Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do "County" Schools struggle to build pride, identity and community support?

Guest DT

2 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I may need help to verify my answer to this.

A big problem getting teachers to coach is their teaching workload may be too big to handle all.

Example, in a big school, a math teacher may only be teaching Algebra all day.  The same teacher in a small school may be teaching Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and Calculus.  That's 4 different preps daily.  A lot to put on a plate.

Also, some coaches may get an extra prep during their season...That's shorts the department one class someone will have to cover.

For the experienced teacher, may not be a problem, but the new teacher...very difficult to master in the first couple of years.

It was difficult in my early years, but very manageable.

We were on tri-mesters.  A LOT of planning the 1st year.  Coached football, basketball and softball.  I attended all off season work outs for all sports that didn't interfere with my in season sport.  I was also the student council co-advisor.

My advice....DO NOT try and reinvent the wheel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I am not trying to make it anything... Seeger is the only school in Warren County.  They have had success.  My point was/is that does the success come from good Community support or does the community support come from the success?  

Apologies to you and @Donnie Baker I glanced at the Membership Map 

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/calendars/MembershipMap.pdf

and confused I-74 with the county line between the two.  It appears then Seeger (Warren) is the single HS exception and not Fountain Central. 

Great point. It's always easier to support a winner.   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Medium income for Sheridan:  https://datausa.io/profile/geo/sheridan-in

Medium income for Carmel:  https://datausa.io/profile/geo/carmel-in/

Yes, Sheridan is located in the wealthiest county in Indiana,  but that wealth doesn't translate to Adams township in the far northwest corner of Hamilton county.  Nor does it translate to Marion township in Boone county, the other township which attends Sheridan schools:  https://censusreporter.org/profiles/06000US1801146854-marion-township-boone-county-in/

Sheridan has not won state since  2007 so not sure why you are singly focused on them...other than the coach not sure they are relevant anymore....my original point was a county such as Bartholomew with thriving industry is a major reason both Columbus schools are ranked top 10 every year, and the withering counties around them will continue to struggle.  Another example Floyd Central.....families with money have migrated to the area from Louisvlle....back in the day FC was HHC bottom feeder looking up at current bottom feeders JC and Madison.  Obviously the wealthier donut counties along with Indy metro the dominate football programs.  Year round access to private coaches, speed/agility facilities...youth programs such IEFA and FBU those aren't available in the more rural counties.

21 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Interesting post.  Adams and Jay are next to each other.  Both are rural but Adams has Berne, Monroe and Decatur which house (1A) South Adams, (1A) Adam’s Central and (3A) Belmont all of whom have been to or won state.  Granted Belmont has been struggling. Other than Portland, Jay co is corn fields for as far as the eye can see.  Combine all 3 Adam’s co schools into 1 and perhaps the outcome is a underperforming 4-5A (just like Huntington North / Jay)?  

Combing the 3 Adams Co Schools would put the enrollment around 1400.  I think they would do very well in the 4A North.  This would probably be the Sectional they would fall into. 

Delta  FW South Side FW Wayne Huntington North Jay County  Marion  Mississinewa New Haven

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ahh, so only "current" success counts. Got it.

I guess Sheridan and IU basketball fans have something in common.....14 years and counting long time ago, but Sheridan football can get back since the kids have access to all those northside facilities I mentioned.  Maybe this years starting QB can drive south for weekend skill development at the QB academies that were not there 14 years ago....if mom and pop have the scratch to spend?

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Apologies to you and @Donnie Baker I glanced at the Membership Map 

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/calendars/MembershipMap.pdf

and confused I-74 with the county line between the two.  It appears then Seeger (Warren) is the single HS exception and not Fountain Central. 

Great point. It's always easier to support a winner.   

@Donnie Bakeris one of the greatest humans on this Earth.  I swear he is.  😉

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ahh, so only "current" success counts. Got it.

Ran out of likes to give, so here is a big like/thank you Muda.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigBH said:

I guess Sheridan and IU basketball fans have something in common.....14 years and counting long time ago, but Sheridan football can get back since the kids have access to all those northside facilities I mentioned.  Maybe this years starting QB can drive south for weekend skill development at the QB academies that were not there 14 years ago....if mom and pop have the scratch to spend?

And I pointed out Sheridan <> Carmel when it comes to average family income.

So you truly believe weekend skill development camps and QB academies are the primary reason that wealthy communities/cities have such (relatively) recent success on the gridiron?  That a Sheridan or Frankfort or Riverton Parke or Logansport or Blackford County or Carroll (Flora) (etc. the list goes on) will never have or be able to sustain football excellence due to primarily socioeconomic factors?

52 minutes ago, NE8Fan said:

Combing the 3 Adams Co Schools would put the enrollment around 1400.  I think they would do very well in the 4A North.  This would probably be the Sectional they would fall into. 

Delta  FW South Side FW Wayne Huntington North Jay County  Marion  Mississinewa New Haven

As of today yes I agree.  All have built decent programs (Belmont again is struggling)... lots of support.  But I wonder...  if they had been consolidated in the 70s and never had the opportunity to make all those 1a regional / semi state runs through the years... would the enthusiasm and support still be there? Or would Adams county today feel more like Jay and Hunt? A couple sectional championships spread over 30 years is a lot different than multi semi state appearances.

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And I pointed out Sheridan <> Carmel when it comes to average family income.

So you truly believe weekend skill development camps and QB academies are the primary reason that wealthy communities/cities have such (relatively) recent success on the gridiron?  That a Sheridan or Frankfort or Riverton Parke or Logansport or Blackford County or Carroll (Flora) (etc. the list goes on) will never have or be able to sustain football excellence due to primarily socioeconomic factors?

Pretty much yes.....I do know that four QB's from teams in this years championship games religiously attend a prestigious academy on the northside, but its not just a QB thing.  Speed and agility clinics everywhere...I know that because we go to them.  Former Colt Robert Mathis is training D lineman.  You may not be familiar with the IEFA league buts its no coincidence that all the participating teams are Indy Metro and doughnut counties and you can track the success all the way up to high school. 

1 minute ago, BigBH said:

Pretty much yes.....I do know that four QB's from teams in this years championship games religiously attend a prestigious academy on the northside, but its not just a QB thing.  Speed and agility clinics everywhere...I know that because we go to them.  Former Colt Robert Mathis is training D lineman.  You may not be familiar with the IEFA league buts its no coincidence that all the participating teams are Indy Metro and doughnut counties and you can track the success all the way up to high school. 

Wow, must be nice to be rich.

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Wow, must be nice to be rich.

it doesn't take being rich, but the bottom number on the 1040 needs to be healthy.  Parents have choices depending where you call home....freedom and personal choice in the good ole USA

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Healthy = rich.

maybe you don't have a teenager but I prefer to call it parental sacrifice since I'm not rich....limit restaurants, drive a modest vehicle type stuff....basically sacrifice my needs, so a kid can have more opportunities and life experiences....you only get one chance.

Edited by BigBH
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigBH said:

maybe you don't have a teenager but I prefer to call it parental sacrifice since I'm not rich....limit restaurants, drive a modest vehicle type stuff....basically sacrifice my needs, so a kid can have more opportunities and life experiences....you only get one chance.

I have raised multiple teenagers. Most "parental sacrifice" in Clinton county is working 60+ hours a week just to keep a roof over your family's head and food on the table.   Fancy schmancy personal trainers and athletic camps are a pipe dream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I have raised multiple teenagers. Most "parental sacrifice" in Clinton county is working 60+ hours a week just to keep a roof over your family's head and food on the table.   Fancy schmancy personal trainers and athletic camps are a pipe dream.

As the great American poet John Mellencamp said "Ain't that American for you and me"

3 hours ago, DE said:

It was difficult in my early years, but very manageable.

We were on tri-mesters.  A LOT of planning the 1st year.  Coached football, basketball and softball.  I attended all off season work outs for all sports that didn't interfere with my in season sport.  I was also the student council co-advisor.

My advice....DO NOT try and reinvent the wheel.

Haha...I always kind of get a kick out of veteran/older teachers telling us "how I used to do things" 

This is going to come across smug/arrogant and it is not actually meant that way - but the days of "read/hand out a worksheet" are over. Teaching expectations and documentation and data collection in CORE subjects have become almost too much to try and do and still have energy to run a program. 

It's why I've asked numerous times on here about head coaches and the subjects they teach. More often than naught , especially at your bigger programs (4A and above) - the head football coach is not in your traditional classroom setting. They are teaching PE, Strength, or have some Admin position. And I know those have their challenges, but they don't necessarily require the daily/hourly requirements of core subjects. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jets said:

Haha...I always kind of get a kick out of veteran/older teachers telling us "how I used to do things" 

This is going to come across smug/arrogant and it is not actually meant that way - but the days of "read/hand out a worksheet" are over. Teaching expectations and documentation and data collection in CORE subjects have become almost too much to try and do and still have energy to run a program. 

It's why I've asked numerous times on here about head coaches and the subjects they teach. More often than naught , especially at your bigger programs (4A and above) - the head football coach is not in your traditional classroom setting. They are teaching PE, Strength, or have some Admin position. And I know those have their challenges, but they don't necessarily require the daily/hourly requirements of core subjects. 

I see what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree.  I am a core teacher and things work real smooth for me.  Find your system that works for the kids AND you.  Stick with it.  Do not reinvent the wheel.  

I am not telling you "how I used to do things", I am informing you how I STILL do things.

2 hours ago, DE said:

I see what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree.  I am a core teacher and things work real smooth for me.  Find your system that works for the kids AND you.  Stick with it.  Do not reinvent the wheel.  

I am not telling you "how I used to do things", I am informing you how I STILL do things.

A lot depends on the Admin in the building in which you teach I suppose. Good for you. 

6 hours ago, BigBH said:

it doesn't take being rich, but the bottom number on the 1040 needs to be healthy.  Parents have choices depending where you call home....freedom and personal choice in the good ole USA

YES SIR!

5 hours ago, jets said:

If it works, why would you not at least listen to their advice?

23 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The positive side would be the diversity of culture for those living in Frankfort?