Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best, worst, most unique

I'm biased, but Adams Central's Minnich Field is the best natural grass field I've been on. We have a fantastic maintenance crew at AC that takes care of the field. There's no better example than the regional championship game against South Adams in 2019. We had just got 6+" of snow and the crew spent hours clearing the field and getting it in relatively fantastic shape for us to play on.

In terms of other ACAC schools, I think Bluffton and Heritage have the best facilities. The locker rooms are fairly new and right next to the field and the turf fields look fantastic. Home and away stands are really nice and are good sizes.

One of the more unique settings I've seen is at Tri High. We travelled there last year and their football field and athletic facilities were really nice (all turf softball field). The unique part is that it seemed like the football field was a quarter mile+ away from the locker rooms/school. I'm sure it wasn't that far, but it was definitely a walk and neither team messed with walking back to the locker rooms at halftime.

c6ba949a9ddc0f1c-fb-sa11.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 10.47.32 AM.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goose Liver said:

There was a certain coach that fished Brickie Bowl just after the flood and caught a few !

I KNEW IT!  🤣

I was looking for that picture.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Just curious. How many eyes did those fish have, and where were they located?

The 20 weirdest fish in the ocean - CSMonitor.com

• Haha 1

I speak ONLY as an alumni that played at Lake Central.

Best---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (it was our home and we defended it w/ everything we had).

Worst---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (it was a dump, but it was our dump---see above).

Unique---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (field ran E/W and you could watch the game from US 41 if needed (1994 Regional vs. Portage) and it had a HUGE crown.

@Bobrefmemories?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE said:

I speak ONLY as an alumni that played at Lake Central.

Best---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (it was our home and we defended it w/ everything we had).

Worst---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (it was a dump, but it was our dump---see above).

Unique---Lake Central "Burial Grounds" (field ran E/W and you could watch the game from US 41 if needed (1994 Regional vs. Portage) and it had a HUGE crown.

@Bobrefmemories?

The Burial Grounds was literally a football field put on a swamp. Portage was late to arrive for the '94 Regional because of the amount of traffic on Indianapolis Blvd trying to get to St. John and into the parking lot. 

21 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

The Burial Grounds was literally a football field put on a swamp. Portage was late to arrive for the '94 Regional because of the amount of traffic on Indianapolis Blvd trying to get to St. John and into the parking lot. 

And?  Wear your muck boots and LET'S GO! 😉

Didn't matter.  You still won, 21-7.  

I threw 2 interceptions, which Portage converted to 2 touchdowns.  Sadly, I remember it like it was yesterday.

1 hour ago, DE said:

@Bobrefmemories?

Lots of memories, but “best?” Certainly not, although the atmosphere was very good back in the day. The playing surface itself sucked, as you well know. They let the grass grow unbelievably long to disguise the unevenness of the surface. Because it was in a bowl, grass that long never really dried out. And if it actually rained? Forget it.

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Lots of memories, but “best?” Certainly not, although the atmosphere was very good back in the day. The playing surface itself sucked, as you well know. They let the grass grow unbelievably long to disguise the unevenness of the surface. Because it was in a bowl, grass that long never really dried out. And if it actually rained? Forget it.

Facts!

23 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I've never been to Evansville, but from images I've seen I actually like Enlow better than Reitz. I'm hoping I can get to SW Indiana at some point to check out the Baseball stadium in Huntingburg, Bosse Field, Enwlo, and the Reitz Bowl.

Shhh.  You might hurt Reitz Bowl's feelings, but you are 100% correct.  LOL.  Here's a shot of Enlow from the 2018 Semi-State game between Evansville Memorial and Bishop Chatard.  

IMG_1252.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, Trojanmp52 said:

What are the best, worst or most unique stadium you have been to?  It can one that does exist now or was bad but had been updated.

Best: Any of the MIC stadiums. Usually very user-friendly especially since the Lawrences upgraded. 

Worst: Fishers. Nothing against the stadium, but the amenities are very outdated. 

Unique: St. X. I about died climbing to the top of the home side. Pretty cool stadium.

Really like Southport Cardinal Stadium or whatever car dealership is sponsoring it now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tango said:

Shhh.  You might hurt Reitz Bowl's feelings, but you are 100% correct.  LOL.  Here's a shot of Enlow from the 2018 Semi-State game between Evansville Memorial and Bishop Chatard.  

IMG_1252.jpg

It has an old school feel like something out of the 30s in terms of the massive covered bleachers.  There’s really nothing quite like it that I’m aware of today.

It’s a pretty intimidating place too when you look across the field at the packed stands.

I recall after losing there people billowing out of the stands like a human wave.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Best: Any of the MIC stadiums. Usually very user-friendly especially since the Lawrences upgraded. 

Worst: Fishers. Nothing against the stadium, but the amenities are very outdated. 

Unique: St. X. I about died climbing to the top of the home side. Pretty cool stadium.

Really like Southport Cardinal Stadium or whatever car dealership is sponsoring it now.

Made that hike a couple times at X. It is a great environment. Still hate them, but incredible environment. 😁 The most noticeable thing is no track, so the fans are on top of you. But yeah, that climb.....unreal

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Because bigger is better?   I still can't figure out how one can sit in the stands and have the score on the scoreboard partially obscured. I suspect it may well be for the home side fans as well.