Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OFFICIAL GID Super Bowl 55 Thread

temptation

21 minutes ago, DE said:

Remember this hit?

If Brady, who is the GOAT, got hit like this yesterday, Christoper Wray and his fellow keystone cops, would open a 12 month long investigation for attempted murder.

I do not think I said that and if I implied it, my apologies.

No, I was simply asking.  If you gave Brady the likes of Rice and Taylor and gave Montana guys like Deion Branch, Julian Edelman etc how would their careers wound up?

Brady did have Moss for a year, Mike Evans is possibly a HOF’er but Rice is probably the GOAT at WR.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

No, I was simply asking.  If you gave Brady the likes of Rice and Taylor and gave Montana guys like Deion Branch, Julian Edelman etc how would their careers wound up?

Brady did have Moss for a year, Mike Evans is possibly a HOF’er but Rice is probably the GOAT at WR.

Man.....HOF'er is tossed around loosely these days.

9 hours ago, DE said:

Man.....HOF'er is tossed around loosely these days.

Seven straight seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving to start his career.  First player in league history to pull that off.

I’d say he is on his way.

And you forgot to answer the question...

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

Seven straight seasons with at least 1,000 yards receiving to start his career.  First player in league history to pull that off.

He is the beneficiary of the sea change that has occurred in the last decade, converting the NFL to a “pass first” league. Some enterprising math student ought to come up with a formula that converts all passing stats to “2010 equivalents,” sort of like economists do with “constant dollars.” In fact, the best wide receiver I ever saw was Jerry Rice. But the 2nd best was someone most people reading this know nothing about (even though he’s in the HOF) — Paul Warfield. He played on Cleveland when they had a guy named Jim Brown running the ball, so they were lucky to throw it 20 times. Evans is a good receiver. But he couldn’t carry Paul Warfield’s jock. Different times give numbers different meanings in context.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

What question?

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I stand by my assessment that the term HOF'er is tossed around way too liberally nowadays.

42 minutes ago, DE said:

Similar.  I really do not know what you are getting at....

Brady is the GOAT.

Montana is 2nd IMHO.

Really?  That’s an interesting take.  I agree with where you rank them but what Tom has done with a lack of great playmakers/HOF’ers (especially at the WR position) makes his accomplishments even more impressive.

Pair Tom with this generation’s Jerry Rice for his career...does he have 12/13 Super Bowl appearances?

He had Moss for one year and we saw what he did...

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Really?  That’s an interesting take.  I agree with where you rank them but what Tom has done with a lack of great playmakers/HOF’ers (especially at the WR position) makes his accomplishments even more impressive.

Pair Tom with this generation’s Jerry Rice for his career...does he have 12/13 Super Bowl appearances?

He had Moss for one year and we saw what he did...

Yes.

Edited by DE

13 hours ago, Bobref said:

He is the beneficiary of the sea change that has occurred in the last decade, converting the NFL to a “pass first” league. Some enterprising math student ought to come up with a formula that converts all passing stats to “2010 equivalents,” sort of like economists do with “constant dollars.” In fact, the best wide receiver I ever saw was Jerry Rice. But the 2nd best was someone most people reading this know nothing about (even though he’s in the HOF) — Paul Warfield. He played on Cleveland when they had a guy named Jim Brown running the ball, so they were lucky to throw it 20 times. Evans is a good receiver. But he couldn’t carry Paul Warfield’s jock. Different times give numbers different meanings in context.

What do you think about Frank Gore?

I’m in agreement with the numbers not being the same wonder how the hall will treat Eli, Matt Ryan, Phillip rivers and Matt Stanford.

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

What do you think about Frank Gore?

I’m in agreement with the numbers not being the same wonder how the hall will treat Eli, Matt Ryan, Phillip rivers and Matt Stanford.

yes

yes

no

maybe????????

mo

On 2/8/2021 at 9:59 AM, DE said:

Future HOF?  Man do people toss that phrase around loosely these days.  

I stand by my assessment as an impartial observer and a former OL coach.  He is 1 man.  Chip.  Put a TE.  Tackle over.  Put an H-Back.  Multiple ways to do it.  

Entire game.

Came across this interview with Deion Sander and Dan Patrick discussing HOF

https://youtu.be/92T_3ITjJgs

HOF discussions are very rarely (maybe once that I can think of...Mariano Rivera) unanimous.

One recent inductee that I still am not sold on is Brain Urlacher.  He is just the first to come to mind.  I am sure there are more.  Anyone else have a name/names that are in the HOF that you think maybe shouldn't be?

Prime Time is SPOT ON about Bonds and Clemens, too.

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I head scratched Calvin Johnson.....

Deion is NOT wrong.... 

This could be entertaining.  First of all, I didn't even know he was in, though I thought he deserved to be in.  But I completely see your point.

Was he the 1st, HUGE, ultra athletic WR?  Possibly leading to the newer TE type guys flexed as WR's....Kelce, Graham (in his prime),etc.?

22 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I head scratched Calvin Johnson.....

Deion is NOT wrong.... 

He rarely was, except when he tried to tackle.  😉