Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Live from Illinois, it's Friday night!

I was driving the Gippermobile on Friday night at about 8:00 pm looking for the perfect song on the radio when I hit 94.1 FM (WGFA-FM out of Watseka, IL).   I heard commentary on a football game.  This was live and being covered by the media, pretty cool.

Edited by Gipper

Grand Valley State had their signing day show a month ago and the coaches said they had only the Illinois players junior highlight videos to do their recruiting.  They also said they are going to Illinois this spring not only to watch their recruits but also scout the underclass man.

• Like 1

Craig Buzea's HF team got whipped 42-14 in their season opener against Lincoln Way West out of Frankfort

Wonder if it's a challenge for Buzz to stay focused with what's waiting ahead at Crown Point

9 hours ago, RedwoodCowTippers said:

Is the IHSA gonna have playoffs this year, or just play a few games and call it good?

No playoffs.  Illinois is a six game schedule only - most teams are staying in the their local region.  They might have to play within a designated group of counties as well.  That was proposed but I'm not sure if it was the final rule.  

On 3/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, DT said:

Craig Buzea's HF team got whipped 42-14 in their season opener against Lincoln Way West out of Frankfort

Wonder if it's a challenge for Buzz to stay focused with what's waiting ahead at Crown Point

Big win last Friday, though.  31-0 over Lockport.  Lincoln Way is a monster in Illinois.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Big win last Friday, though.  31-0 over Lockport.  Lincoln Way is a monster in 

Just now, regionfbdude said:
4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Big win last Friday, though.  31-0 over Lockport.  Lincoln Way is a monster in 

Both wrong. I attended both games. H-F won the opener vs. Lockport 41-14 and lost to Lincoln Way East 31-0 after a close first half. H-F is playing with a very small roster (in the mid 40’s) due to several of their best players graduating at mid term and are participating in College Spring Ball including their MVP from last year who is at Cincinnati. They also have several baseball and basketball kids that chose not  to come out because those seasons are playing at the same time and some pretty significant injuries to their O-Line. I saw where he was quoted after the game that they were forced to start two back up RB’s on the O-line this past week. Not your typical H-F team but I’m sure they will be competitive for what they have. Not sure it has anything to do with him taking the CP job. 

2 hours ago, regionfbdude said:

Both wrong. I attended both games. H-F won the opener vs. Lockport 41-14 and lost to Lincoln Way East 31-0 after a close first half. H-F is playing with a very small roster (in the mid 40’s) due to several of their best players graduating at mid term and are participating in College Spring Ball including their MVP from last year who is at Cincinnati. They also have several baseball and basketball kids that chose not  to come out because those seasons are playing at the same time and some pretty significant injuries to their O-Line. I saw where he was quoted after the game that they were forced to start two back up RB’s on the O-line this past week. Not your typical H-F team but I’m sure they will be competitive for what they have. Not sure it has anything to do with him taking the CP job. 

It has everything to do with him taking the CP job.  Many people are genuinely concerned about Buzz' health situation and are wishing him the best upon his return to The Region.  I doubt you would have attended either game had he not been coming home 

Youve got to think that the impact that Covid has had on the HF roster was likely a big factor in Buzeas decision to leave.  It might take years for HF to get back to tjhe level they were used to playing at

Edited by DT

4 hours ago, regionfbdude said:

True, I reversed the scores....H-F won on March 19 and lost on March 26.

Thanks for the update

• 2 weeks later...

My son is an Illinois freshman playing football this spring.  Most teams are playing 6 games, with no playoffs.  The odd thing is the lack of JV football teams.  Most schools have less players this year, which has lead to more schools not having a JV team.  My son's school is one of only 3 schools in our area (and conference of 😎 to have a full JV roster.  Other schools seem to have taking most of their Sophomore, and even some Juniors, and put them together with the freshman.  So far, all three games my son has played are against JV/Freshman teams.  

Going to be beneficial for this group of freshman as they move into their Sophomore year, but tough sledding right now.