Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fort Wayne North Side and South Side...

32 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

Has there been legitimate discussion within the SAC to create 2 divisions and allow schools to play a few non-conference games? I'd like to think this would help programs like NS and SS have a better shot at winning some more games, or at least be more competitive. 

What I heard was hearsay. Not worth mentioning. 

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

https://www.parkview.com/sports-network/news/sn-news-story?news=821

Congrats to Coach Johnson on the promotion 

Does Coach Johnson teach at Northside? I only ask because in the video he mentioned the relationship with the kids and whatnot and I agree completely that a school like North Side would benefit greatly from their HC walking the halls of the school.

5 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Has there been legitimate discussion within the SAC to create 2 divisions and allow schools to play a few non-conference games? I'd like to think this would help programs like NS and SS have a better shot at winning some more games, or at least be more competitive. 

This was SHOT DOWN big time at the AD meeting in SAC. Absolutely no interest by 3-4 schools in opening up the conference, or splitting into divisions....  

Also, I can't remember who I got into it with about the SAC changing their FB schedules...They have indeed now shuffled the SAC schedules for 2023 and beyond.  A completely different set-up, with yearly rotating dates/match-ups.

Edited by Yuccaguy
wording
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

This was SHOT DOWN big time at the AD meeting in SAC. Absolutely no interest by 3-4 schools in opening up the conference, or splitting into divisions....  

Also, I can't remember who I got into it with about the SAC changing their FB schedules...They have indeed now shuffled the SAC schedules for 2023 and beyond.  A completely different set-up, with yearly rotating dates/match-ups.

Its still a ten team conference with a full round robin so nothing has changed.  You play the same 9 schools and you have no out of conference flexibility.  I would bet that North, South, Wayne and Northrup are the 4 voting to sit pat.  All would prefer to stay local, keep travel expense down and settle for mediocrity.  The only way the big schools get what they want, scheduling flexibility, is to make a move on their own.  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Its still a ten team conference with a full round robin so nothing has changed.  You play the same 9 schools and you have no out of conference flexibility.  I would bet that North, South, Wayne and Northrup are the 4 voting to sit pat.  All would prefer to stay local, keep travel expense down and settle for mediocrity.  The only way the big schools get what they want, scheduling flexibility, is to make a move on their own.  

This is similar to what happened to the Hammond schools.  They were abandoned by everyone around them and eventually, Morton, Gavit, Clark and Hammond High had to create their own little conference.  Same could eventually happen to the FW schools, minus Snider.

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, DT said:

And that's what they should do. The SAC in it's current form doesn't do Snider, Homestead, and Carroll any favors. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

And that's what they should do. The SAC in it's current form doesn't do Snider, Homestead, and Carroll any favors. 

The only way for the big SAC schools to improve their regular season schedules is to look west.

Penn

Elkhart

Warsaw

Northrup

Snider

Dwenger

Homestead

Carroll

Penn doesnt want to go to the DAC because of the time zone issue.  Hooking up with The Fort eliminates that problem.  

19 minutes ago, DT said:

The only way for the big SAC schools to improve their regular season schedules is to look west.

Penn

Elkhart

Warsaw

Northrup

Snider

Dwenger

Homestead

Carroll

Penn doesnt want to go to the DAC because of the time zone issue.  Hooking up with The Fort eliminates that problem.  

I would love to see the Snider/Penn rivalry rejuvenated. Declining enrollment isn't doing the Panthers any favors, but the nucleus of the program remains strong. 

Those eight schools should take a serious look at that and make it more than just a pipe dream. I also think it would help with attendance. No one wants to see Snider take on South Side. Dwenger vs Elkhart would outdraw Dwenger vs Wayne by a mile. God knows attendance could use a boost since live streaming came into play. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BTF said:

I would love to see the Snider/Penn rivalry rejuvenated. Declining enrollment isn't doing the Panthers any favors, but the nucleus of the program remains strong. 

Those eight schools should take a serious look at that and make it more than just a pipe dream. I also think it would help with attendance. No one wants to see Snider take on South Side. Dwenger vs Elkhart would outdraw Dwenger vs Wayne by a mile. God knows attendance could use a boost since live streaming came into play. 

Lets call it "The Upstate 8"

This new setup would force Northrup to make the necessary changes to upgrade their program.  Bart Curtis lead Mishawaka out of the NIC.  I could seem him leading Warsaw out of the NLC for the same competitive reasons.

Weve talked about what its going to take to improve northern big school football and give the North 6A schools a fighting chance to compete for a state title.  This is a huge move in support of that goal.

Crown Point has made its move and signalled that it is ready to step up its game and get in on the action.  Lake Central and Portage still trailing, Merrillville attendance declining 

Ive always considered Penn and Elkhart to be more "eastern Indiana than western Indiana.  I prefer the align,ment with FW for the two schools.  .

5 minutes ago, DT said:

This new setup would force Northrup to make the necessary changes to upgrade their program.  Bart Curtis lead Mishawaka out of the NIC.  I could seem him leading Warsaw out of the NLC for the same competitive reasons.

Weve talked about what its going to take to improve northern big school football and give the North 6A schools a fighting chance to compete for a state title.  This is a huge move in support of that goal.

Crown Point has made its move and signalled that it is ready to step up its game and get in on the action.  Lake Central and Portage still trailing, Merrillville attendance declining 

Ive always considered Penn and Elkhart to be more "eastern Indiana than western Indiana.  I prefer the align,ment with FW for the two schools.  .

Off topic but I have always wondered why some spell it NORTHROP and others NORTHRUP...

3 minutes ago, DT said:

It would be fun for the DAC and the Upstate 8 to open the season with a full 8 game slate and put the state spotlight on Northern Indiana football in August.

We could see some excellent matchups :

Warsaw at Chesterton

Homestead at Merrillville

Penn at Crown Point

Snider at Valpo

Portage at Northrup

Laporte at Carroll

Michigan City at Dwenger

Lake Central at Elkhart

Id also like to see some Week 2 matchups for the U8 and The DAC with the Indy powers :

Center Grove

Ben Davis

Warren Central

Carmel

Cathedral

Roncalli

Avon

Brownsburg

Our big northern schools must "sharpen the stone" in non con play tp prepare for a rugged conference schedule and a long tournament run.

This is the recipe for northern success.  

Additionally, the northern schools need to be on equal ground with the Indy powers in terms of staffing.  We need proven winners with experience at the big school level.  These jobs are not for unproven assistants who have yet to win their first varsity game as a head coach.  Laporte, Im calling you out.

Crown Point sent a huge message with its hiring of Craig Buzea.  Lake Central and Laporte not so much.  These decisions send a clear message to the competition, and create the competitive profile a school chooses to present to its competitors.

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Additionally, the northern schools need to be on equal ground with the Indy powers in terms of staffing.  We need proven winners with experience at the big school level.  These jobs are not for unproven assistants who have yet to win their first varsity game as a head coach.  Laporte, Im calling you out.

Crown Point sent a huge message with its hiring of Craig Buzea.  Lake Central and Laporte not so much.  These decisions send a clear message to the competition, and create the competitive profile a school chooses to present to its competitors.

Lake Central too

Edited by DT

29 minutes ago, DT said:

OH NO!  Mr. Phillips is calling LaPorte out with made up scenarios.  Whatever will they do?

22 hours ago, DT said:
22 hours ago, DT said:

HN is 500 students larger than Leo and closer in competitive profile to the bigger SAC publics.  HN has been a gross under performer in football for a long time.  Ive always felt that with their excellent facillities and strong overall community support that they would break out at some point.  Remember that at one time Carmel chose to share a conference affiliation with HN in the Olympic.  

HN to me seems a lot like Warsaw.  Warsaw is climbing the competitive ladder as we speak.  I dont see why HN cant do the same.

HN dropped from 5 to 4A recently while Leo has grown from 2 to 4A over the past couple decades.  If they’d build a new school Leo would probably be 6A in 5-10 years.

Edited by Purdue Pete

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Off topic but I have always wondered why some spell it NORTHROP and others NORTHRUP...

Same reason some say potato and some say potatu. 😃

12 hours ago, DT said:

I love the idea. The name is perfect. I won't bet on it happening in my lifetime though. Things that make too much sense don't ever come to fruition. I just can't imagine the SAC being so blind that they don't see the need for a change. It's not entirely impossible to see Snider, Homestead, or Carroll take the 6a crown one day, but it's one heck of an uphill battle. The likelihood of one of those teams winning 6a is 5%. With the creation of the Upstate 8, that number rockets to 30% in 4 years. 

Great post DT. If what you say doesn't make any sense, I'd love for an IHSAA administrator or an AD from the SAC come on here and explain why. I seriously think it would boost attendance. Snider fans have become bored with the mediocre competition, and it shows with the empty seats in the stands. I'm more likely to drive to Valpo or Penn then an I am South Side or Wayne. And to be honest, more South Side fans would show up if they were in a more competitive conference. On the surface, it appears that South Side stinks. Fans won't show up for a team that finishes perennially last.  But I'd be willing to bet they would be a .500+ team in any conference not named MIC, HCC, SAC, or DAC. 

BTF

You are welcome to steal all of my ideas and write a guest editorial for the FW Sentinel.  This would create more local awareness and create some chatter about this concept.   Everything starts at the grassroots level.   

7 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

The remaining teams could form a new conference. 

They should call it the Allen County Athletic Conference. 

What would you call the current Allen County Athletic Conference (that only has 2 Allen County teams of the 7)?

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

What would you call the current Allen County Athletic Conference (that only has 2 Allen County teams of the 7)?

North Side, South side, Wayne, Concordia and Luers will form their own conference, and bring in Leo, New Haven and East Noble.