Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is there a coaching shortage brewing?

Guest DT

5 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

I think you are correct, but this may also lead to an even bigger coaching shortage.  If you are asking a HC and one assistant to do the work of what was done by 4-5, burnout is going to get very real.  I think we are already seeing it and it does not look like a situation that will improve any time soon.

Will the pendulum ever swing back the other way?  What causes that shift?  

3 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

Most of these things are cyclical but there may be a few trends in our area pointing towards a swing back towards high school sports and their importance.  Look at the Elkhart county schools? many have added turf fields, weight room additions and improvements in many of the schools, and it seems more coaches in the buildings for football than we have in Saint Joseph County.  SJ County, as usual is behind the 8-bal but the signs of life are there : Penn's huge upgrades, SBCSC putting turf at School Field, and the "new" Saint Joe facilities.  It may be a slow process, but hopefully the pendulum does swing back in favor of high school sports and football, in particular.

I hope at some point kids and parents start to realize that the pageantry, buzz, the big deal in town, etc.   All that stuff is synonymous with high school sports.  You'll never recreate that with travel athletics.  (Insert whiny voice): "Well I play travel....."    

Great kid, how did it feel to score the game winner in front of a parents only crowd of people you don't really know?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

I hope at some point kids and parents start to realize that the pageantry, buzz, the big deal in town, etc.   All that stuff is synonymous with high school sports.  You'll never recreate that with travel athletics.  (Insert whiny voice): "Well I play travel....."    

Great kid, how did it feel to score the game winner in front of a parents only crowd of people you don't really know?  

"It was awesome! We left Wednesday from New Carlisle for Evansville on Wednesday, so we needed 4 nights in a hotel....but it was so worth it to beat Laporte in the semi-finals and  South Bend West in the championship!"

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

"It was awesome! We left Wednesday from New Carlisle for Evansville on Wednesday, so we needed 4 nights in a hotel....but it was so worth it to beat Laporte in the semi-finals and  South Bend West in the championship!"

My favorite was a local SW Indiana team won a "National Championship" game by beating a team from the across the river in Kentucky.  Sorry, but winning a tournament featuring teams that are all from less than a 2.5 hour drive hardly constitutes a national championship.

But they got some really cool Cracker Jack rings. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

My favorite was a local SW Indiana team won a "National Championship" game by beating a team from the across the river in Kentucky.  Sorry, but winning a tournament featuring teams that are all from less than a 2.5 hour drive hardly constitutes a national championship.

I have personally seen these kids participate on travel/pop warner teams and be done w/ athletics by middle school.

4 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

This is another indication that contraction is coming in the future.  Schools that have chronic coaching turnover rarely have sustained success, if any success at all.  If Im an AD and I have a chronically failing football program and I am restaffing every two years, Im going to consider contraction.

Indiana football across the board would benefit from a general downsizing to 280 participating schools.  The worst of the worst programs would go away, and officiating and coaching shortages would be mitigated.  

3 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

3 hours ago, SBFootball1 said:

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

1 hour ago, DE said:

I have personally seen these kids participate on travel/pop warner teams and be done w/ athletics by middle school.

Not sure of the disdain for travel programs.  My boys have played travel baseball since they were 9.  The oldest is now 14.  He plays baseball/football for Harrison and will play club/travel ball during the summer.  When he played travel baseball ... he's played on a Lafayette-area team, a team that feeds into LCC, and also in one that has a lot of Harrison kids ... he still played football for LCC's youth program.  The youngest played football in LCC's youth program and will continue in Harrison's youth program once the COVID funk lifts.  He plays travel/club ball for Harrison-related programs and is already, as a 4th grader, talking about following in his brothers footsteps at Harrison for football and baseball.

A part of it is highly tied to keeping kids balanced and, at least in my opinion, finding the right types of travel teams.

1 hour ago, Goose Liver said:

There is that burn out factor!

What I run into is kids who are chronically over worked and under trained.  They walk into a Monday morning weights session in the summer and are so sore, tight, and tired they can't move.

BUT, that doesn't stop them from trying to go to 3 basketball open gyms, 3 weights sessions, a collegiate camp, and play 5-9 "travel" baseball or basketball games over the course of a week in the summer.   Then parents of the 5'9" 150 lb young lad can't understand why he doesn't get more playing time for his high school teams, after all, his travel coach says he is the BEST and he plays all the time! 

5 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

What I run into is kids who are chronically over worked and under trained.  They walk into a Monday morning weights session in the summer and are so sore, tight, and tired they can't move.

BUT, that doesn't stop them from trying to go to 3 basketball open gyms, 3 weights sessions, a collegiate camp, and play 5-9 "travel" baseball or basketball games over the course of a week in the summer.   Then parents of the 5'9" 150 lb young lad can't understand why he doesn't get more playing time for his high school teams, after all, his travel coach says he is the BEST and he plays all the time! 

Travel ball is a tool of the devil... prove me wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Goose Liver said:

Travel ball is a tool of the devil... prove me wrong!

Both of my boys play travel ball, both are altar servers, ... and neither has burst into flames when serving Mass.  🙂

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Both of my boys play travel ball, both are altar servers, ... and neither has burst into flames when serving Mass.  🙂

Just dont let them join a local band called Spontaneous Combustion 😁

3 hours ago, Goose Liver said:

That statement was made by Mama Bochet... she was always talking about the devil.  

Ohhh ... that's not the Devil, that's the Debbil.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Goose Liver said:

Good observation... lots of schools could not operate a program without outsiders, sometimes volunteers participating.

Chatard’s head football coach the last 3 seasons is a partner at a law firm....he’s lost 2 games the last 2 seasons.  He’s far from the only head coach there from outside the building (or even the teaching profession).

32 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Chatard’s head football coach the last 3 seasons is a partner at a law firm....he’s lost 2 games the last 2 seasons.  He’s far from the only head coach there from outside the building (or even the teaching profession).

It is a VERY impressive accomplishment for a lawyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

And a very accomplished and well-respected attorney at that. https://www.duedoyle.com/attorney-profiles/robert-j-doyle

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lysander said:

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe, by chance?

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been thinking about going back to school and becoming a teacher. Most likely would want to be an upper elementary to middle school range teacher. I've got an associate's in a field that I'm not currently working in at the moment. The plan was to work for a bit and then go on to a bachelor's but life happened instead. Would it be worth my time to pursue the bachelor's for a teaching degree? How would my credits translate for my associate's as I work towards a bachelor's? I work with our youth program in an administration and coaching role. I wouldn't mind being able to work my way up the ranks to help a middle school, then high school, and possibly having a major role for a high school in the future.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

Finish the Bachelor's with an Education emphasis, shoot for a Transition to Teaching program at one of the local universities.

Most likely would have to do it in the state I reside correct?