Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Deshaun Watson - From the Penthouse to ?

Bobref

• 1 month later...

Well, Watson got a 6 game suspension for his off-field behavior.  What does everyone think? Appropriate? Consistent?  NFL next steps?

Some recent updates about his "towel"habit.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2022/08/02/deshaun-watson-towel-trick-key-evidence-nfl-suspension/10205405002/

NYTimes report how the Texans played a big role and includes that he met at least 66 women for massages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html

Browns owner says Watson is remorseful, while Watson publicly states he has no regrets

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-statement-on-remorseful-deshaun-watson-contradicts-q-bs-words-judge-robinsons-conclusion-232058538.html

As ugly and unseemly as it all is, and everyone involved is dirty…the owners/front office people (especially in Houston), the escor….ooops, massage “therapists”, and of course, Watson himself. The critical piece in all of this is the two occasions that prosecutors tried charging him, and failed to bring a single charge. Something like 45 witnesses testified before the grand jury, and ZERO indictments. So what do you do if you are the NFL? This is likely the most they could do. Maybe an additional game or two? They probably wanted to avoid an appeal as well. Watson got off easy in so many ways (see what I did there? 😂😎) in this whole thing. Not sure if he will appeal this or not, stupid move if he does. 

• Like 1

Did the NFL “pull its punches” in [not] producing evidence at the hearing? Seems to me they ended up pretty well off compared to the potential downside. One of their franchise players will be back on the field for 2/3 of the season. And the league came out of it appearing to press for more severe punishment, and with a convenient fall guy in the person of the arbitrator.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irishman said:

As ugly and unseemly as it all is, and everyone involved is dirty…the owners/front office people (especially in Houston), the escor….ooops, massage “therapists”, and of course, Watson himself. The critical piece in all of this is the two occasions that prosecutors tried charging him, and failed to bring a single charge. Something like 45 witnesses testified before the grand jury, and ZERO indictments. So what do you do if you are the NFL? This is likely the most they could do. Maybe an additional game or two? They probably wanted to avoid an appeal as well. Watson got off easy in so many ways (see what I did there? 😂😎) in this whole thing. Not sure if he will appeal this or not, stupid move if he does. 

Well, the NFL claimed it wanted an indefinite suspension which was a year minimum.  I want to believe this since Big Ben received 6 games for a single alleged incident.  But Bobref may be exactly right....the NFL looks better because they claimed they wanted a stiffer penalty (see what I did there?) but they will settle and make the former judge the scapegoat.  

I thought the closing in this Yahoo Sports article was an interesting take.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/by-sue-robinsons-own-findings-there-was-nothing-non-violent-about-deshaun-watsons-conduct-220215808.html

Robinson wrote that she believed the NFL’s contention that Watson “had a sexual purpose — not just a therapeutic purpose — in making these arrangements.”

She wrote that Watson knew “the sexualized contact was unwanted.”

She wrote that Watson had committed sexual assault as defined by the NFL.

She wrote that Watson still shows no remorse, acted with “reckless disregard for the consequences,” and that his pattern of conduct is “more egregious than any before reviewed by the NFL.”

She thinks Watson is such a danger that she wants him, for the remainder of his career, to get massages only through his team or with a team-approved therapist.

To some of us, that sounds like a predator, someone who knows what they’re doing is wrong, does it anyway and could do it again in the future.

And yet given all of this, Robinson gave Watson what amounts to a slap on the wrist.

His non-throwing one at that.

• Like 1

The 6 game suspension was an arbitrator's ruling. I saw this from today:

Again, I believe the sticking point for the case is zero indictments. 

"NFL is appealing for an indefinite suspension that would be a minimum of one year. But perhaps more significant given the structure of Watson's contract, source tells me the NFL's appeal will also include a monetary fine. Money is now a significant part of the equation."

Guess Watson and his lawyer are taking a different approach following Judge Robinson's written statement's indicating he has shown no remorse.  Just a few days ago after her ruling, Watson stated he had no regrets.

Time for a different approach I guess......he finally apologizes to all the women he has impacted.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watson-apologizes-to-all-of-the-women-that-i-have-impacted-browns-suspension-232445332.html

Sit out a year Deshaun....hope it is even longer.....

Edited by Bash Riprock