Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best, worst, most unique

I also always liked Kautz Field in Kokomo, nestled behind historic Memorial Gymnasium.  Unfortunately  it was ruined when they tore down the fantastic old covered grandstand seats, replaced them with generic metal bleachers, and moved the high school games to the field at the Hayworth building on the west side of town.    

50 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Fleur-De-Lis field in Greenfield, Illinois.  Hands down the best high school football stadium in the nation:

That name is what the NO Saints logo is right? Without knowing much about Greenfield, where does that name come from for their football field? I assume something to do with the 1800s and slaves that were harbored in the area, but honestly don't know.

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

What are the best, worst or most unique stadium you have been to?  It can one that does exist now or was bad but had been updated.

Best - Reitz Bowl

Unique - Snake Pit

7 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

That name is what the NO Saints logo is right? Without knowing much about Greenfield, where does that name come from for their football field? I assume something to do with the 1800s and slaves that were harbored in the area, but honestly don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis

The National Honor Society chapter at Greenfield High School is called the Fleur-De-Lis chapter. There may be a connection there, but I am not sure.  

EIAC

South Dearborn:

New turf Beautiful. Need stands replaced 

Batesville:

Home stands one of a kind. Nice venue 

Greensburg: 

Not visitor friendly.  Small stands on the ground. Visitor team press box on the ground. 👎

Rushville:

Old timey. Steak sandwiches from concessions 🤩🤩🤩🤩

East Central:

As everything else there. Top Class

Lawrenceburg:

Neat setting.  Good places to eat afterwards. Great place to play.

Connersville: 

Press box is nice.

Franklin County:

Visitors stands 👎 

3 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Best - Reitz Bowl

Unique - Snake Pit

Really like both of these stadiums. I have always liked Tell City's stadium. Middle of town, surrounded by houses, when they are good they have what appears to be parties at the house across the street. Field seems to always have good grass, thick and well maintained. Home stands are big enough and elevated. Good concession stand food. To me it is what small school football in a small town should be about. I love our (North Posey) field and location but there is something to being in the middle of the town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MEC

Eastern Hancock- Sits right on I-70 and is always windy.  Field runs East-West, so none of the fans are looking into the sun.  Pork Burgers are top notch!👍

Monroe Central- Excellent Locker rooms and concession stand setup.  Press box is nice and bleachers are pretty good on each side.

Shenandoah- Visitor bleachers are small, but the new locker rooms are nice.  Ham, green beans, and mashed potatoes in the press box 👍

Wes-Del- Visitor bleachers are tiny, and the press box has no roof access, but facilities are decent

North Decatur- New bleachers.  Always a fun atmosphere every time I have ever been to a game there.

5 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

What are the best, worst or most unique stadium you have been to?  It can one that does exist now or was bad but had been updated.

Unique: The old Hobart Brickie Bowl

The northside of the Bowl was concrete seating and grass hills that the Hobart faithful would pack along with structured seating in the parking lot above the Bowl. The west side of the Bowl had houses at the top where fans would watch from the yards. The "south" side of the bowl was a hill with active railroad tracks that were active. It was common for a train or two to pass through during a game. Fans would also watch games from up on the tracks. At the bottom of the hill, below the train tracks and on top of a creek, sat the visitor side bleachers. Below is a picture likely taken from the train tracks when the stadium was still used by the Brickies. I've also included an updated picture that shows the old visitor stands still in place and the homeside with new, smaller, stands. I'm not sure what the old Bowl is used for nowadays.

Best: Cincinnati St. Xavier. No track surrounding the field so fans are right on top of the action. Very big stadium.

Worst: Gary Wirt. There was dog feces on the field. 

53f6b18377a64.image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Boilernation said:

The northside of the Bowl was concrete seating and grass hills that the Hobart faithful would pack along with structured seating in the parking lot above the Bowl. The west side of the Bowl had houses at the top where fans would watch from the yards. The "south" side of the bowl was a hill with active railroad tracks that were active. It was common for a train or two to pass through during a game. Fans would also watch games from up on the tracks. At the bottom of the hill, below the train tracks and on top of a creek, sat the visitor side bleachers. Below is a picture likely taken from the train tracks when the stadium was still used by the Brickies. I've also included an updated picture that shows the old visitor stands still in place and the homeside with new, smaller, stands. I'm not sure what the old Bowl is used for nowadays.

Best: Cincinnati St. Xavier. No track surrounding the field so fans are right on top of the action. Very big stadium.

Worst: Gary Wirt. There was dog feces on the field. 

new brickie bowl.PNG

new brickie bowl.jfif

14 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

The BEST Stadium ... I am a bit biased.  However, this is a beautiful facility and a great place to watch a game on Friday night.

image.jpeg.58fbd3b0dfd57c442e9d1726642197e1.jpegBosse High School showcases newly completed renovations at Enlow Field

I've never been to Evansville, but from images I've seen I actually like Enlow better than Reitz. I'm hoping I can get to SW Indiana at some point to check out the Baseball stadium in Huntingburg, Bosse Field, Enwlo, and the Reitz Bowl.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

The northside of the Bowl was concrete seating and grass hills that the Hobart faithful would pack along with structured seating in the parking lot above the Bowl. The west side of the Bowl had houses at the top where fans would watch from the yards. The "south" side of the bowl was a hill with active railroad tracks that were active. It was common for a train or two to pass through during a game. Fans would also watch games from up on the tracks.

I have always said, the day the bulldozers come for the Brickie Bowl, I’ll be sitting up on those tracks in a lawn chair with a six pack, cheering them on.

If we’re limiting it to high school fields, I’d say Fawcett Stadium in Canton, OH, home of the Hall of Fame, and Paul Brown Stadium in Massillon, OH, because ... well geez, I was a 16 yr. old kid growing up in Ohio, it was the late 1960s, and it was freakin’ Massillon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

The groundwork for the WPA construction was cool as the stream that flows under the visitors bleachers was rerouted. in the beginning the stream traveled from the Northwest corner of the picture to the Southeast. Through backfilling and many loads of stone the stream was redirected due East for about 150 + yards, then took a course of almost due North to connect to Deep River. In the beginning Brickie Bowl was little more that a ravine !

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I have always said, the day the bulldozers come for the Brickie Bowl, I’ll be sitting up on those tracks in a lawn chair with a six pack, cheering them on.

I'll see your six pack and raise you a case... we will not see the Brickie Bowl as it stands bulldozed in our lifetime. (I know you are about my age)

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I can not get to pictures from this laptop (if anyone would like to toss them in here, feel free), but does anyone remember when the Brickie Bowl flooded in 2008?  If you do a google search of Brickie Bowl flooded, it will bring you to numerous links.

IMSC, We (Crown Point) were the last visiting HS team to play there before the 100 year rain.  It was raining for weeks.

7 minutes ago, DE said:

I can not get to pictures from this laptop (if anyone would like to toss them in here, feel free), but does anyone remember when the Brickie Bowl flooded in 2008?  If you do a google search of Brickie Bowl flooded, it will bring you to numerous links.

IMSC, We (Crown Point) were the last visiting HS team to play there before the 100 year rain.  It was raining for weeks.

Aerial Brickie Bowl | dvddean | Flickr

1 hour ago, DE said:

Remember it well.