Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sports memes and other stuff

Irishman

On 4/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, gonzoron said:

Facing Nolan

Told from the point of view of the hitters who faced him and the teammates who revered him, Facing Nolan is the definitive documentary of a Texas legend.In the world of Major League Baseball no one has created a mythology like Nolan Ryan. In Theaters Nationwide on May 24th.

Thanks Gonzo....can't wait to see this one.  What a legend!!!  Can't imagine trying to dig into the batter box and face this guy.

18 hours ago, Irishman said:

Happy Lee Elia Day Baseball Fans....NSFW by the way. 🤣

Rip to the legendary Les Grobstein, longtime late night 670 the score host who died in January, who recorded this absolutely priceless rant. 

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 1

OK....seeing what was one of the most impressive Derby runs in my life, it got me to thinking. I don't ever remember seeing the homestretch close to the rail open like it did. It seems the rail was always crowded. This view of the race shows what I mean about the opening for Rich Strike to make a run to the front. Not sure if all the riders were focused too much on the front 2 horses or what, but this is impressive. 
https://fansided.com/2022/05/07/overhead-view-rich-strike-kentucky-derby-run-video/ 

• Like 1

Not sure what the payoff for a $2 exacta is, but this dude's dad bet based the jockey being Venezuelan. I had wondered if anyone had even gotten a trifecta or even a superfecta....even if they had boxed them. One thing is certain, at 80-1 odds, very few picked him in any combo. And how about the horse being so feisty in the cool down? What was he sayin to those horses? "Hey babe, I just won the Derby, let's celebrate" 🤣

One more thing for now.....the gold standard that will likely never be touched. 
How fast is Secretariat's derby time of 1:59.4, which is still the record 49 years later? Secretariat would have beaten today's winner Rich Strike by 13 lengths

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Irishman said:

One more thing for now.....the gold standard that will likely never be touched. 
How fast is Secretariat's derby time of 1:59.4, which is still the record 49 years later? Secretariat would have beaten today's winner Rich Strike by 13 lengths

The very definition of an “outlier.” Probably the greatest non-human athlete in history. At the Belmont, they couldn’t even get the 2nd place finisher in the camera shot on the stretch.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The very definition of an “outlier.” Probably the greatest non-human athlete in history. At the Belmont, they couldn’t even get the 2nd place finisher in the camera shot on the stretch.

I was thinking, I remember seeing that as he hit each quarter, they were each faster than the previous quarter. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

6 times in MLB history has a team had a pitcher or a pitching staff combine to throw a no hitter........and lose. Well, it HAD been just 5 times.........until Sunday May 15th, 2022 when the Reds became the 6th team. Interesting to note, the first time was 1964. Seems the Reds just want to find new ways to lose. The crazy part was just a few years ago, they had been active in the free agent market and appeared to be set to make a run deep into the post season. I do feel bad for a guy like Joe Votto though. He is one of those guys you would love to see win a championship. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/pitchers-throw-no-hitter-lose-hunter-greene-reds-mlb/oksmri1ryygq5fimomeyopal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

6 times in MLB history has a team had a pitcher or a pitching staff combine to throw a no hitter........and lose. Well, it HAD been just 5 times.........until Sunday May 15th, 2022 when the Reds became the 6th team. Interesting to note, the first time was 1964. Seems the Reds just want to find new ways to lose. The crazy part was just a few years ago, they had been active in the free agent market and appeared to be set to make a run deep into the post season. I do feel bad for a guy like Joe Votto though. He is one of those guys you would love to see win a championship. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/pitchers-throw-no-hitter-lose-hunter-greene-reds-mlb/oksmri1ryygq5fimomeyopal 

I thought it doesn’t count as a true no-hitter because the Pirates batted only 8 times.

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

I thought it doesn’t count as a true no-hitter because the Pirates batted only 8 times.

That is above my pay grade. Interesting question though. As a Cubs fan, I am ok with it counting against the Reds. 🤣

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Irishman said:

36 years ago today. I remember this fight well. One of the best rounds I can remember. I was huge Hagler fan then. This fight ended just 5 minutes and 2 seconds later. 

What great matchups those middle divisions made in those days. Hearns, Hagler, Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran. Awesome fights.

• Like 1