Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Valparaiso no longer crusaders

Whiting89

21 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

In this case, yes. Besides Rokita, at least 1 other mentioned on this thread included. Dannster.

Go Beacons!

Quite the bigoted comment.  So tolerant of you.

Have a great day.

I agree with an earlier poster....it will be interesting to see if this name change will hurt in regards to alumni donations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

?  Please elaborate on the relationship between this new "Beacon" mascot/name and the KKK.

The KKK and other hate groups use of the name and symbols was the reason for the name change.

"That decision came after a decades-long debate that has recently intensified because groups such as the Ku Klux Klan began using the words and symbols of the Crusades, which were a series of bloody religious wars starting in the 11th century between Christians and Muslims.

For years, Valpo's sports mascot had been a helmeted figure in faux armor. But the school's faculty and student senates each passed resolutions calling for a change and the university's alumni board of directors supported reassessing the team name's appropriateness."

https://abc7chicago.com/valparaiso-beacons-crusader-valpo/10944585/

Edited by gonzoron

3 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

"That decision came after a decades-long debate that has recently intensified because groups such as the Ku Klux Klan began using the words and symbols of the Crusades, which were a series of bloody religious wars starting in the 11th century between Christians and Muslims.

For years, Valpo's sports mascot had been a helmeted figure in faux armor. But the school's faculty and student senates each passed resolutions calling for a change and the university's alumni board of directors supported reassessing the team name's appropriateness."

https://abc7chicago.com/valparaiso-beacons-crusader-valpo/10944585/

Thank you.

https://www.ranker.com/list/the-crusader-mascot-school-list/reference

Obviously a little of of date now,  but I'm sure all these institutions are hot beds of KKK activity.

1 hour ago, DE said:

Quite the bigoted comment.  So tolerant of you.

Have a great day.

I agree with an earlier poster....it will be interesting to see if this name change will hurt in regards to alumni donations.

I DO MY BEST😁

Edited by Gipper

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

LOL....I wonder if Holy Cross understands this affiliation you speak of.....

https://www.telegram.com/news/20180203/holy-cross-board-votes-to-keep-crusaders-nickname-mascot

Completely different reason for the debate in the case of Holy Cross College. It was based solely on religious connections, not use of the words and symbols by hate groups which is the case at Valparaiso.

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Completely different reason for the debate in the case of Holy Cross College. It was based solely on religious connections, not use of the words and symbols by hate groups which is the case at Valparaiso.

Is it possible that HC might have heard of this KKK connection?

At the end of the day, as I said earlier, it is their perogative to change their nickname.  But a lighthouse logo in a landlocked town?  I think its kind of funny.

4 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

At the end of the day, as I said earlier, it is their perogative to change their nickname.  But a lighthouse logo in a landlocked town?  I think its kind of funny.

I think VU should have went with the Warriors, Social Justice Warriors.

Typed in my best James Bond "impersonation".

😅

13 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't know, the KKK isn't listed as a recognized hate group in Massachusetts, but it is in Indiana.

16 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

At the end of the day, as I said earlier, it is their perogative to change their nickname.  But a lighthouse logo in a landlocked town?

I agree, if that's the best replacement they could come up with, would I want my kid going there? I suppose that would depend on the scholarship offer, the nickname might be overlooked if that happens. So far it hasn't.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

I don't know, the KKK isn't listed as a recognized hate group in Massachusetts, but it is in Indiana.

I agree, if that's the best replacement they could come up with, would I want my kid going there? I suppose that would depend on the scholarship offer, the nickname might be overlooked if that happens. So far it hasn't.

There are a lot of "hate groups" that aren't formally recognized.