Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pioneer - What's the Secret

They balanced it out for the girls sports with the recent championships and runner-ups.

Never forget the disappointment of traveling to The Pit as a 6 going on 7 year old and watching our football team get beat in 97. Unfortunately they've always got the better of us in semi state of football. All those appearances my Flying Jets could have had if it were not for Pioneer and LCC

3 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I think the Kiser brothers had a sister that was a state champ in either cross countries or track. Maybe give some credit to the parents for teaching work ethics. STATE LAW!

Why Donnie Baker is one of the best in the State.  I swear he is.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, DT said:

How could you possibly not win wearing that helmet?

Those boys must be breathing fire when they come out of the tunnel.  Makes it feel just like The Big House!

Pioneer's helmets are actually based off of the Delaware Blue Hens.

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I will let Coach Berry tell you :

Sure, but is that it?

Does Rensselaer Central have a lack of kids who turn in work or do well academically, or lift extra?  Not throwing shade at RC just know that lots of schools have kids like that but don't go to the state finals 10 times across multiple sports in an 8 year span

Speaking strictly football here - but having a D-I type level athlete at the 1A level, coupled with an already established tradition, will normally lead to pretty good results. It's not rocket science here fellas! 

Look back at the Sheridan years with Law/Zachary

Then the LCC years with the Anthrops 

Now, Pioneer with Kiser and then the Llewellan twins (sp?)

I know that "one or 2 players does not a football team make" - I understand that. HOWEVER, what a lot of people over-look is having that phenomenal of a talent walking through the halls generally will bring more people to participate, as the likelihood to be successful increases. Having a talent like that in youth levels, kids then good used to winning, and more likely to stick with it. 

Couple that with 1A numbers and competition, and well, there you go....

Here is a very brief story that I think may shed a bit of light....

Had Pioneer at KV JV this fall.

Pioneer showed up w/ 11 players.  11.

KV, maybe 25-30.

Middle of game, a Pioneer player gets injured.  Now Pioneer is playing w/ 10.

KV beats them soundly.  Week 3 I believe.  VERY hot Saturday morning on the turf.

Pioneer was playing as hard the last snap of the game as they were the 1st snap of the game.

Speaking specifically on football.....It was either the spring of 2016 or 2017 (I can't remember) Coach Mike Johnson came down and did a mini clinic for our region. He had moved on to Logansport but he used clips from his athletes at Pioneer. It was excellent. He was very nice, and he answered every question with no hesitance to who might be listening. It was evident that the athletic culture at Pioneer was BOOMING. Fast forward to the fall of '17 we met Pioneer in the semi state game....One of the best teams we put on the field in our time at MC got handled. We had a definite size advantage and even took an early lead before the dam broke. To this day our staff frequently talks about HOW FREAKING HARD that team played, and still use it as a measuring stick. The WHOLE team played so dang hard and fast all night...it was overwhelming. And to top it all off, they were genuinely good kids. Kind between plays, sportsmanlike and tough between the whistles.

SO, whats the point?.......Culture keeps you relevant even in years you may not be as talented. Athlete development is part of culture. Years and years of excellence and doing things the right way all ties back to culture. Add a cycle of a great athletic classes and you get what they have. Pioneer has 25 straight winning football seasons....and as long as they fight to maintain that culture, I don't think they'll really ever have a bad year. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, CoachVeatch said:

SO, whats the point?.......Culture keeps you relevant even in years you may not be as talented. Athlete development is part of culture. Years and years of excellence and doing things the right way all ties back to culture.

The best capsule summary I’ve seen on the difference between a football team, and a football program.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. 

—- Aristotle

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 3

There have been a lot of factors mentioned above.

Here are a few other reasons that may be a factor:

1) Parent buy in-Not only do kids have to buy in to the coach and program but the parents must as well.  Parents have to shuttle the kids back and forth to practice, workouts, and such until a time that the kid can drive them self.  And parents themselves have to want their kids to do well.(you might be shocked to here parents say "my kid won't get in further in life than me"

2) Teacher support-Teachers can have a lot of influence on kids as well.  They are speaking to them maybe more that the parents.  If a teacher can say to a student try something new like XYZ sport or ABC club they might try it.

3) Opponents attitude towards Pioneer- May teams are beat before they take the field due to their attitude "We can't beat them, why even try!"  This could be said by the actual opponent or the opponents parents, or the opponents classmates, etc.  You hear it enough and you start to feel it within you.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 6:45 AM, Major said:

3) Opponents attitude towards Pioneer- May teams are beat before they take the field due to their attitude "We can't beat them, why even try!"  This could be said by the actual opponent or the opponents parents, or the opponents classmates, etc.  You hear it enough and you start to feel it within you.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” 
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War