Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Cruse

Indiana State Law on Concussions in Effect Starting Today

Attention Coaches, AD's, Trainers and Youth league folks the new concussion law goes into effect today...

• Concussion awareness training is required for football coaches. Coaches of football players younger than 20 must be certified in concussion awareness at least every two years. The law also mandates a 24-hour waiting period before an athlete who is believed to have sustained a concussion may return to play. The legislation bolsters existing state laws that require schools to distribute information about concussions to all athletes and gave medical staff the final say on clearing players after a head injury. It also extends the regulations to leagues and teams that aren't affiliated with schools but use public parks or fields to play and practice.

Edited by Coach Cruse

As far as the high school game goes, this law has no impact whatsoever. The IHSAA already requires annual certification for all coaches in concussion awareness. The IHSAA also requires that a player is symptom free for 2 weeks before returning to practice.

• Upvote 1

As far as the high school game goes, this law has no impact whatsoever. The IHSAA already requires annual certification for all coaches in concussion awareness. The IHSAA also requires that a player is symptom free for 2 weeks before returning to practice.

Where do you find they IHSAA rule about being symptom free for 2 weeks before returning to practice? I do not believe you are right on that rule. http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/officials/E-1%20IHSAA%20Concussion%20Policy.pdf  

Where do you find they IHSAA rule about being symptom free for 2 weeks before returning to practice? I do not believe you are right on that rule. http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/officials/E-1%20IHSAA%20Concussion%20Policy.pdf

It will take some time to find it....that is how we have operated in the Fort Wayne area for a couple years now. In fact, the Donovan kid from South Side was held out of the game against us becuse the two week time period had not passed. I will say, the document you supplied was titled "suggested guidelines". We need to see a link of official guidelines.

It will take some time to find it....that is how we have operated in the Fort Wayne area for a couple years now. In fact, the Donovan kid from South Side was held out of the game against us becuse the two week time period had not passed. I will say, the document you supplied was titled "suggested guidelines". We need to see a link of official guidelines.

I provided a link to the only guidelines I am aware of on the IHSAA website. You claim the rule is different. OK, show us the rule.

I provided a link to the only guidelines I am aware of on the IHSAA website. You claim the rule is different. OK, show us the rule.

It was not my intention to get into an argument here. I was simply explaining the protocol that several teams in this area have been following. I also stated that it would take some time to find it. In the meantime, i have emailed a contact at the IHSAA to clarify

• Upvote 1

It was not my intention to get into an argument here. I was simply explaining the protocol that several teams in this area have been following. I also stated that it would take some time to find it. In the meantime, i have emailed a contact at the IHSAA to clarify

It is also not my intention to get into an argument. I read the IHSAA bylaws and the fall and winter bulletins so that I know what the rules are so that I don't miss something and get my team in trouble. I asked for the location of the rule you stated because I had not seen that anywhere. I want to make sure I am up to date. 

There is no rule in the IHSAA bylaws that states a "2 week symptom free" scenario. 

Perhaps the NFHS training states a two-week, symptom-free period?

Perhaps the NFHS training states a two-week, symptom-free period?

I have just checked two different sports rulebooks from last year. Neither has a two week symptom free period rule. The NFHS free video course for coaches does not state a  two week symptom free period rule. The video course has a resource section that lists each states requirements. For Indiana it links to the link I posted.

Edited by SR1

The guidelines that the IHSAA and the NFHS have a five step program to follow after you are symptom free before returning to a full practice or game. My experience is that when a athlete goes to the doctor for a concussion and the doctor does say they have a concussion they have at least one week before a follow up appointment. After that one week if they are symptom free then they can start the five step program (that takes five days to do) before they are cleared. That is going to give you two weeks off of full practice or games. If they have any symptoms during that five step program they have to stop and start over another day when they are symptom free. Then you have the IHSAA bylaw that says you have to have  4 days of practice if you missed 5 to 10 days due to injury or 6 days of practice if you missed over 10 days due to injury.

I have some clarification from my original post; the procedure that we have been following is similar to what SR1 explained, but the company that our trainer works for is saying they need to be symptom free for 2 weeks. I will assume that since South Side contracts with ONE, that they follow the same procedure. It was our understanding that it was mandated by the IHSAA; I was wrong in that aspect. I will still say though, after researching it, the IHSAA recommendations, coming from the NFHS, were in place before this bill.

If your trainers' company is stating two weeks, they are probably concerned about the liabilities of releasing a student. SR 1's post about the five day procedure is accurate. However, with the ImPACT being used, and athletes have been symptom free for only a few days and have a normal ImPACT reading, some parents go berserk on me cause I still hold them out for 7 days symptom free whether released by Doctor or not. Have had many an argument about this. "So you know more about concussions than a doctor?" Have heard that one lot from parents. Well....with some docs.... I do. After the seven days THEN we start the five day procedure. A concussion is going to probably keep a kid out at least 10-14 days from initial occurrence to return to play. As this gets more and more publicity from the over zealous press...legislatures will start adding day frames to the laws. Indiana has already added the "24 hour" rule. Mark my words....it won't be entirely too long before a congressperson will create a law that states "one concussion, done for season." This is why it is sooooooo very important for everybody to be educated especially the athlete so the chances for second impact syndrome are greatly diminished. The press is not going to ramble on about a concussion to a high school athlete except when listing why somebody may not be playing. Second impact situation....everybody wants the news on that. Just the way we are in society I suppose.

Edited by gbjemler