Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point Lady Hoopsters raise the ante for Buzea's emerging football program

Guest DT

Craig Buzea was hired at Crown Point and the objective is crystal clear - bring home a 6A state football championship to CP, which is quickly becoming the City of Champions.

The CP girls basketball team finished off a 25-1 season with a win over Brownsburg in the 4A state title game on saturday night.  The Lady Dawgs return their top player, high scoring guard Jessica r, as well as as 6-4 center Lilly Stoddard and a sold core of key role players.  The Crown Point girls will open the 2021-2022 as solid favorites to repeat. 

The CP girls softball team is 3 seasons removed from a state championship, and always a threat in the post season tournament.

If expectatations for football success were high at CP upon Buzea's hiring, they just went up a notch or two.  

I expect an immediate improvement in Year One of the Buzea Regime.  While Merrillville and Valpo have generally controlled the conference recently, the separation between the programs is not huge.  There are basically 3 competitive tiers in The DAC :

Tier 1 : Valpo and Merrillville

Tier 2 :  Michigan City, Laporte, Crown Point, Chesterton

Tier 3 : Portage and Lake Central

Buzea's short term goal will be to take control of Tier 2, and immediately start closing the gap between the Big 2 on top.

Last 5 seasons against Merrillville :  3-7 (all 3 wins coming in post season)

Last 5 seasons against Valpo : 1-5

Buzea was hired first to beat Merrillville and Valpo.  Bigger fish will come after he achieves those initial objectives.

Congratulations to your niece Emily and the Bulldogs on their state championship Saturday.  What an awesome team.  CP is going back to back in 2022.  You have to be one proud uncle.

Edited by Tommy

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Congratulations to your niece Emily and the Bulldogs on their state championship Saturday.  What an awesome team.  CP is going back to back in 2022.  You have to be one proud uncle.

It's quite a reach, but Emily has an opportunity to collect 6 state championships at the 4a level.  She will be a 3 year letter winner in both basketball and softball.  She's already caught big sis Caitlyn and has over 2 years to go.  She should break into the starting lineup next season.  

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

It's quite a reach, but Emily has an opportunity to collect 6 state championships at the 4a level.  She will be a 3 year letter winner in both basketball and softball.  She's already caught big sis Caitlyn and has over 2 years to go.  She should break into the starting lineup next season.  

Of the starting 5 only Allie Govert is graduating.  Chris Seibert has those girls clicking on all cylinders.

DT, for sure Crown Point has some work to do, I would say they are solid in most girls sports. But for tiers in the DAC, while Merrillville has been solid the past two years, no one should put them or any other DAC on the same level with Valpo. Valpo is clearly number one if you look over the past six years, it's not even close.  The past six years

1. Valparaiso 34-5
2. Merrillville 26-15
3. LaPorte 23-18
4. Michigan City 22-17
5. Chesterton 18-23
6. Portage 17-25
7. Lake Central 10-32

So there is a clear top and a clear bottom if you look at how they have performed in conference. I do think LaPorte and Chesterton will be solid this year, not sure about MC and Merrillville. Merrillville has a lot more holes to fill. 

1 hour ago, DACNUT said:

DT, for sure Crown Point has some work to do, I would say they are solid in most girls sports. But for tiers in the DAC, while Merrillville has been solid the past two years, no one should put them or any other DAC on the same level with Valpo. Valpo is clearly number one if you look over the past six years, it's not even close.  The past six years

1. Valparaiso 34-5
2. Merrillville 26-15
3. LaPorte 23-18
4. Michigan City 22-17
5. Chesterton 18-23
6. Portage 17-25
7. Lake Central 10-32

So there is a clear top and a clear bottom if you look at how they have performed in conference. I do think LaPorte and Chesterton will be solid this year, not sure about MC and Merrillville. Merrillville has a lot more holes to fill.

Just now, DT said:
1 hour ago, DACNUT said:

1. Valparaiso 34-5
2. Merrillville 26-15
3. LaPorte 23-18
4. Michigan City 22-17
5. Chesterton 18-23
6. Portage 17-25
7. Lake Central 10-32

Expand  

Good points.  And I see that Valpo also has beaten MV 5 straight.   Very impressive

I guess I could correct it and switch MC and LaPorte based on winning pct, but I'll leave it alone since LaPorte has taken the last two meetings if you include the sectional last year, both wins were in MC.

Edited by DACNUT