Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cardinal Ritter hires Brad Purcell as new head coach

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

That’s pretty accurate.  They are considered a private school whereas Chatard, Ritter, Roncalli and Scecina are Catholic Archdiocese schools (ie. funded in part by and beholden to the Indianapolis Catholic Archdiocese).

As to the question above regarding vocational classes, I’m pretty confident that they don’t have “shop” class, etc. but does any single high school have that these days?  Serious question.  One of my kids took a cooking class at one time I believe.  

Which leads me to a story.  I tried to sign up for a Home Ec class back in the day because I wanted to learn to cook and was called into the Office for it.  It was literally scandalous.  They never let me take the class as it turned out.  I can barely warm an egg these days.

BD has several traditional "shop" classes, but most if not all are part of the Area 31 Career Programs. As far as FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences), many of those have been adopted into the Area 31 Career Programs as parts of specific programs (and business classes for personal finance classes, etc) again as they are not required courses any longer at the high school level to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Which leads me to a story.  I tried to sign up for a Home Ec class back in the day because I wanted to learn to cook and was called into the Office for it.  It was literally scandalous.  They never let me take the class as it turned out.  I can barely warm an egg these days.

You sir are truly a renaissance man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

That’s pretty accurate.  They are considered a private school whereas Chatard, Ritter, Roncalli and Scecina are Catholic Archdiocese schools (ie. funded in part by and beholden to the Indianapolis Catholic Archdiocese).

Yep, that is the correct distinction, at least as we know it in Evansville. 

Can barely warm an egg....  LOL...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

BD has several traditional "shop" classes, but most if not all are part of the Area 31 Career Programs. As far as FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences), many of those have been adopted into the Area 31 Career Programs as parts of specific programs (and business classes for personal finance classes, etc) again as they are not required courses any longer at the high school level to my knowledge. 

I know Wayne, Washington, Warren all have excellent career and technology centers that are also open to neighboring districts. They have everything from "shop" classes to engineering to business to culinary arts to beautician. Students who attend these classes learn valuable skills and unique college prep opportunities.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, Lysander said:

As to the question above regarding vocational classes, I’m pretty confident that they don’t have “shop” class, etc. but does any single high school have that these days?  Serious question.  One of my kids took a cooking class at one time I believe.  

If you had been honest and just told them you wanted to meet chicks, they probably would have let you stay. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

If you had been honest and just told them you wanted to meet chicks, they probably would have let you stay. 😀

Well....that was what I was accused of.  Honest to God, though, I just wanted to learn how to cook.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Well....that was what I was accused of.  Honest to God, though, I just wanted to learn how to cook.

I didn't try to sign up for a class, but now that I'm retired, I keep asking my wife if certain things will work and she tells me "trial and error is the best cooking method". I told her it's the ONLY method when I do it, lol.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JustRules said:

I know Wayne, Washington, Warren all have excellent career and technology centers that are also open to neighboring districts. They have everything from "shop" classes to engineering to business to culinary arts to beautician. Students who attend these classes learn valuable skills and unique college prep opportunities.

Very true.