Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Draft/Trade/Free Agency

Bobref

In case anyone is wondering, Slater’s father just declared for the NBA draft and he is slated to go early round 1. 

Slater is 6-4 and his dad DWARFED him!  Holy cow!  

Like the fields/bears pick at 11. I thought they’d move up to 5/6 (wasn’t too far off). 

How long does Fields remain a Chicago QB?  Is this a piece to get Wilson from Seattle?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE said:

In case anyone is wondering, Slater’s father just declared for the NBA draft and he is slated to go early round 1. 

Like the fields/bears pick at 11. I thought they’d move up to 5/6 (wasn’t too far off). 

How long does Fields remain a Chicago QB?  Is this a piece to get Wilson from Seattle?

I actually think Fields was a much better pick than Trubisky.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DE said:

My prediction for the Bears 1st round...

A) Swap picks w/ the Bengals and toss in a later round pick.  The Bears will then draft Justin Fields (or Mac Jones---whomever the 49'ers don't pick).

5) Cincinnati Bengals

Trade the 20th pick for Tua

6) Miami Dolphins (from PHI)

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Did not see that coming! But I am all in on Justin Fields! When the dust clears, the Bears may well have made the move of the entire draft here.

Either did I.     From what I have seen/heard, Nagy while with KC was very much all in on Watson, Mahomes, then Trib.....  

I am very jaded on Nagy, justifiably so, as his biggest down flaw as an NFL HC has been waiting to long to dumb down the offense when it was clear that Mitch couldn't do it his true way Nagy had hoped, he wasted too many games trying to fit Square peg, round hole.   His stubbornness still drives me crazy, he has  7 months here to earn my trust back as an NFL coach, Getting Fields and minimal cost 1/5 in 21, 1/4 in 22' is quite a start in that direction.   

Let's get RONDALE at 52!!  

55 minutes ago, DE said:

Good call pal.....   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Observations after Day 1 of the draft:

• What’s the over/under on how long it will take Justin Fields to supplant the Red Rifle in Chicago? I make it 8 1/2 games.
  • The Raiders continued their tradition of reaching in the first round, taking the Alabama OT who was rated as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect by most.
  • Somehow, the Patriots ended up with the QB who is a great fit for their system. The haters are still trying to figure out how Belichek masterminded that one. They know he cheated. They just don’t know how.
  • The Cowboys will pair #1 pick Micah Parsons with Jaylon Smith to create the fastest pair of linebackers in the league.
  • Love the Steelers’ #1 pick Najee Harris as a player ... but taking a RB in the first round is of questionable value. They certainly need to find a running game to protect Big Ben. But with the retirement of Marquis Pouncey, they should have bolstered the running game by addressing the offensive line first.

Of course, like the sucker I am for Chicago sports, they've pulled me back in. I didn't think Pace had it in him to move up AND get a solid QB. I like this pick A LOT. Fields believes he's a perfect fit for Nagy's vision on offense. Is there a legit QB battle in camp or is Red Rocket firmly the week 1 starter?

Edited by Boilernation

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Observations after Day 1 of the draft:

• What’s the over/under on how long it will take Justin Fields to supplant the Red Rifle in Chicago? I make it 8 1/2 games.
  • The Raiders continued their tradition of reaching in the first round, taking the Alabama OT who was rated as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect by most.
  • Somehow, the Patriots ended up with the QB who is a great fit for their system. The haters are still trying to figure out how Belichek masterminded that one. They know he cheated. They just don’t know how.
  • The Cowboys will pair #1 pick Micah Parsons with Jaylon Smith to create the fastest pair of linebackers in the league.
  • Love the Steelers’ #1 pick Najee Harris as a player ... but taking a RB in the first round is of questionable value. They certainly need to find a running game to protect Big Ben. But with the retirement of Marquis Pouncey, they should have bolstered the running game by addressing the offensive line first.
  • I would take the under. Either an injury or slow start to the offense will have Nagy ready to pull the trigger
  • Haha. Definately cheated. I look forward to seeing how this one plays out. The Alabama hater in me is convinced he's a product of having an elite offense around him. 
  • Parsons is a STUD
  • Highly questionable. Same with Jax taking Etienne. Obviously, Harris and Etienne (perfectly suited for NFL passing game) are phenomenal backs, but going RB in Round 1 nowadays seems taboo.

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

WHO ARE THESE BEARS???

The move tonight was as PERFECT as it gets

Rondale going to Arizona is near perfect scenario for him too 

Cathedral's Peter Werner to Saints 

I’ve been watching clips of Jenkins. WOW. Right Tackle is resolved

• Like 2

So, the Saints have their successor to HOF Drew Brees:  😂🤣😅

https://www.onefootdown.com/2021/5/1/22414192/nfl-draft-2021-notre-dame-quarterback-ian-book-is-new-orleans-saints-fourth-round-pick-tony-jones-jr

NFL Draft 2021: Notre Dame Quarterback Ian Book is New Orleans Saints’ Fourth Round Pick

The New Orleans Saints have selected former Notre Dame Fighting Irish quarterback Ian Book in the fourth round.

Book is the 133rd overall selection and the sixth Notre Dame player taken in the 2021 NFL Draft. His rookie contract will be worth $4.15 million, which includes a $673,584 signing bonus, according to OverTheCap.com. 

Book joins a quarterback room that includes former Florida State standout Jameis Winston, former BYU signal-caller Taysom Hill and Trevor Siemian, who played his college ball at Northwestern.

Book is Notre Dame’s all-time winningest quarterback, posting a 30-5 record as a starter. The two-time captain also holds a few other records and is second to Brady Quinn in many others. 

Book was 728-for-1141 for 8,948 yards and 72 touchdowns in his four-year career (47 games, 35 starts). His career quarterback efficiency rating was 147.

The mobile quarterback also rushed 360 times for 1,518 yards and scored 17 touchdowns with his feet. 

This is the Saints’ 14th overall pick of a Notre Dame player, with the first being defensive end Kevin Hardy with the seventh overall pick in the 1968 NFL Draft and the most recent being Alize Mack in the seventh round of the 2019 NFL Draft. (Mack is currently a member of the Detroit Lions.)

The Saints do currently have Book’s former teammate, running back Tony Jones Jr., on their roster.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:07 PM, DE said:

I was sort of half watching, and only saw the Dad out of the corner of my eye briefly. My thought was “What was that? Did I see that right?” That guy was a monster!

• Haha 1

Here’s the comment from CBS’ draft tracker on the Bears second round pick:

39. Bears: Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma St.

Grade: A+

Home-run selection for Ryan Pace. Jenkins' film is first-round caliber. Nasty technician. Punishes people on a routine basis. Good length too. Big need at right tackle no more for Chicago.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sources: Colts sign free agent left tackle Eric Fisher

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2021/05/10/colts-sign-free-agent-lt-eric-fisher-according-source/4970377001/

The  Colts have finally found Anthony Castonzo's replacement at left tackle.

Indianapolis is signing long-time Kansas City Chiefs tackle Eric Fisher to a one-year deal worth up to $9.4 million, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to IndyStar on Monday, taking a gamble that Fisher will be able to recover from the torn Achilles tendon he suffered in the AFC Championship Game in January.

Fisher, 30, was released in March by the Chiefs, who then made a blockbuster trade with Baltimore to get Orlando Brown at left tackle, in large part because of Fisher's injury. A two-time Pro Bowl left tackle who was taken No. 1 overall in the 2013 NFL draft, Fisher is still only 30 and productive when healthy. 

Chiefs general manager Brett Veach has publicly expressed optimism Fisher could be ready for training camp this summer despite the injury, and the Colts apparently felt comfortable with Fisher's injury after a visit last week and tendering him a contract.

Looks to be a decent signing if Mr. Fisher's achilles tendon is fully healed by training camp.