Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Deshaun Watson - From the Penthouse to ?

Bobref

21 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

This morning Watson has lost endorsement deals to Nike and Beats by Dre, assume his other deals (Rolex among others) will get nixed too.

News like this is what made me say earlier that if he could settle all 22 claims for $100K per, he should jump at it right now. 

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

There has always been the “court of public opinion.”  It’s just easier to find out what the jurors are thinking these days. 

LOL. Honestly, I've seen more about it on this site than I have on any other social media site. Although I actually only frequent 3 including this one, I do have quite a few friends and family from Houston. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around someone who has a need to use at least 40 different masseuses. Where they do that at? Personally, I've never even used 1.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around someone who has a need to use at least 40 different masseuses.

That we know of. I mean, that can’t be normal, can it? If you’re a pro athlete, and massage is part of your fitness regimen, aren’t you going to find the best and stick with him/her? He doesn’t go to a dozen different doctors or dentists, I bet. Very weird.

• Like 1

Watson’s attorney has started the process of attempting to obtain the names of the plaintiffs accusing him. In a normal civil lawsuit, the first thing that happens after the complaint is filed is the defendant’s filing of an answer to the allegations of the complaint. But that hasn’t happened yet here, and won’t for quite some time. Without knowing the plaintiffs’ names, it’s impossible for Watson to accurately answer the complaints, let alone conduct the exhaustive discovery that will, no doubt, follow.

I expect the judge will order disclosure of the names, but in restricted fashion, under what’s called a “protective order.” The order will set out conditions for allowing Watson to do the discovery and investigation he needs to defend himself, while attempting to protect the plaintiffs as much as possible.

Of course, it won’t work. Unless the cases settle quickly, the names will become known. There are going to be too many people involved to keep the names secret for very long. It’s going to be a real sh*t show if it doesn’t get ended quickly.

One other observation: the statement from Watson’s attorney that Watson didn’t “force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will,” is potentially a signal that Watson’s defense will be that the acts were consensual. That creates another issue: it may, if believed, allow him to escape criminal and civil legal problems. But it won’t square him with the NFL’s personal conduct policy, and it won’t get him his endorsements back. According to Forbes, Watson made about $8 million off the field last season. If he admits to having some sort of sexual contact with 20+ women to whom he paid money, he’s going to end up with a lengthy suspension. I would guess at least a year. A year’s salary, lost endorsements, civil settlements, legal fees, etc. you might be talking about a total loss of over $50 million! Those better have been pretty good massages.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watsons-attorney-seeks-identities-of-civil-accusers-says-qb-is-victim-of-trial-by-press-conference-202504773.html

Deshaun Watson’s attorney seeks identities of civil accusers, says QB is victim of 'trial by press conference'

HOUSTON — In a motion that represents the first legal cannon shot aimed at defending Deshaun Watson, the attorney for the Houston Texans quarterback asked a judge on Thursday to compel one of Watson’s still-anonymous accusers to shed a protective “Jane Doe” pseudonym and refile her civil lawsuit under her legal name.

The legal brief filed by Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, was directed at the seventh woman to bring a civil case against the quarterback. It represents what is expected to ultimately be a more sweeping move to force the remaining 20 “Jane Doe” plaintiffs to reveal themselves in court filings. As it stands, two of Watson’s accusers — Ashley Solis and Lauren Baxley — have already revealed their identities, doing so in statements delivered at a Tuesday news conference arranged by their attorney, Tony Buzbee. Each of the 22 women who have filed civil suits have done so with Buzbee acting as their legal representation.

In a statement provided to the media on the heels of the motion, Hardin said that Watson didn’t “force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will.”

Hardin’s media statement:

“We have said this before and we want to say it again: Deshaun did not force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will. When we asked Mr. Buzbee to identify his clients weeks ago, he refused and told us to file a motion. Today we filed that motion. As discussed in our filing, Mr. Buzbee’s use of anonymous lawsuits violates Texas law and the basic concept of fairness. It is clear that, for Mr. Buzbee, this case has never been about seeking justice in a courtroom, but destroying Deshaun’s reputation to enhance his own public profile and enrich himself. While I understand that anonymity often is used as a shield for victims, Mr. Buzbee is using it as a sword. While shielding his clients from public scrutiny, Mr. Buzbee continues to use their anonymous allegations to destroy Mr. Watson. This is simply not right. And we look forward to resolving these matters in court.”

In his legal motion, Hardin criticizes Buzbee for his attacks on Watson, which have included a multitude of allegations in Buzbee’s legal filings. He has alleged that the quarterback committed sexual assault, displayed harassing behavior, deleted social media messages and made attempts to settle some of the complaints against him. Hardin also suggested that the women do not have the legal backing to make civil accusations about Watson while continuing to conceal their identities, stating that only minors can have their names shielded from the public during civil suits alleging sexual assault.

“[Buzbee’s] incessant public attacks on Mr. Watson have not stopped,” Hardin’s motion states. “Lacking the desire to present his case in a court of law — where concepts of fundamental fairness apply — Mr. Buzbee is intent on conducting discovery by Facebook and trial by press conference. He is asking the public to act as judge and jury without ever allowing Mr. Watson to responsibly respond. Because [Buzbee] filed the actions anonymously, Mr. Watson’s counsel can only speculate about [the accuser’s] identity.”

Hardin goes on to argue that the anonymity would leave Watson guessing at the identity of his accusers and that raises the risk of involuntarily drawing an innocent person into a “media frenzy” if the quarterback guesses incorrectly and publicly names the wrong person while defending himself. 

Hardin is asking a judge to give Watson a chance to publicly address his accuser — and likely all of his accusers, if this motion is granted — while using their real names and corresponding background information that would provide a defense.

“Mr. Buzbee, hiding behind this anonymity, has attempted to try this case in the court of public opinion rather than in a court of law,” the filing reads. “He has held multiple press conferences and selectively released misleading excerpts of alleged evidence to the public regarding the allegations made in this case. Mr. Buzbee has consistently used social media posts to thrust the allegations of this case into public view. He begs people to reserve judgement about his clients, while deliberately and publicly attacking Mr. Watson and seeking to get the public at large to rush to judgment. Only when it seemingly benefits his public display does he selectively release crumbs of information about his clients.”

Hardin has asked the court to consider Watson’s motion and compel the refiling of “Jane Doe No. 7” in expedited fashion. If the motion is granted, it’s expected Hardin will seek for all of the anonymous civil suits to be refiled with the legal names of the accusers attached.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Watson’s attorney has started the process of attempting to obtain the names of the plaintiffs accusing him. In a normal civil lawsuit, the first thing that happens after the complaint is filed is the defendant’s filing of an answer to the allegations of the complaint. But that hasn’t happened yet here, and won’t for quite some time. Without knowing the plaintiffs’ names, it’s impossible for Watson to accurately answer the complaints, let alone conduct the exhaustive discovery that will, no doubt, follow.

I expect the judge will order disclosure of the names, but in restricted fashion, under what’s called a “protective order.” The order will set out conditions for allowing Watson to do the discovery and investigation he needs to defend himself, while attempting to protect the plaintiffs as much as possible.

Of course, it won’t work. Unless the cases settle quickly, the names will become known. There are going to be too many people involved to keep the names secret for very long. It’s going to be a real sh*t show if it doesn’t get ended quickly.

One other observation: the statement from Watson’s attorney that Watson didn’t “force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will,” is potentially a signal that Watson’s defense will be that the acts were consensual. That creates another issue: it may, if believed, allow him to escape criminal and civil legal problems. But it won’t square him with the NFL’s personal conduct policy, and it won’t get him his endorsements back. According to Forbes, Watson made about $8 million off the field last season. If he admits to having some sort of sexual contact with 20+ women to whom he paid money, he’s going to end up with a lengthy suspension. I would guess at least a year. A year’s salary, lost endorsements, civil settlements, legal fees, etc. you might be talking about a total loss of over $50 million! Those better have been pretty good massages.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watsons-attorney-seeks-identities-of-civil-accusers-says-qb-is-victim-of-trial-by-press-conference-202504773.html

Deshaun Watson’s attorney seeks identities of civil accusers, says QB is victim of 'trial by press conference'

HOUSTON — In a motion that represents the first legal cannon shot aimed at defending Deshaun Watson, the attorney for the Houston Texans quarterback asked a judge on Thursday to compel one of Watson’s still-anonymous accusers to shed a protective “Jane Doe” pseudonym and refile her civil lawsuit under her legal name.

The legal brief filed by Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, was directed at the seventh woman to bring a civil case against the quarterback. It represents what is expected to ultimately be a more sweeping move to force the remaining 20 “Jane Doe” plaintiffs to reveal themselves in court filings. As it stands, two of Watson’s accusers — Ashley Solis and Lauren Baxley — have already revealed their identities, doing so in statements delivered at a Tuesday news conference arranged by their attorney, Tony Buzbee. Each of the 22 women who have filed civil suits have done so with Buzbee acting as their legal representation.

In a statement provided to the media on the heels of the motion, Hardin said that Watson didn’t “force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will.”

Hardin’s media statement:

“We have said this before and we want to say it again: Deshaun did not force, coerce or intimidate anyone to do anything against their will. When we asked Mr. Buzbee to identify his clients weeks ago, he refused and told us to file a motion. Today we filed that motion. As discussed in our filing, Mr. Buzbee’s use of anonymous lawsuits violates Texas law and the basic concept of fairness. It is clear that, for Mr. Buzbee, this case has never been about seeking justice in a courtroom, but destroying Deshaun’s reputation to enhance his own public profile and enrich himself. While I understand that anonymity often is used as a shield for victims, Mr. Buzbee is using it as a sword. While shielding his clients from public scrutiny, Mr. Buzbee continues to use their anonymous allegations to destroy Mr. Watson. This is simply not right. And we look forward to resolving these matters in court.”

In his legal motion, Hardin criticizes Buzbee for his attacks on Watson, which have included a multitude of allegations in Buzbee’s legal filings. He has alleged that the quarterback committed sexual assault, displayed harassing behavior, deleted social media messages and made attempts to settle some of the complaints against him. Hardin also suggested that the women do not have the legal backing to make civil accusations about Watson while continuing to conceal their identities, stating that only minors can have their names shielded from the public during civil suits alleging sexual assault.

“[Buzbee’s] incessant public attacks on Mr. Watson have not stopped,” Hardin’s motion states. “Lacking the desire to present his case in a court of law — where concepts of fundamental fairness apply — Mr. Buzbee is intent on conducting discovery by Facebook and trial by press conference. He is asking the public to act as judge and jury without ever allowing Mr. Watson to responsibly respond. Because [Buzbee] filed the actions anonymously, Mr. Watson’s counsel can only speculate about [the accuser’s] identity.”

Hardin goes on to argue that the anonymity would leave Watson guessing at the identity of his accusers and that raises the risk of involuntarily drawing an innocent person into a “media frenzy” if the quarterback guesses incorrectly and publicly names the wrong person while defending himself. 

Hardin is asking a judge to give Watson a chance to publicly address his accuser — and likely all of his accusers, if this motion is granted — while using their real names and corresponding background information that would provide a defense.

“Mr. Buzbee, hiding behind this anonymity, has attempted to try this case in the court of public opinion rather than in a court of law,” the filing reads. “He has held multiple press conferences and selectively released misleading excerpts of alleged evidence to the public regarding the allegations made in this case. Mr. Buzbee has consistently used social media posts to thrust the allegations of this case into public view. He begs people to reserve judgement about his clients, while deliberately and publicly attacking Mr. Watson and seeking to get the public at large to rush to judgment. Only when it seemingly benefits his public display does he selectively release crumbs of information about his clients.”

Hardin has asked the court to consider Watson’s motion and compel the refiling of “Jane Doe No. 7” in expedited fashion. If the motion is granted, it’s expected Hardin will seek for all of the anonymous civil suits to be refiled with the legal names of the accusers attached.

Programs get your programs, you don't know the players without a program.

20 hours ago, Bobref said:

That we know of. I mean, that can’t be normal, can it? If you’re a pro athlete, and massage is part of your fitness regimen, aren’t you going to find the best and stick with him/her? He doesn’t go to a dozen different doctors or dentists, I bet. Very weird.

I was watching the Sox Opening Day pre-game yesterday, and they announced just about everyone.

They have a professional masseuse on staff.  Besides the "star" players and the Sod Father, she got the loudest applause BY FAR.  

Funny.....I remember ole Dabo swearing the GREATNESS of Watson....even comparing him to Michael Jordan.

Dude sure has been quiet about his former "star" QB.

This case continues to develop in a fascinating way. The plaintiffs’ names will be disclosed publicly. One plaintiff chose to dismiss the lawsuit “for now” rather than be identified. But another filed a new suit. But the most interesting development is that Watson’s attorney has given us some insight into their defense strategy. He has said that there were “some consensual acts.” So, at least as to some of the lawsuits, Watson is going to claim that there were consensual sex acts. Raising that defense probably gives him the best chance to stay out of jail, but probably gets him in real hot water as far as the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31258019/women-amend-lawsuits-vs-houston-texans-deshaun-watson-disclose-names-1-plaintiff-withdraws-suit-now

Edited by Bobref

• 1 month later...

It now appears that depositions in these cases will begin in September, and that depositions of the 22 accusers will be completed before Watson has to give his deposition. I heard he will not have to testify at least until February, when the season is over. This is a tactical victory for the defense because he will hear what they all have to say before he is placed under oath. I have not read anything about a “gag” order (no pun intended) being imposed, and that would be highly unusual in a civil case. So, as these women testify, details of their testimony are going to leak out. Probably just about the time the season gets underway. 

I find it interesting that Watson doesn’t have to testify until the season is over ... but the odds are no better than 50-50 that he will play at all. Between his demand that the Texans trade him — and the fact that he’s radioactive now means that’s unlikely to happen — and the looming Commissioner’s exempt list, there’s a good chance he never sees the field this year.

• 2 months later...

I see where he has reported to camp, which is a no brainer.  If he didn't, he would likely be fined (up to) $50,000.00 per day.  He still wants to be traded.  Ok.  Will there be any teams that want to trade for his baggage?

My guess is no.  If teams have not by now, they won't.....UNLESS, they can get him dirt cheap.

• 7 months later...

Seems to be significant that EIGHT of the women suing him appeared before the grand jury……so NONE of their claims were credible enough for charges? 

I do believe there was one here who was skeptical from the start. I cannot remember who though. 

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

Seems to be significant that EIGHT of the women suing him appeared before the grand jury……so NONE of their claims were credible enough for charges? 

I do believe there was one here who was skeptical from the start. I cannot remember who though. 

Had he been indicted, I think his career might have been over. Because the burden of proof in a criminal case is so much more exacting than a civil case, a criminal conviction — even a guilty plea as part of an agreement — can be used by the victim as pretty much conclusive evidence in the civil case. But the grand jury’s failure to indict has no legal effect on the civil cases. They will go forward. And waiting at the end of that tunnel is the NFL. Let the depositions begin. And by that I mean the depositions of the claimants. Watson’s deposition was taken yesterday, and all he did was take the Fifth, unsurprisingly.

Let me add that Watson’s taking the Fifth in his deposition is significant. Texas, like most states, permits an “adverse inference” when a party takes the Fifth in a civil proceeding. That means that if a civil case goes to trial, the jury will be instructed that the defendant invoked his Fifth Amendment rights and, as a result, the jury may assume that if he had answered the questions truthfully, the answers would be unfavorable to his case.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Had he been indicted, I think his career might have been over. Because the burden of proof in a criminal case is so much more exacting than a civil case, a criminal conviction — even a guilty plea as part of an agreement — can be used by the victim as pretty much conclusive evidence in the civil case. But the grand jury’s failure to indict has no legal effect on the civil cases. They will go forward. And waiting at the end of that tunnel is the NFL. Let the depositions begin. And by that I mean the depositions of the claimants. Watson’s deposition was taken yesterday, and all he did was take the Fifth, unsurprisingly.

This information helps all of us understand. Thanks Bob. 

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Let me add that Watson’s taking the Fifth in his deposition is significant. Texas, like most states, permits an “adverse inference” when a party takes the Fifth in a civil proceeding. That means that if a civil case goes to trial, the jury will be instructed that the defendant invoked his Fifth Amendment rights and, as a result, the jury may assume that if he had answered the questions truthfully, the answers would be unfavorable to his case.

From what you have gathered from afar, would you think the civil case goes to trial or that he settles out of court, and this never goes to trial?

1 hour ago, DE said:

This information helps all of us understand. Thanks Bob. 

From what you have gathered from afar, would you think the civil case goes to trial or that he settles out of court, and this never goes to trial?

I can’t imagine a set of circumstances where Watson doesn’t do everything in his power to prevent any of these cases from ever seeing the light of day.

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I can’t imagine a set of circumstances where Watson doesn’t do everything in his power to prevent any of these cases from ever seeing the light of day.

Theoretically, these ladies can "break"/"destroy" him financially?  Would that be a fair to assume?

29 minutes ago, DE said:

Theoretically, these ladies can "break"/"destroy" him financially?  Would that be a fair to assume?

No idea what his financial situation. But these lawsuits will have 6 figure settlements. Some of those claim some pretty egregious stuff. Those might be more. We’ll never know for sure, because of the confidentiality provisions that will undoubtedly accompany the settlement agreements.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

No idea what his financial situation. But these lawsuits will have 6 figure settlements. Some of those claim some pretty egregious stuff. Those might be more. We’ll never know for sure, because of the confidentiality provisions that will undoubtedly accompany the settlement agreements.

Oh. We will know. It just won’t be made public. 

So, a grand jury declines to indict Watson on criminal charges. His reward? A $230 million contract, fully guaranteed. I found it interesting that his contract with the Browns is a 5 yr. deal, but his base salary in year 1 is only $1 million. I assume that’s because they know he’s going to be suspended at least part of that year, so the salary he doesn’t get when he’s suspended will be insignificant compared to the rest of the contract.

NFL, the ball is now in your court, so to speak.