Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

On field rule changes you would like to see

56 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If face masking is a violation for the defense because the 'strike' of the hand to the head isnt safe, then there's no way on earth a running back stiff arming a defender above the neck or punching him open-handed in the mask is safe.

The foul is “grabbing the facemask.” It’s not the “strike” that the rule is trying to discourage. It’s the grabbing and twisting. And it’s not a head injury the rules makers are trying to protect against. It’s a neck injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The foul is “grabbing the facemask.” It’s not the “strike” that the rule is trying to discourage. It’s the grabbing and twisting. And it’s not a head injury the rules makers are trying to protect against. It’s a neck injury.

But Bob, the question still stands.

A strike to the head that, I might agree, hurts the neck more than the head.?  Its dangerous under any definition.  Why is it legal for an offensive player to do that?. Its taught. Its cheered.

But a defensive player cannot do basically the same thing by grabbing the facemask. Linemen who jack up the heads of the offensive linemen on the pass rush get the yellow flag. 

You see it up close where the running back goes straight to the head of the defender and jacks his head back.  Stiff are the shoulder pad. Stiff are his chest.   The stiff arm to the head is not anywhere near safe. 

That rule must change. 

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That rule must change.

I don’t see that there’s a problem. The rules already prohibit any player from striking an opponent “with his fist, locked hands, forearm or elbow, nor kick or knee him.” An open-handed strike to the facemask — a “stiff arm” — does not present a serious risk of head injury unless the runner is some sort of Kung Fu master. It’s not at all analogous to a defender grabbing and twisting the runner’s facemask.

I can honestly say in all the football I’ve seen, I’ve never seen a tackler suffer a head injury as a result of a stiff arm.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t see that there’s a problem. The rules already prohibit any player from striking an opponent “with his fist, locked hands, forearm or elbow, nor kick or knee him.” An open-handed strike to the facemask — a “stiff arm” — does not present a serious risk of head injury unless the runner is some sort of Kung Fu master. It’s not at all analogous to a defender grabbing and twisting the runner’s facemask.

I can honestly say in all the football I’ve seen, I’ve never seen a tackler suffer a head injury as a result of a stiff arm.

Ahh for the old forearm shiver!

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

Bob,

Then allow defenders to face mask offensive players because while  I am not on the playing field like you,  I watch games only from the sidelines and I can honestly say that I have never seen a player injured (that I knew of)  from a defender grabbing an offensive player's  facemask.   Have you?

Its just the cumulative affect of hitting someone in the head. If its bad for the offensive player, its just as bad for the defensive player. And offensive players grab the defender's facemask all the time. It just isnt called if they let go quickly..

Like I said.  In another era, you could pull the head gear off an offensive player and it wasn't a foul.  Rules change. 

20 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

No. And no Mickey Mouse shootout like soccer.

Id play a 5th quarter, Gip. Just like basketball..  Recreate the final quarter and let both teams go at it. 

If the game is tied after the 5th quarter, let it end in a tie. Both sides earned it.

great points!