Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Nearly 50 Charged in College Admissions Bribery Scandal

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

No, not yet. Still evaluating.

I thought you didn't care about the voting stuff. 😕

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Unfortunately as only a moderator I do not have access to administrative tools that may make such research easier.  Better would be direct access to the forum database backend, but that is out of the question.

Just curious; you do not see the ip addresses in the upper right of posts?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

nope

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

No, I do not.   Not that ip addresses can't be easily spoofed or routed through a proxy.

11 hours ago, foxbat said:

I don't.

12 hours ago, foxbat said:

He cares about someone who has artificially inflated vote totals. It's a Seinfeld episode-a show about nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

No, I do not.   Not that ip addresses can't be easily spoofed or routed through a proxy.

I don't.

Man, you've given WAAAAAYYYY too much thought over someone working a high school football chat to get an up-vote.  Then again, the only evidence of said action ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

He cares about someone who has artificially inflated vote totals. It's a Seinfeld episode-a show about nothing.

Site's only been back up for a little time, so it's pretty easy to figure out that it's all pretty much on the up-and-up ... well, mainly.

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

Right next to this image, right?

image.png.e14d6a99db4a9b353b367509cca599d4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

This looks like an advertisement by this person.  This person lays out their cost, why it's a valuable service, why their services will continue to be in demand, and what the results are.  I don't see anywhere where they claimed they are quitting doing what they are doing nor returning the investment capital from Shark Tank.  This is the dealer lamenting a drug problem in the city while letting the users know where to find them where the cops look the other way ... except that the service that they offer is completely legal.

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

This looks like an advertisement by this person.  This person lays out their cost, why it's a valuable service, why their services will continue to be in demand, and what the results are.  I don't see anywhere where they claimed they are quitting doing what they are doing nor returning the investment capital from Shark Tank.  This is the dealer lamenting a drug problem in the city while letting the users know where to find them where the cops look the other way ... except that the service that they offer is completely legal.

just sharing the article.....was amazed they could charge and receive $1000/hr.  Looks like only wealthy clients.  I guess at least these are parents paying for their kids to learn and take the tests on their own........

7 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

just sharing the article.....was amazed they could charge and receive $1000/hr.  Looks like only wealthy clients.  I guess at least these are parents paying for their kids to learn and take the tests on their own........

For $1,000 an hour, you think there would be a better guarantee.  The article mentioned that the tutor's clients increase scores by a couple hundred points.  For that kind of money, you think there'd be 1) a guarantee and 2) more points than that.  My daughter, who is not a standardized test taker, increased her SAT 100 points with the Kaplan online course.  I think she had a discount code that let her get it for under $100.

The other thing that makes me wonder about the privilege part was that ETS went after the student in Florida who ended up with a 300-point increase.  ETS said that type of increase "tipped them off."  When pressed, they later claimed that her answers looked similar to other students who were under suspicion.  It would seem to me that, if the tutor's average score increase is a couple of hundred, wouldn't we have seen many more of these types of stories like the one in Florida?  Or do we only see them based on the school the student hails from, etc.?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, foxbat said:

Man, you've given WAAAAAYYYY too much thought over someone working a high school football chat to get an up-vote.  Then again, the only evidence of said action ...

A lot of thought?  Not really,  IP spoofing and using proxies have been around since pretty much the invention of the Internet Protocol and the internet itself.

And neither technique was used to to increase my reputation score to what it currently is.  I thought that had been discussed previously.

• Disdain 1

21 hours ago, foxbat said:

Site's only been back up for a little time, so it's pretty easy to figure out that it's all pretty much on the up-and-up ... well, mainly.

Right next to this image, right?

image.png.e14d6a99db4a9b353b367509cca599d4.png

What exactly are you saying foxbat?  You and Gonzo are the ones who seem to be all butt hurt about the GID's reputation rankings.   

The college admissions scam opens a new front in the affirmative action debate: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/17/us/college-cheating-scandal-affirmative-action-debate/index.html

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

No leg up or handouts in America.

Why take a spot away from a more deserving student?

Those phrases are part of the rhetorical toolkit opponents of affirmative action have long used to attack the policy. But defenders of using racial preferences in college admissions now have a new response to complaints that undeserving black and brown students are getting help:

What about the college cheating scandal?

The outrage over the scam laid out by federal prosecutors has opened a new battleground in the affirmative action war. Opponents of the policy say the allegations bolster their arguments that elite colleges can't be trusted to vet students impartially. Defenders of racial preferences say, "There's a lot more kids at elite colleges because their parents are rich than because they're brown or black."

Looming behind this debate is a big question that may take years to answer:
Could revelations from the cheating scandal actually save affirmative action, if and when the US Supreme Court takes up the issue again?

So far, there's little indication to think the scheme uncovered by the feds could sway the court's conservative majority -- which has been shaped by a legal movement long opposed to affirmative action.

Some affirmative action critics, when asked why preferential treatment for racial minorities is wrong but giving a leg up to wealthy students, children of donors and legacy admissions is OK, say both are dubious.

Whether an unqualified student gets into college from the "racial preference pool" or the "celebrities-and-cheaters pool," it's not right, says Walter Olson, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank in Washington.

"If racial preference is unjust, then it doesn't magically become just because people notice some other injustice that has different beneficiaries," Olson says. "Two things can be unjust at the same time, and two injustices do not add up to one justice."

Growing up my parents would tell myself and my siblings repeatedly "Life isn't fair.  Get used to it."     It was true then and it is true now, and no amount of hand wringing and government intervention will change that.

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

You and Gonzo are the ones who seem to be all butt hurt about the GID's reputation rankings. 

Image result for what me worry

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

What exactly are you saying foxbat?  You and Gonzo are the ones who seem to be all butt hurt about the GID's reputation rankings.   

Yeah ... THAT'S it. 🙄

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, foxbat said:

Yeah ... THAT'S it. 🙄

Thank you for the admission.  It is refreshing to see.

Edited by Muda69

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you for the admission.  It is refreshing to see.

I SEE you missed the rolling eyes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I SEE you missed the rolling eyes

No, I didn't.

Do you want an upvote?

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Do you want an upvote?

If you give him one, does that mean you may be his GID sockpuppet?

Just now, gonzoron said:

If you give him one, does that mean you may be his GID sockpuppet?

No, not unless you believe the Muda69 account was created/owned by foxbat.

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

No, not unless you believe the Muda69 account was created/owned by foxbat.

Ok, no, I don't believe that. I also don't believe anyone who receives a lot of upvotes in this Club has a "sockpuppet". But I could be wrong................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

No, I didn't.

Do you want an upvote?

🙄

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this