Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cardinal Ritter hires Brad Purcell as new head coach

This is not meant to sound disrespectful, but I called this happening. The moment I saw Ritter was open, and I remembered the post last year about Mr.Purcell's connection to Catholic football in Indianapolis, I would have been more surprised if this union didn't happen than if it did. Good luck to him and good luck to Ritter. They have tough since the late 90's, I doubt that changes with this new regime. 

I think we had this conversation during the tournament as to whether CC was pulling (or might pull) players from Ritter.  

The answer put forth at the time by those closest was a resounding “No”. 

Has Ritter lost players these last several years?  Most likely - but not to CC.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

But is Ritter a Christian school?

(For a good time, bring up the "Are Catholics Christian?" question at your in-laws over dinner.) 😄

My point was that the Catholic schools such as Ritter, Guerin, Roncalli, Central Catholic, Chatard, Scecina, etc. tend to be connected to parishes within a certain diocese of the church. Covenant would not be part of the Catholic system. It's a private Christian school more like a Heritage Christian. 

Cathedral is a prep school and Brebeuf is a Jesuit school.

If I'm wrong on this or seem ignorant, I will gladly take the L. . 

Covenant wouldn't take students from Ritter normally because it's not another Catholic school. From what I'm hearing on this board, Ritter's been losing students to other Catholic schools.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 2

I would not be surprised that when Larry McWhorter listed his "Top 5 Keys to CC Football Success" on the big blackboard, Attract, Recruit and Retain Indy CYO Talent was at or near the top of the list.  

On 4/8/2021 at 9:59 AM, BDGiant93 said:

My point was that the Catholic schools such as Ritter, Guerin, Roncalli, Central Catholic, Chatard, Scecina, etc. tend to be connected to parishes within a certain diocese of the church. Covenant would not be part of the Catholic system. It's a private Christian school more like a Heritage Christian. 

Covenant wouldn't take students from Ritter normally because it's not another Catholic school. From what I'm hearing on this board, Ritter's been losing students to other Catholic schools.

I understood your point.  I was making an attempt at humor - which Lysander picked up on. If you are like me and have both Protestant and Catholic sides of the family, the Catholic/Christian discussion can turn interesting at times.  A wedding, baptism, confirmation, etc. can turn into the English War for Reformation if you're not careful. 

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, DT said:

I would not be surprised that when Larry McWhorter listed his "Top 5 Keys to CC Football Success" on the big blackboard, Attract, Recruit and Retain Indy CYO Talent was at or near the top of the list.  

No chance, and that likely comes from both sides. The IHSAA will tell him that CYO is off limits as far as being visible at games to see any possible talent. Those programs are viewed as feeders to the Catholic schools, so there is some latitude for HS coaches attending games. But no way CC actively recruits kids in Catholic schools or programs. One possibility for some exposure is if the CYO allowed CC teams to play like the do (or at least used to) with Heritage Christian. The only stipulation was no postseason games allowed for the HC teams. But I doubt HC gets kids from other CYO teams, so no reason to think CC will. 

Covenant Christian gets kids from Eastern Hendricks county.  Churches like Chapel Rock, Kingsway, and Plainfield Christian.  Could be considered “feeders”.  They occasionally get the IPS or big school transfer.  But mostly stick to the local church schools.

Edited by superjay

On 4/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, BDGiant93 said:

What exactly does that mean?? 

On 4/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, DT said:

You have quite an imagination.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Cathedral has long marketed itself as a college prep school in a Catholic tradition. That's what I meant. Am I incorrect? If I am, then I will gladly say so.

Copied/pasted straight from the Cathedral website:

"Cathedral High School is a private Catholic college-preparatory school affiliated with the Brothers of Holy Cross. Founded in 1918, it is one of the oldest and largest Catholic high schools in the state of Indiana and has a student body of nearly 1200 in grades 9 to 12."

So my question, and excuse my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly is a "college-preparatory school" ?? Does that mean their curriculum is solely based on sending kids to college?? No vocational classes?? 

4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Cathedral has long marketed itself as a college prep school in a Catholic tradition. That's what I meant. Am I incorrect? If I am, then I will gladly say so.

That’s pretty accurate.  They are considered a private school whereas Chatard, Ritter, Roncalli and Scecina are Catholic Archdiocese schools (ie. funded in part by and beholden to the Indianapolis Catholic Archdiocese).

As to the question above regarding vocational classes, I’m pretty confident that they don’t have “shop” class, etc. but does any single high school have that these days?  Serious question.  One of my kids took a cooking class at one time I believe.  

Which leads me to a story.  I tried to sign up for a Home Ec class back in the day because I wanted to learn to cook and was called into the Office for it.  It was literally scandalous.  They never let me take the class as it turned out.  I can barely warm an egg these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3