to require the block to be immediate.  

“This change makes it easier for game officials to judge the legality of blocks below the waist and minimizes risk of injury for participants,” said Bob Colgate, NFHS director of sports and sports medicine and liaison to the Football Rules Committee. “This change lets game officials observe the block and make a call without having to determine where the ball is and what formation the offense lined up in.”  

Blocking in the back continues to be legal in the free-blocking zone by offensive linemen who are on the line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap, against defensive players who are in the zone at the snap and the contact is in the zone.  

The committee noted there has been no criticism of the current rules governing blocks in the back as they are delayed blocks by nature, above the waist and considered to be a safe and necessary legal block.     

“I believe this rule change will help make the interpretation of blocking below the waist consistent across the country starting next football season,” said Richard McWhirter, chair of the NFHS Football Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.  

The Football Rules Committee is composed of one representative from each of the NFHS member state associations that use NFHS playing rules, along with representatives from the NFHS Coaches Association, NFHS Officials Association and NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.  

A complete listing of the football rules changes will be available on the NFHS website at www.nfhs.org. Click on “Activities & Sports” at the top of the home page and select “Football.”  

According to the most recent NFHS High School Athletics Participation Survey, 11-player football is the most popular high school sport for boys with 1,006,013 participants in 14,247 schools nationwide. In addition, there were 31,221 boys who participated in 6-, 8- and 9-player football, along with 2,604 girls in all four versions of the game for a grand total of 1,039,828.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

On 2/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

Has this been an issue? 

The block below the waist is called very differently across the country. Many other states have rules interpreters that give additional guidance on this to make it more consistent in their state. Some examples include:

• If QB is in shot gun can only block low in FBZ if starting in a 3-point stance
  • If QB is in shot gun can only block low in FBA if defender is lined up head up or in an adjacent gap
  • If QB is in shot gun can't low block at all

Every year there are rules proposals to match those interpretations or adjust the definition of the FBZ or eliminate it altogether. What this change addresses is to remove the need to know if the ball is still in the FBZ when the block occurs when the QB takes the snap under center. There usually is very little time the ball stays in the FBZ as the QB drops back toward the back. He only has to go back about 2 yards from where he starts behind center to leave the FBZ. This makes it easier to be consistent with whatever interpretation your state uses and makes it the same regardless of under center or shot gun. No more delays before cutting allowed. I've had situations where there was a slight delay, but I couldn't remember if the QB was under center or in shot gun on that play.

2 questions for resident IHSAA officials:

1. Am I reading this correctly that ALL low blocks must occur immediately at the snap....regardless of the QB's presnap locaiton (UC or Shotgun)?

2. Can the OL start in a 2pt stance and cut?

43 minutes ago, US31 said:

2 questions for resident IHSAA officials:

1. Am I reading this correctly that ALL low blocks must occur immediately at the snap....regardless of the QB's presnap locaiton (UC or Shotgun)?

2. Can the OL start in a 2pt stance and cut?

The new requirement (2-17-2c) is that the block must be an immediate, initial action following the snap. Under the current rule, an offensive lineman can delay and then block below the waist if the ball is still in the zone. So, the short answer to question #1 is yes.

As to #2, we have not yet received any official guidance as to the interpretation of the rule. If I had to guess, the answer would be that stance is not going to be a factor that is considered. Focus is on the immediacy of the block. I say that because the reason for the “immediate” exception to the general rule prohibiting low blocking is that the rules committee feels that if the block is immediately at the snap, the forces generated by the players at that point are sufficiently low that the risk of serious injury is minimized. If that’s the case, I see no reason why stance would be considered.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Bobref said:

As to #2, we have not yet received any official guidance as to the interpretation of the rule. If I had to guess, the answer would be that stance is not going to be a factor that is considered. Focus is on the immediacy of the block. I say that because the reason for the “immediate” exception to the general rule prohibiting low blocking is that the rules committee feels that if the block is immediately at the snap, the forces generated by the players at that point are sufficiently low that the risk of serious injury is minimized. If that’s the case, I see no reason why stance would be considered.

From what I understand this is true. Some states have expanded their interpretation to define "immediately" as requiring the blocker be in a 3 or 4-point stance at the snap. Indiana generally doesn't expand on what the rule says so as long as it's immediate it won't matter if they are in a 2-point stance.