Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

On field rule changes you would like to see

What are a few on field rules that would to change or altered?

1 pass interference i like to see it change to a spot foul.

2 international grounding I would like to see it called more like college and pro.  

3 on kickoffs let the kids if they choice to play it out of the endzone and this a bigger point to this if the receiving team touch the ball in trying to field it and it goes to the endzone it should be a live ball the kicking team should be able to recover it.

1 hour ago, SuperQuickArtesians said:

I would love to see Indiana High School football be able to cut down field..

I cannot imagine why.

I would like to see fouls by the offense occurring behind the LOS enforced the way they are in NCAA, from the previous spot, rather than the spot of the foul.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SuperQuickArtesians said:

I would love to see Indiana High School football be able to cut down field..

As much I loved seeing WRs chopping down DBs in Paul Johnson’s offense, there’s no way this will happen (I believe it’s also been banned in the NCAA too). However, I do think the rules on legal cut blocks have become too restrictive. RBs should be able to cut in pass pro, TE/H-Backs on Slice blocks, and OL on LBs. But I must admit I’m heavily biased in this regard as a former OLinemen and heavy proponent of zone blocking. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

What are a few on field rules that would to change or altered?

1 pass interference i like to see it change to a spot foul.

2 international grounding I would like to see it called more like college and pro.  

3 on kickoffs let the kids if they choice to play it out of the endzone and this a bigger point to this if the receiving team touch the ball in trying to field it and it goes to the endzone it should be a live ball the kicking team should be able to recover it.

No way PI should be a spot foul. It’s the second worst called penalty behind only illegal man downfield. Officials don’t know how to call it correctly and penalize the DB and never the WR. They bail out the WR way too often and you can’t make it even more punitive. These bad PI calls have changed games. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cbc34 said:

No way PI should be a spot foul. It’s the second worst called penalty behind only illegal man downfield. Officials don’t know how to call it correctly and penalize the DB and never the WR. They bail out the WR way too often and you can’t make it even more punitive. These bad PI calls have changed games. 

You are welcome to take the test and give it a try yourself. Failing that, perhaps you could enlighten us all as to the “right” way to call - or not call - pass interference

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I would like to see the elimination of the present overtime format..  It isnt football. Its a scrimmage down.

Play a 5th quarter and then let regular season games end in a tie. 

Play postseason games to their conclusion no matter how long it takes...

This does give one a few points to ponder .

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

You are welcome to take the test and give it a try yourself. Failing that, perhaps you could enlighten us all as to the “right” way to call - or not call - pass interference

Plays happen so fast and it can be hard to make the right call.

1 minute ago, Goose Liver said:

The winner of the coin toss  comes out on top a high percentage of the time.

Good point.

3 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

1.  Use the NCAA overtime format.

2.  Allow an official to determine if a ball is catchable on a PI call.

3.  I agree the offensive penalty behind the LOS should not be a spot foul.

The rule is generally officiated this way already, and has been for a long time. Or, perhaps I should say “should be officiated this way.” We just don’t use the “uncatchable” signal.

Since picking of receivers is allowed by default 90% of the time, and since virtually all rules favor the offense and QB, I'd love to see DB's get 10 yards to excessively bump (except the face mask or horse collar)  let's level the playing field a bit.  That extra 5 yards levels it a lot the DL gets a real shot now at pressure.  

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

The rule is generally officiated this way already, and has been for a long time. Or, perhaps I should say “should be officiated this way.” We just don’t use the “uncatchable” signal.

If you asked me 4-5 years ago (could have been more, my mind is getting old) when the automatic first down for DPI was eliminated, I anticipated a ton of those calls inside the 10.  I assumed most DB's would take advantage and be extra aggressive.  It really hasn't happened IMO.  There's the occasional penalty - correctly called and assessed half the distance, but I really don't think it has changed the game. 

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CoachGallogly said:

Since picking of receivers is allowed by default 90% of the time, and since virtually all rules favor the offense and QB, I'd love to see DB's get 10 yards to excessively bump (except the face mask or horse collar)  let's level the playing field a bit.  That extra 5 yards levels it a lot the DL gets a real shot now at pressure.  

The 5 yd. contact rule is only in the NFL. In NF, a DB can freely contact a receiver anywhere on the field, as long as two conditions are met:

1. The ball is not yet in the air.

2. The receiver is in front of or even with the DB, so he's a potential blocker.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:08 AM, Bobref said:

I would agree, but I'd like to see it made official.  I do hope they continue to keep the intentional grounding rule and not go to the college/pro rule.  I hate seeing a DL or LB pressure a QB and they can just chuck the ball away to avoid a loss.  Those defenders work too hard to let a QB escape in this manner.

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

The 5 yd. contact rule is only in the NFL. In NF, a DB can freely contact a receiver anywhere on the field, as long as two conditions are met:

1. The ball is not yet in the air.

2. The receiver is in front of or even with the DB, so he's a potential blocker.

Im aware, I guess I thought we were talking all levels not just HS football. 

1 hour ago, CoachGallogly said:

Im aware, I guess I thought we were talking all levels not just HS football. 

I’ve no doubt you are aware, Coach. But on-field officials still occasionally hear calls to enforce the “5 yd. ‘chuck’ rule.” So, I wanted to make it clear to all reading this. Did not intend for it to come across otherwise.

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

I would agree, but I'd like to see it made official.  I do hope they continue to keep the intentional grounding rule and not go to the college/pro rule.  I hate seeing a DL or LB pressure a QB and they can just chuck the ball away to avoid a loss.  Those defenders work too hard to let a QB escape in this manner.

Since intentional grounding is a Point of Emphasis this year, it seems unlikely there’s a rule change in the offing anytime soon.