Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort Wayne North Side and South Side...

14 minutes ago, CoachRippy said:

Please forgive my impatience but what seems to be the issue of hiring a qualified candidate to get both of these programs up and running?  The kids at both of these schools deserve better!

There are so many factors that impact these programs, it is too easy to say a coach was not qualified. It is also unfair to connect the two programs. Mike Brevard did a great job at North Side. He moved on to St. Francis, something he had wanted to do; so it's hard to find fault there. If you are talking about the new hire, then it really is unfair to make the claim. I think Norfleet was a good coach as well. He sure had his kids ready to play us this year. Looking at the record as the sole measure of success in a program is not enough in programs like these; there are other programs in the area that are in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, CoachRippy said:

Please forgive my impatience but what seems to be the issue of hiring a qualified candidate to get both of these programs up and running?  The kids at both of these schools deserve better!

An average free and reduced lunch of 70 percent is not helping matters.

I’ll say it again, unless you have a significant enrollment advantage, the uphill climb that this data presents is damn hard.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

These two schools will always be at a big competitive disadvantage against the big SAC publics (Snider/Homestead/Carroll/Northrup) and the privates (Concordia/Luers/Dwenger)  They should both leave the SAC and look for a better conference fit where they can be more competitive and have some consistent success.  

Perhaps a swap between the Northeast 8 and th SAC.  East Noble and Huntington North come to the SAC and FW South and North go to the NE8.  The move would be good for both conferences

26 minutes ago, DT said:

These two schools will always be at a big competitive disadvantage against the big SAC publics (Snider/Homestead/Carroll/Northrup) and the privates (Concordia/Luers/Dwenger)  They should both leave the SAC and look for a better conference fit where they can be more competitive and have some consistent success.  

Perhaps a swap between the Northeast 8 and th SAC.  East Noble and Huntington North come to the SAC and FW South and North go to the NE8.  The move would be good for both conferences

North and South joining the NE 8 will never ever ever happen.

8 minutes ago, jakone said:

North and South joining the NE 8 will never ever ever happen.

Doesnt the administration at Northside and Southside owe it to the student athletes to place them in a conference where they can be competitive and have a chance for some success?  

The entire FW city football structure is negatively influenced by the Rod Woodson-Snider recruiting connection that poaches the best players from throughout the city.  Seems like the only time we here North and South having some success is when a top notch coach comes in , improves the program, and then leaves after 2 or 3 years for greener pastures.

I guess if North and South dont care about won-loss records, individual or team achievement, or putting their kids into the best possible environment to have some success, then they should just stay where they are and remain cannon fodder for the big guns in the conference.

I dont like it.  Its not right, and its not fair to those kids.

Edited by DT

53 minutes ago, DT said:

But your "facts"....

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Seems like the only time we here North and South having some success is when a top notch coach comes in , improves the program, and then leaves after 2 or 3 years for greener pastures.

Any evidence to this point would be interesting to see. Brevard leaving may be the exception. Kolkman was forced out due to some reshuffling in the cash grab known as Race to the Top (aka Dash for the Cash). I am not sure what happened with Ryan Hall, but he did not go anywhere after North Side; at least that I am aware of. 

Also curious why you picked Huntington to move from the NE8 to the SAC, and not Leo? East Noble, I get, and that may actually be a good move for them. 

23 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Any evidence to this point would be interesting to see. Brevard leaving may be the exception. Kolkman was forced out due to some reshuffling in the cash grab known as Race to the Top (aka Dash for the Cash). I am not sure what happened with Ryan Hall, but he did not go anywhere after North Side; at least that I am aware of. 

Also curious why you picked Huntington to move from the NE8 to the SAC, and not Leo? East Noble, I get, and that may actually be a good move for them. 

HN is 500 students larger than Leo and closer in competitive profile to the bigger SAC publics.  HN has been a gross under performer in football for a long time.  Ive always felt that with their excellent facillities and strong overall community support that they would break out at some point.  Remember that at one time Carmel chose to share a conference affiliation with HN in the Olympic.  

HN to me seems a lot like Warsaw.  Warsaw is climbing the competitive ladder as we speak.  I dont see why HN cant do the same.

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Doesnt the administration at Northside and Southside owe it to the student athletes to place them in a conference where they can be competitive and have a chance for some success?  

The entire FW city football structure is negatively influenced by the Rod Woodson-Snider recruiting connection that poaches the best players from throughout the city.  Seems like the only time we here North and South having some success is when a top notch coach comes in , improves the program, and then leaves after 2 or 3 years for greener pastures.

I guess if North and South dont care about won-loss records, individual or team achievement, or putting their kids into the best possible environment to have some success, then they should just stay where they are and remain cannon fodder for the big guns in the conference.

I dont like it.  Its not right, and its not fair to those kids.

It's The other way around. The NE 8 will never let them in and if you don't know why then it would do me no good to explain it to you.

9 minutes ago, jakone said:

It's The other way around. The NE 8 will never let them in and if you don't know why then it would do me no good to explain it to you.

Im sure I know why.  The NE8 doesnt want ghetto schools in its lilly white conference.  Thats too bad.  Doesnt say much about our diversity movement, does it?  

13 minutes ago, jakone said:

I am guessing it is the same thing I hinted at in the exchange about the NH coaching opening and why it seems we underachieve; and it is likely a part of why HN will never join the SAC. 

5 hours ago, CoachRippy said:

North Side has a history of hiring guys who turn out to be good coaches, then they leave. 

2 hours ago, DT said:

I don't see North Side going for that. Historically, they've been competitive in the SAC. Not to mention the pasting they delivered to Snider in 2020. Also, historically, North Side probably beats Huntingtion North 80% of the time. Something has to give though with regard to the SAC. Some kind of restructure. Something could be in the works.............so I've "heard."

2 hours ago, DT said:

The entire FW city football structure is negatively influenced by the Rod Woodson-Snider recruiting connection that poaches the best players from throughout the city. 

If recruiting was as big of a problem at Snider that those on this forum make it out to be, the coaching staff over there would win the SAC every year and probably have 10+ 5a/6a championships. Do they get a transfer here and there like any other school? Absolutely. But it's not the problem people on this forum make it out to be.  A wise man once told me to believe 1/3 of what you hear. Pulling the recruiting card is just an excuse for inferior programs to make excuses as to why they aren't any good. If your team stinks, the first place to look for a reason why is in the mirror. After that you can look at things such as enrollment and socioeconomics. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

HN is 500 students larger than Leo and closer in competitive profile to the bigger SAC publics.  HN has been a gross under performer in football for a long time.  Ive always felt that with their excellent facillities and strong overall community support that they would break out at some point.  Remember that at one time Carmel chose to share a conference affiliation with HN in the Olympic.  

HN to me seems a lot like Warsaw.  Warsaw is climbing the competitive ladder as we speak.  I dont see why HN cant do the same.

I couldn't agree more. I've always felt, if the right coach came along, Huntington North could prosper. Maybe entrance into the SAC would do them some good. Whatever the SAC does, it needs to be something other than an "island" conference.