Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  46 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Governor: Transgender athletes will 'destroy women's sports'

Muda69

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-judiciary-75aecf3b586e90f590944a54094d394a

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Republican Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee on Wednesday advocated for banning transgender girls from playing on middle and high school sports teams, saying transgender athletes will “destroy women’s sports.”

“I do believe that transgenders participating in women’s sports will destroy women’s sports,” Lee, who is up for reelection next year, told reporters. “It will ruin the opportunity for girls to earn scholarships. It will put a glass ceiling back over women that hasn’t been there in some time. I think it’s bad for women and for women’s sports.”

Lee’s comments come as Tennessee Republicans began advancing a proposal this week requiring student athletes to prove that the student’s sex matches the student’s “original” birth certificate in order to participate in public school sports. If a birth certificate is unavailable, then the parents must provide another form of evidence “indicating the student’s sex at the time of birth.”

Tennessee is one of a dozen states with lawmakers backing restrictions on athletics or gender-confirming health care for trans minors this year.

Lawmakers debated a similar bill last year, where the proposal cleared the Tennessee House chamber, but it ultimately stalled in the Senate.

It’s unclear how many transgender students are participating in public school sports in Tennessee.

“What a hurtful thing for a leader to say. There have been zero incidents of this being an issue,” tweeted Democratic Sen. Heidi Campbell. “This is just hate legislation, and to double down with an insult to our LGBTQ community is unnecessary.”

Backers of the bill backers argue that transgender girls, because they were born male, are naturally stronger, faster and bigger than those born female and therefor have an unfair advantage in sports.

Opponents counter that such proposals violate Title IX of federal education law prohibiting sex discrimination, as well as rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court and 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Furthermore, others point to an executive order signed by Democratic President Joe Biden that prohibited discrimination based on gender identity in school sports and elsewhere.

“I will say, that particular executive order is a tremendous overreach of the federal government into the states,” Lee said Wednesday.

Currently, a similar 2020 Idaho law has been blocked by a federal judge as a lawsuit makes it way in court.

Thoughts about this and what it will eventually mean for Indiana youth athletics?

30 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-judiciary-75aecf3b586e90f590944a54094d394a

Thoughts about this and what it will eventually mean for Indiana youth athletics?

I think it could lead to a lot of problems in women's sports. To me this takes Title IX and just spits in the face of all those who worked hard to get equal footing for women's sports. In a hypothetical what stops Danny from becoming Danielle if they don't make the boys teams?  Also would it be discrimination to cut a transgender athlete? It is a really slippery slope.

• Like 2
  • Kill me now 1

Ok...I’ll bite (before this is quickly kicked over to the OOB).  

I can’t see Indiana ever permitting transgenders in women’s Jr. High and High school sports unless it is forced by the Feds.  Even if that were the case, I think common sense (and science) will prevail in the Supreme Court in the end.

Most likely, the result will be separate sports set up for Transgenders while Men and Women’s sports will go on.  Any other solution will ultimately destroy Women’s sports at every level.

There is a question as to what different collegiate sports will ultimately be dropped as colleges have to further split limited resources to now fund Men’s, Women’s, Transgender Women and Transgender Men.

Do I personally find all of this ridiculous? Yes, but I think that is how it eventually works out. 

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan said:

I think it could lead to a lot of problems in women's sports. To me this takes Title IX and just spits in the face of all those who worked hard to get equal footing for women's sports. In a hypothetical what stops Danny from becoming Danielle if they don't make the boys teams?  Also would it be discrimination to cut a transgender athlete? It is a really slippery slope.

Agree on all points.

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan said:

Hey.  Leave me out of it.  😉

#TrustTheScienceRemember

#ButOnlyWhenItFitsYourNarrative

Edited by DE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I can’t see Indiana ever permitting transgenders in women’s Jr. High and High school sports unless it is forced by the Feds.  Even if that were the case, I think common sense (and science) will prevail in the Supreme Court in the end.

Most likely, the result will be separate sports set up for Transgenders while Men and Women’s sports will go on.  Any other solution will ultimately destroy Women’s sports at every level.

There is a question as to what different collegiate sports will ultimately be dropped as colleges have to further split limited resources to now fund Men’s, Women’s, Transgender Women and Transgender Men.

Do I personally find all of this ridiculous? Yes, but I think that is how it eventually works out. 

No sports will be cut.  Science says there are only 2 genders no matter what you, me or the next person thinks.

Its horrific that we are even having this discusion.  

What personal satisfaction can a naturally born male have over dominating female competition , in any sport, under any circumstances.?

Its appaling 

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Its horrific that we are even having this discusion.  

What personal satisfaction can a naturally born male have over dominating female competition , in any sport, under any circumstances.?

Its appaling 

I used to think that what then I realized I can’t emphasize with them so I have no opinion 

1 minute ago, Whiting89 said:

I used to think that what then I realized I can’t emphasize with them so I have no opinion 

You hitting the early bird drink specials at Caesar's Palace already?  😉

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

IHSAA BYLAW

9-10 Gender Participation Component Waiver

Interscholastic participation on a Single Gender Athletic Team is limited to a student whose Birth Gender matches the gender of the Single Gender Athletic Team. However, a student with a non-conforming gender may obtain a Waiver of the gender component, and participate as a Transgender student in interscholastic competition as a member of a Single Gender Athletic Team, through the Waiver Process outlined in the IHSAA Gender Policy.

2 hours ago, sr1 said:

IHSAA BYLAW

9-10 Gender Participation Component Waiver

Interscholastic participation on a Single Gender Athletic Team is limited to a student whose Birth Gender matches the gender of the Single Gender Athletic Team. However, a student with a non-conforming gender may obtain a Waiver of the gender component, and participate as a Transgender student in interscholastic competition as a member of a Single Gender Athletic Team, through the Waiver Process outlined in the IHSAA Gender Policy.

Has it happened yet?  Curious. 

We have only scratched the surface of this issue. There is little understanding by the public at large about what drives transgender issues. The idea that someone, especially a child, would go through all this entails just so at some point he/she can win a sectional championship in track is ridiculous. The transgender movement is going to spark a lot of debate and controversy in our society. Understanding will lag behind — it always does. But this is so much more than a sports issue. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When God made man and woman, he made them different and he did not say if you don't like who you are you can choose which sex you wish to be.  This entire transgender issue is not only immoral it is sickening.  Those little boys who truly feel the need to compete as females are shallow and selfish and they should not be allowed to compete against girls, PERIOD!  It's a shame that we have allowed our liberal government to rule who should be allowed to participate in which sports or your funds will be cut off.  Why don't those idiot politicians worry about running the country and not ruining athletics.

Coach Rippy Morales

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

28 minutes ago, CoachRippy said:

When God made man and woman, he made them different and he did not say if you don't like who you are you can choose which sex you wish to be.  This entire transgender issue is not only immoral it is sickening.  Those little boys who truly feel the need to compete as females are shallow and selfish and they should not be allowed to compete against girls, PERIOD!  It's a shame that we have allowed our liberal government to rule who should be allowed to participate in which sports or your funds will be cut off.  Why don't those idiot politicians worry about running the country and not ruining athletics.

Coach Rippy Morales

Thank you for your convictions Coach.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

We have only scratched the surface of this issue. There is little understanding by the public at large about what drives transgender issues. The idea that someone, especially a child, would go through all this entails just so at some point he/she can win a sectional championship in track is ridiculous. The transgender movement is going to spark a lot of debate and controversy in our society. Understanding will lag behind — it always does. But this is so much more than a sports issue. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree with that statement completely, but where I have concern is the idea of women's equality in sports. For the longest time sports has been dominated by men and even if they are transitioning those who are transgender still hold a physical advantage over women. This is bigger then a sports, but in terms of on this thread and what we are posting about the question is how this girls sports will deal with Transgender athletes. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Let's bring it back to football for a moment.

A female is allowed to play football.

A female to male trans can't play football

A male to female trans can't play football

Is this correct?

This question still show the inequality in sports. Take the question that you just asked and make it any girls sports. You will get an astounding 100% NO and with merit because how would this be fair to young women athletes? To answer your question the PC answer is yes they can all play no matter their gender, but if that is the case what is stopping our teenage boys from playing girls sports without being transgender?